Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of specifications or features would you like to see on the upcoming Solterra in order to seriously consider replacing your existing vehicle?

I bought my Outback XT about 6 months ago. The fuel cost is my biggest complaint, since I drive so much city. It is slightly lower than I expected. Highway mpg is good.

I would need the Solterra to have a range of 300 miles or more, factoring in that this will be close to halved in the coldest winter months. I have access to fast charging, but I would like to see them use the CCS connector.

I would want to have a spare tire, donut is fine. There are some things the tire goop can’t fix. I’d have to consider an aftermarket brand like Modern Spare if it wasn’t OEM.

I’d also like to have a dash cam. Forward facing is enough, rear would be nice also. Would be good to have it accessible through a card or MySubaru app.

Would like to have an option to vent windows like the Tesla models do for hot weather…

Charging at home, would like 5-15 and 5-20 charging over 120V, and of course a 240V option. Would be nice to also have an OEM 240V L2 option that comes with car rather than having to buy a third party one.

Most importantly the Cost - I’m hoping this is available for around $35k to $40k before rebates and incentives. Considering the F-150 Lightning is entering at $40k, I believe it’s feasible.

·
Administrator
60 Posts
You hit a good portion of my wants...

Range 300+ > sub 5.0 to 60 times.

A 'tad' more refinement of the (practically all in one) head unit GUI system. Take what's in the Gen6 Subaru and fine tune those quirks out of it.

Make sure the wheels aren't fugly. (Nitpicking)

Ventilated seats, not just heated for our SoCal weather.

Dash cameras, F&R would be excellent. Not side like the T's

Factory mounted 2" receiver hitch for bike racks.
(1.25" inadequate, imo) Not a fan of roof mounted bike carriers.

Reactions: Pilot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I'm considering the Solterra (if I can get a hand on it) when available in Canada. Everywhere I've read, they all said about 300 miles (480 km) range. Knowing Subaru for many years, very unlikely they'll provide a dashcam and rear camera for your personal use.
Btw, you may need a gas-powered generator if you're planning long-distance camping. 😉

·
Administrator
60 Posts
@Mr. WRX, that's what the trailer hitch would be useful for.... Mount a flat rack & generator from Harbor Freight..... and off you go. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Range 300+ > sub 5.0 to 60 times.

A 'tad' more refinement of the (practically all in one) head unit GUI system. Take what's in the Gen6 Subaru and fine tune those quirks out of it.

Make sure the wheels aren't fugly. (Nitpicking)

Ventilated seats, not just heated for our SoCal weather.

Dash cameras, F&R would be excellent. Not side like the T's

Factory mounted 2" receiver hitch for bike racks.
(1.25" inadequate, imo) Not a fan of roof mounted bike carriers.
I agree with a majority of this. I’m a big fan of options. I truly dislike that many manufacturers force larger rims on the “upper” trim options. I could understand not wanting steelies on your EV because of the weight, but for me it’s about the sidewall profile and pothole damage. So, I’d rather have a 15-16” alloy tire with huge sidewall compared to the massive 18 or 19’s with a low profile that tend to get damage with road imperfections which usually also damage the rim.

Having driven many Subarus and my first XT, I personally would be ok with an 8 second 0-60 time. I know not everyone will agree with me on this, but I am not going 0-60 in the city, ever. It’s more like 0-35-10-30-5-0-35-45-20-0 on loop. And I’ve found with the recent modern Subarus I’ve owned or driven including the FB20 in the Trek and the FB25 in the Fozzy, they are fine for me through 45ish.

I agree with keeping the infotainment “simple” and refining what we have now. I’d even be okay with the 8” Infotainment Plus instead of the giant one in my Outback since I very seldom had problems with the 8” in the Forester.

Ventilated Seats could be a nice option. I don’t want them so I hope I’m not forced into it. Just one more thing to draw energy - I’ll just “remote start” the climate function to cool it down.

I also think a 2” receiver makes sense. Thule makes an adapter to drop it to 1.25” in a pinch if needed.

Fingers crossed. If someone at Subaru reads this, I will happily volunteer to beta test the Solterra. Come take my Outback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Gen 6 Outback, so i am used to a quiet and smooth highway ride. I like taking long trips in a comfortable car. If the Solterra turns out to be an electrified RAV 4, I may have to pass it up. A lot also depends on what the competition is offering in a 2/3 years, and how everything finally gets priced.

Quite frankly I want to see how Toyota/Subaru keep up with their BEV competition. They are very late getting into the game. By the time Toyota/Subaru are selling their first BEV, their competitors will be getting ready to launch their next gen cars. Grueling market out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Gen 6 Outback, so i am used to a quiet and smooth highway ride. I like taking long trips in a comfortable car. If the Solterra turns out to be an electrified RAV 4, I may have to pass it up. A lot also depends on what the competition is offering in a 2/3 years, and how everything finally gets priced.

Quite frankly I want to see how Toyota/Subaru keep up with their BEV competition. They are very late getting into the game. By the time Toyota/Subaru are selling their first BEV, their competitors will be getting ready to launch their next gen cars. Grueling market out there.
Welcome to the forum @Subie Longtimer! Are there other EVs you're keeping an eye out for over the next couple of years?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What type of specifications or features would you like to see on the upcoming Solterra in order to seriously consider replacing your existing vehicle?

I bought my Outback XT about 6 months ago. The fuel cost is my biggest complaint, since I drive so much city. It is slightly lower than I expected. Highway mpg is good.

I would need the Solterra to have a range of 300 miles or more, factoring in that this will be close to halved in the coldest winter months. I have access to fast charging, but I would like to see them use the CCS connector.

I would want to have a spare tire, donut is fine. There are some things the tire goop can’t fix. I’d have to consider an aftermarket brand like Modern Spare if it wasn’t OEM.

I’d also like to have a dash cam. Forward facing is enough, rear would be nice also. Would be good to have it accessible through a card or MySubaru app.

Would like to have an option to vent windows like the Tesla models do for hot weather…

Charging at home, would like 5-15 and 5-20 charging over 120V, and of course a 240V option. Would be nice to also have an OEM 240V L2 option that comes with car rather than having to buy a third party one.

Most importantly the Cost - I’m hoping this is available for around $35k to $40k before rebates and incentives. Considering the F-150 Lightning is entering at $40k, I believe it’s feasible.
300 miles at least is a must. The more range the better, especially for when winter comes around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Subie Longtimer! Are there other EVs you're keeping an eye out for over the next couple of years?
Thanks!
I'd really like to keep up with the future Toyota/Subaru BEV, but it looks like it is 2 years away and therefore we won't get detailed tech info or driving impressions for at least another year, or longer.

I am trying to keep up with Tesla. IMO it doesn't matter what your feelings are about the brand or its CEO, Tesla is the BEV benchmark since they have ten plus years head start on everybody else. Every new BEV cheap or expensive gets benchmark against Tesla.

Tesla are also designed from the getgo as BEVs, so they aren't as stuck in the old ways of ICE car design, as other manufacturers are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome @Subie Longtimer.
Since you have some experience with the brand, what would you like to see Subaru to do the Solterra?
IMO it was easy for Subaru to maintain a unique identity when they had their boxer powertrain. They could take a Toyota body shell, stick a Subaru boxer with Subaru AWD in it, and I would be pretty happy to call it a Subaru. But with this first BEV that they are doing with Toyota, it will be a lot harder for them to keep their separate brand identity.

To keep the brand alive they can focus on strengths they have already been building: safety systems (what will happen to Eyesight?), software for battery use, motor control, AWD that is their own, not borrowed from Toyota; customer service at the dealer and corporate levels (Toyota is not known for this); environmental responsibility.

Any other ideas? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO it was easy for Subaru to maintain a unique identity when they had their boxer powertrain. They could take a Toyota body shell, stick a Subaru boxer with Subaru AWD in it, and I would be pretty happy to call it a Subaru. But with this first BEV that they are doing with Toyota, it will be a lot harder for them to keep their separate brand identity.

To keep the brand alive they can focus on strengths they have already been building: safety systems (what will happen to Eyesight?), software for battery use, motor control, AWD that is their own, not borrowed from Toyota; customer service at the dealer and corporate levels (Toyota is not known for this); environmental responsibility.

Any other ideas? :)
Not sure if this diagram will help. As for Eyesight, will incorporate the new Gen 4 version.
View attachment 39

·
Registered
13 Posts
So does this mean that the new Subaru platform isn't going to have a frunk since the electric motor is in the front?
Nakamura-san already mentioned at his press conference that SBR will use the Toyota platform. As far as I know, Subaru will modify the platform specifically for its symmetrical all-wheel-drive system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like frunks since they give extra cargo space. They take advantage of the fact that the electric motor is smaller than an ICE, and does not need the same ancillary equipment.

However some 1st gen EVs are really electrified ICE platforms, and don't have frunks or just small ones. I looked at a Hyundai EV (don't remember which one) a while back and there was no frunk. Like they stuck the electric motor in where there used to be an ICE. IMO a rush design job to get the first gen EV out the door. The VW ID4 has a small frunk, with the front compartment filled up with other stuff like the heat pump, fuse boxes, and other stuff. Not the best packaging of components.

I haven't seen where Toyota or Subaru have revealed any details about how their EV will be laid out. I guess the Solterra will have to be AWD. Subaru can I guess make this a system that works similar to their current systems by using their own software. There won't be a driveshaft to the rear. AFAIK all EVs with 4 driven wheels have a motor at each end to do that and the drive from the motor is controlled by software.

Alex has the most detailed comments on the prototype that I have seen, but they weren't allowed to open the hood. I'm waiting " with bated breath" for the first drives of these cars and to see what differs between the Toyota and the Subaru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to see how much interior "space" is actually available - that's going to be key to whether I go from mildly interested to counting the days to when it gets delivered to me.
Range - this depends on battery chemistry and with the latest news around these two siblings will have a newer type of battery, I will be waiting to see how that impacts not only range, but longevity also.
Also will Subaru be able to keep that Subaru advantage of an elevated ride height?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts