Subaru Solterra Forum banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dealership (in the Boston area) has corroborated that information. A couple of the cars that were intended to be delivered to our dealership had arrived at the port in July but Subaru wouldn't allow them to be delivered to the dealership because of the lug bolt issue.
My dealer in PA was saying September and an update yesterday says the Sales Manager thinks September is now 'unlikely'. Anyone in the US have a VIN yet?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I suspect that even if some folks have actual VINs, it really doesn’t mean anything. Some posters on the bZ4x forum have stated they have/had VINs, yet they appear no closer to seeing, much less taking delivery of their vehicles that any Solterra customer currently… nor do they have any more information than the rest of us.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I suspect that even if some folks have actual VINs, it really doesn’t mean anything. Some posters on the bZ4x forum have stated they have/had VINs, yet they appear no closer to seeing, much less taking delivery of their vehicles that any Solterra customer currently… nor do they have any more information than the rest of us.
I've had my bZ4X VIN since mid June. The bZ is sitting in the Port of New York since July 18th. I even have it connected to my Toyota app, lol. I can see the charge and the original recall message for it. No movement on the app. No movement from the dealer screenshots either. Still on QC hold for 126 days starting date of June 28th (not sure why that day).

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same thing was mentioned to me by my dealer here in Minnesota. 5 Aug he said delivery in September. I gave him until the middle of September (ta da) to reach out and ask if that was still the target. Felt like he lied and had to back track his answer based on the response. “Still no VIN yet…” to “my system hasn’t updated so hopefully next month”. He didn’t want to commit to something again that would clearly get him in trouble. I’d be shocked if something was delivered by 31 December at this point. I haven’t been able to put the rest of my deposit down on an ID4 so I have concerns all around even though several C40s and ID4s have shown up in our area.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Having a VIN would mean that the car actually exists though, right?
A VIN only means that a unique vehicle identifier number has been assigned by the manufacturer to a vehicle scheduled for immediate production or one that has already been produced. Until the vehicle is actually verified by the manufacturer as being assembled and has passed the necessary QC checks, the VIN doesn’t actually qualify as certification the vehicle can be placed into service.

In other words, at the very minimum, a VIN indicates the intent of a manufacture to assemble a vehicle in short order, but it usually indicates a vehicle has already been assembled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A VIN only means that a unique vehicle identifier number has been assigned by the manufacturer to a vehicle scheduled for immediate production or one that has already been produced. Until the vehicle is actually verified by the manufacturer as being assembled and has passed the necessary QC checks, the VIN doesn’t actually qualify as certification the vehicle can be placed into service.

In other words, at the very minimum, a VIN indicates the intent of a manufacture to assemble a vehicle in short order, but it usually indicates a vehicle has already been assembled.
From what I've read, Toyota issues a temporary VIN that goes with the vehicle through assembly and changes to a final VIN once complete. Don't quote me on that though as I could be a little foggy on the whole situation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Spoke to my Florida-area Subaru dealer and I think the GM came out to speak to me (he was pretty senior at the dealership).

• I have a VIN assigned (in addition to a VON) to my order. He does not know if my Solterra was actually built or not. It could be somewhere on a ship or parked on a lot. I was first to submit a factory order on April 28th(?) when we were allowed to convert our reservations into an order. They still have my $1K or $2K deposit (I forget lol).
  • Toyota and Subaru are joined and Toyota takes all manufacturing responsibilities. Supposedly the Solterra uses a different wheel lock mechanism but it doesn't matter because Toyota is responsible for all manufacturing, certification, compliance, etc. and Subaru is at the whim of Toyota.
  • The factory is supposed still not building new Solterras at the moment and ETA is end of year but even that is not guaranteed.

If it is true that Solterra uses a different wheel lock/mount mechanism... I wonder if Canadian Solterras could be delivered first because they would go through a different compliance/regulatory system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
I should point out its different in Canada. All the Americans posting are mostly not paying attention to this fact. As I said my dealer told me there were people out fixing the wheel problem, likely with a stud kit, and they would get a fixed demo soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Spoke to my Florida-area Subaru dealer and I think the GM came out to speak to me (he was pretty senior at the dealership).

• I have a VIN assigned (in addition to a VON) to my order. He does not know if my Solterra was actually built or not. It could be somewhere on a ship or parked on a lot. I was first to submit a factory order on April 28th(?) when we were allowed to convert our reservations into an order. They still have my $1K or $2K deposit (I forget lol).
  • Toyota and Subaru are joined and Toyota takes all manufacturing responsibilities. Supposedly the Solterra uses a different wheel lock mechanism but it doesn't matter because Toyota is responsible for all manufacturing, certification, compliance, etc. and Subaru is at the whim of Toyota.
  • The factory is supposed still not building new Solterras at the moment and ETA is end of year but even that is not guaranteed.

If it is true that Solterra uses a different wheel lock/mount mechanism... I wonder if Canadian Solterras could be delivered first because they would go through a different compliance/regulatory system.
That's kinda disconcerting that they are not sure where your car might be. I wonder if this poses any problems in being able to track down all cars that need to be fixed. I know there was a poster on the bz4x forum who had the car in his garage after signing a waiver that he would not drive it. Toyobaru better keep a good list of VINs and where the cars are located.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's kinda disconcerting that they are not sure where your car might be. I wonder if this poses any problems in being able to track down all cars that need to be fixed. I know there was a poster on the bz4x forum who had the car in his garage after signing a waiver that he would not drive it. Toyobaru better keep a good list of VINs and where the cars are located.
Not all that surprising if the dealer doesn't know. But I'm sure Subaru would know exactly where all the cars are.

·
Registered
14 Posts

While I feel certain a dealer would know about the VIN, I'm not sure at all one would know what a Toyota factory is or isn't producing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
While I feel certain a dealer would know about the VIN, I'm not sure at all one would know what a Toyota factory is or isn't producing?
I doubt a dealership knows much of anything, especially the production line at the plant!

Although, this is not definitive that they are producing the bZ4X / Solterra at the moment, but the plant did open back up for production on 9/7.... Although, i feel their focus right now is getting the CROWN out now while they stay quiet about the bZ44X / Solterra (since they are under the blanket of the Recall at the moment, so why not waste more time on something that became a thorn in their side... and get their Pride and Joy out to market ... The Crown).

Anyway, here is the September production for the plant: September Production Plan | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

·
Registered
135 Posts
So the person I spoke with was the GM. I looked up his info and he was no scrub salesperson or sales manager. He mentioned he was in a Solterra but wasn't allowed to drive it. His contact is not on the main dealer website... but I googled GM of XXXXXX dealer and found his name.

He seemed to have some inside sources but honestly even him telling me "before the end of year" for the Solterra seemed optimistic since I haven't heard of a fix. Yet he believes the Solterra wheel issue is a non-issue because of the different design which is the first time I've heard this. Is the wheel bolt design the same on the two cars?

·
Registered
186 Posts
So the person I spoke with was the GM. I looked up his info and he was no scrub salesperson or sales manager. He mentioned he was in a Solterra but wasn't allowed to drive it. His contact is not on the main dealer website... but I googled GM of XXXXXX dealer and found his name.

He seemed to have some inside sources but honestly even him telling me "before the end of year" for the Solterra seemed optimistic since I haven't heard of a fix. Yet he believes the Solterra wheel issue is a non-issue because of the different design which is the first time I've heard this. Is the wheel bolt design the same on the two cars?
Interesting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I doubt a dealership knows much of anything, especially the production line at the plant!

Although, this is not definitive that they are producing the bZ4X / Solterra at the moment, but the plant did open back up for production on 9/7.... Although, i feel their focus right now is getting the CROWN out now while they stay quiet about the bZ44X / Solterra (since they are under the blanket of the Recall at the moment, so why not waste more time on something that became a thorn in their side... and get their Pride and Joy out to market ... The Crown).

Anyway, here is the September production for the plant: September Production Plan | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website
I was watching that plan like a hawk all through August :-D . Was quite glad when it didn't change.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts