Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chargers every 150 miles would be adequate. 120 would be better. But 50 mi apart is overkill and not feasible in some places. 150 mi apart on any primary highway is needed, not 50 mi interval on interstates, & ignore the other highways.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Chargers every 150 miles would be adequate. 120 would be better. But 50 mi apart is overkill and not feasible in some places. 150 mi apart on any primary highway is needed, not 50 mi interval on interstates, & ignore the other highways.
There's another $2.5B of charging stations for the rural and underserved areas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Chargers every 50 miles doesn't just give you chargers closer together, it also gives you 3 times as many chargers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
More locations and more overall chargers increases the redundancy. Nothing like pulling into a station with all chargers down and the next one 150 miles away.
Yep, it gives you more bailout options or keep-it-moving options depending on your estimated remaining miles. Let's you use more of your battery, since you only need a spare 50 miles to make it to the next station if one is down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm sure I could model it with Minitab, but less chargers at a station and closer together with the same total number and the faster charge rate at the low end of state of charge might actually result in less waiting and less time spent at the chargers, but the model would also need to account for overhead of getting to the charger from the route and setup/teardown time.

I would love to see someone qualified to do this kind of research to help guide where that ton of money should go for US EVSE stations, especially in the rural west.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm sure I could model it with Minitab, but less chargers at a station and closer together with the same total number and the faster charge rate at the low end of state of charge might actually result in less waiting and less time spent at the chargers, but the model would also need to account for overhead of getting to the charger from the route and setup/teardown time.

I would love to see someone qualified to do this kind of research to help guide where that ton of money should go for US EVSE stations, especially in the rural west.
The requirement is no fewer than four DC fast chargers per station.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Preferred AWD LR
29 Posts
I'm sure I could model it with Minitab, but less chargers at a station and closer together with the same total number and the faster charge rate at the low end of state of charge might actually result in less waiting and less time spent at the chargers, but the model would also need to account for overhead of getting to the charger from the route and setup/teardown time. I would love to see someone qualified to do this kind of research to help guide where that ton of money should go for US EVSE stations, especially in the rural west.
People do definitely collect at certain stations sometimes, which you'd also want to take into account. I accidentally ended up at the charging station that's 200 miles from both the bay area and LA twice and it was always full, but stations on both sides had several free spots.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's where the frequent/short rule is handy. Especially if you in a better charge rate portion of the curve. As long as the charging station is in a decent area with low overhead from the route, more often is probably just fine. Unless it's 120 degrees outside...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts