Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
LOL. Total interior volume is about 5% smaller on the Solterra so I imagine you could do almost as well. It is kind of sad that the proper way to do that is with a trailer, which you cannot do with the Solterra. Officially at least.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What are you [doing] with all that root beer? I’m worried about you bud!
It was a huge school fundraiser selling root beer floats, but it prompted the vehicle comparison term in our house, "The root beer test."

For those interested, I think it was 72 bottles (and that was with the seats up), and sorry for turning a logging thread into a bad soda habit conversation.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a huge school fundraiser selling root beer floats, but it prompted the vehicle comparison term in our house, "The root beer test."

For those interested, I think it was 72 bottles (and that was with the seats up), and sorry for turning a logging thread into a bad soda habit conversation.
Haha, not really. It's about what you can stuff into a Subaru,... that maybe you shouldn't. A logging truck dumped a load of scrub logs (not suitable for the sawmill) on the FSR near our cabins for us, so everyone grabbing them for firewood before all gone. Really dense fir wood (and heavy) but makes excellent long, slow, hot burning for our fireplace and hot tub. But my splitter really groans to crack these pieces.

Anyway, the Solterra is the only EV SUV that I know of at this time that could handle the road to our cabin. I will give a plug to our Crosstrek, too, as it is a real champ there. Not just with the clearance, but how it handles the rough stuff. Used to have a 4WD truck to go there, but it was very rough driving (teeth rattling) over the bumps and pot holes in the road. The Crosstrek with its soft on top long travel suspension just glides over the bumps. We just have to dodge the big pot holes, as it more easily bottoms out on the suspension, since we are always pretty loaded, too, when we go there. My son has an older Forester (previous platform) and it is not near as good as the Crosstrek. I just hope the Solterra is up to the mission.

·
Registered
355 Posts
...I just hope the Solterra is up to the mission.
It should be, you'll just have to watch the bottoming out a bit more. With the wheels pushed out so far the break-over angle and reduced ground clearance (over the Crosstrek) will mean careful lines traversing the hilly stuff.

This is a ski shack halfway up a mountain that took some care to navigate the trails. Subaru's will certainly get you some interesting places, even without ground clearance.
Tire Wheel Plant Car Land vehicle

And here's a little better view of the terrain, after I traded in the Legacy for my first Outback. The same shack is in the background, but the Legacy couldn't quite make it up the last bit of the trail to the one I'm parked at in this picture. The Outback wasn't even breathing hard.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
355 Posts
Another task the Solterra is hopefully up for -- toting around 600 pounds of rocks.

I wish I had pictures of the 800 pounds of boulders I had from the rock yard, but this is close. My 2014 Outback had a cardboard floor/cover in the back so I had to be careful, but when I got a 2016 Outback it was nice to see it was fiberglass or some kind of composite material/blend, and the 2018 has an equally strong cargo floor/storage cover.

I'm pretty leery about the 2 little rails holding up the Solterra cargo floor, so it will probably need a piece of plywood under the cargo mat, but hopefully there are no unseen issues with hauling stuff that "utility" vehicles are supposed to deal with.
Car Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate Hood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts