Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would have to guess that is a significant contributing factor for not announcing the price.
I remember KIA did the same thing with the EV6. It took them a LONG time to announce Canadian pricing after the US pricing was announced. In other markets like Europe, it was priced a good amount above the Ioniq 5, but at the end, for Canada, to meet the iZEV criteria, they were very similar.
Looking at the Canada's BZ4X pricing, it must have been very difficult for Subaru to come up with a starting price of under 45k with the old rule, given that the BZ4X was FWD and Subaru has AWD standard.
Now that the rule has changed, they are most likely trying to figure out if their current trim level/pricing still make sense as it gives them significant more room to play with (up to 60k starting).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I received mid April ,well before new EV credit announcement, pre factory preliminary bill of sale from my Subaru dealer with MSRP 49995
PDI 1990 without any indication of the trim
So my guess it was preliminary price for premium trim
This is just my speculation and Subaru could change their policy after new EV credit limits

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
I have a feeling the top tech trim Solterra will be more expensive than the top tech bZ4X in Canada. The Solterra is better equipped at that level. Memory seats, digital rear view mirror, more driving modes and regen options (paddles).
I suspect starting price at 55 to align with AWD Toyota. Luxury 60. Tech 63-65.

EDIT: Actually I change my opinion. The entry AWD Toyota at 55k is better equipped than the entry Solterra. Therefore the entry Solterra will be somewhere between 50-55 (cheaper than the AWD Toyota). Luxury will be somewhere between 55-60 and Tech will be 60-65. I still can't see the tech Solterra being the same price or cheaper than the tech Toyota though. Because it would just be stupid if anyone picked the Toyota at that point since the Solterra is better equipped. Unless Subaru is considered a more 'value' brand so their price would be cheaper? but I don't think that is true. But than again, the top GR86 is around $2k more than the BRZ and they are similarly equipped.

·
Registered
354 Posts
...The entry AWD Toyota at 55k is better equipped than the entry Solterra. Therefore the entry Solterra will be somewhere between 50-55 (cheaper than the AWD Toyota). Luxury will be somewhere between 55-60 and Tech will be 60-65. I still can't see the tech Solterra being the same price or cheaper than the tech Toyota though. Because it would just be stupid if anyone picked the Toyota at that point since the Solterra is better equipped. Unless Subaru is considered a more 'value' brand so their price would be cheaper? but I don't think that is true. But than again, the top GR86 is around $2k more than the BRZ and they are similarly equipped.
Figuring out balanced pricing and value propositions across brands and models is certainly a huge part of coming out with a shared product like this (endless finance versus marketing battles are likely raging). One the major exclusions (in my mind anyway) from the Solterra is the lack of ability to get the radiant heaters in ANY trim level. My personal belief is that this one feature was what drove the lack of a glovebox, and excluding it from Solterra's is just a huge slap in the face to Subaru customers.

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
Figuring out balanced pricing and value propositions across brands and models is certainly a huge part of coming out with a shared product like this (endless finance versus marketing battles are likely raging). One the major exclusions (in my mind anyway) from the Solterra is the lack of ability to get the radiant heaters in ANY trim level. My personal belief is that this one feature was what drove the lack of a glovebox, and excluding it from Solterra's is just a huge slap in the face to Subaru customers.
I hear ya. Personally, for my situation where I am in southern Ontario and my driving situation, I would prefer the globe box. I don't need the radiant heaters. Heated seats and steering wheel already does me plenty good enough in my gas cars. So I'm more disappointed about not getting a glove box in the absence of the radiant heaters haha
if they aren't using the space for the heaters, clearly they could have made a couple unique plastic interior trim pieces to make their own glove box! common Subaru! haha

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you look in the owner’s manual at the process for changing the air conditioning filter, it looks to me like the plastic panel that comes off is ripe for someone to 3D print a replacement that includes a storage compartment of sorts (maybe it closes, maybe it doesn’t). I also think tilt-out storage bins for the lower center console would be a good idea to conceal what’s stored and improve access/convenience.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I have to agree with your comment about excluding, seams quite stupid... although, I also looked at the things that the Solterra is getting but the bZ4X is not and felt the same way that direction! Its all about marketing, and I also feel they withheld these features so they can add them to future releases of the car ... trying to make us feel better about the "upgrades" they are going to say they are going to make to the car! bwhahah! (although, those of us that are watching very closely will just feel like crap that our first version cars don't have them!).

Missing from the bZ4X:
Digital rearview mirror
Advanced Parking feature (button)
Pre-set Seat settings
Fog Lights
... I think i'm missing something ...

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
I have to agree with your comment about excluding, seams quite stupid... although, I also looked at the things that the Solterra is getting but the bZ4X is not and felt the same way that direction! Its all about marketing, and I also feel they withheld these features so they can add them to future releases of the car ... trying to make us feel better about the "upgrades" they are going to say they are going to make to the car! bwhahah! (although, those of us that are watching very closely will just feel like crap that our first version cars don't have them!).

Missing from the bZ4X:
Digital rearview mirror
Pre-set Seat settings
Fog Lights
[/QU

Missing from the bZ4X:
Digital rearview mirror
Pre-set Seat settings
Fog Lights
in Canada, the “Tech” package is also apparently getting headlight washer sprayers, rear camera washer sprayer, interior ambient lighting (not sure if the bZ4X is getting any of these?). However, I don’t have faith in this very early feature brochure anymore. Some of these things will probably be absent from the final car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts