Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just to be clear, none of this discussion actually applies to the bZ4X or Solterra at this time, correct?

I saw some of those articles a while back and was excited about the prospect of getting the latest battery technology, but we seem to have gone in the opposite direction, at least with the AWD.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good point. I should have said that LFPs are not the kind of Lithium-ion battery typically used in a modern BEV due to relatively low energy density compared to, for example, an NMC chemistry version (90-120Wh/kg vs 150-220Wh/kg).
Times are changing!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I contacted Subaru of America in mid-May to see if they would provide additional information on the battery chemistry for the Solterra. I had a nice rep that looked into it and got back to me regularly to tell me he was in contact with Product Development and awaiting details from them. Finally, today he got back to me with an answer:

"I heard back from our Product Development. The available information on the battery for the Solterra is that it is a lithium-ion battery. Further specifications for the chemistry for the battery are proprietary."

Probably not a great sign, because if they could brag about the long life or great safety of their batteries, I would assume they would be doing it. Hopefully, Subaru will release more information or we'll get some real-world data before we need to decide whether to pull the trigger on this vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts