Subaru Solterra Forum banner

Was the environment your main reason for buying a Solterra?

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Recently Polestar shared the results of a survey they conducted where they found that 55% of American drivers bought an EV "for reasons other than environmental benefits"

It got me thinking, did you buy or order a Solterra because of the environmental benefits of an EV? Or was there another reason you switched to an EV. If you voted no share your main reason for switching below.

• New survey reveals 55% US drivers purchase an electric car for reasons other than environmental benefits
  • Almost half of respondents are open to buying an electric car from a new brand, many more than with a gasoline powered vehicle
  • Generational differences affect rationale for electric car purchase

MAHWAH, N.J. (July 26, 2022) – Polestar, the Swedish premium electric performance car brand, has conducted research that has found that 55 percent of US drivers purchase electric cars for reasons other than environmental benefits. In-vehicle technology, seamless connectivity and infotainment system offerings have been named as the most important decisions for consumers switching to an electric car from an internal-combustion vehicle.

· Registered
231 Posts
I'm copying my response from the BZ sister forum:

While I thought of the environment for this process, I mainly am just sick and tired of the oil cartels (OPEC) and holding the world hostage to their demands. Seems once a decade (at least) that one or more members of the oil cartels goes rogue (Russia this year) and frankly, living with it since the 70's, I said enough if enough. We can produce enough clean energy (in time) and upgrade our power grid to handle charging and tell OPEC to eat their oil. Can then sell them corn for $300 a bushel. /rant

· Registered
49 Posts
cost/mile driven is my main factor. I felt it was close enough for me to bite the bullet and get on board. Thanks to federal and State tax rebates. EV marketers overblow environmental benefits. The amount of greenhouse gasses produced during EV manufacturing are significantly higher than an ICV.

· Registered
192 Posts
Time to trade the BRZ, now at 14,500 km, and with the Canadian incentives I think, depending on the actual price, I can get a Solterra for about 8 to 10 grand. I can sell my Sammy for 4 or 5 grand and apply that, for a 3 to 5 grand actual out of pocket expense.

Seems like a good idea, and with my low usage I can charge it from a 120v outlet. Fuel should go from $175 to $20 a month or so.

Sitting here about to turn on the air, we are not used to high temperatures here in BC, and only us trailer trash have air. ;)

· Registered
45 Posts
Environment was a factor, but its low on the list....Was tired of rising gas prices forcing me to get gas at Costco and wait in horrendous lines. Tired of maintenance like oil change and other fluid changes. Also tired of fixing / replacing, spark plugs, ignition coils, fluid leaks, etc.

· Registered
124 Posts
It got me thinking, did you buy or order a Solterra because of the environmental benefits of an EV? Or was there another reason you switched to an EV. If you voted no share your main reason for switching below.
If you are old enough or from the right part of the country you switched from coal home heat to another option. Admittedly the environmental movement only began around 1961 with the publication of "Silent Spring" but most people didn't do it for environmental concerns. They were just tired of the noise and the dirt.

But most people generally don't do anything strictly for environmental reasons. I heard that Emma Watson (age 32) and already a multi millionaire when she learned to drive, bought a Prius as her first car. She has since been seen in a Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet, an Audi A3, a Lexus RX and this Cadillac Escalade.

But if you live in California a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is roughly the same price as many Battery Electric Vehicles, and some of them come with a fuel credit for three years. With a 400 mile range they automatically address the number one concern that people have about BEVs. But a Mirai has only 182 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque. A Solterra has 215 horsepower and 249 pound-feet of torque. It's difficult to make a direct comparison because fuel cell vehicles are only good in California, but even so I think most buyers will choose the horsepower and relative luxury of a Solterra Limited over the base Mirai.
  • 2023 Solterra Limited MSRP $48,495
  • 2022 Toyota Mirai MSRP $49,500 (includes $15,000 fuel credit, 21 days of free car rentals, 0% financing)

· Registered
124 Posts
I would say your assumptions are wrong, and more reflective of the region where you live or grew up in.
Normally, I am smarter than to try and speculate on topics that cannot be proven either way. Even if you do a survey, people generally respond with the loftiest answer.

Personally, I believe that had the 2019 Tesla announcement been made with top speed of 106 mph, and 0-60 mph acceleration of 11 seconds (i.e. Prius specs) the worldwide reaction would have been drastically different.
Tesla said:
$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now The Tesla Team February 28, 2019
We are incredibly excited to announce that the standard Model 3, with 220 miles of range, a top speed of 130 mph and 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.6 seconds is now available at $35,000!
The 1997 RAV4 EV had a governed top speed of 85 mph, a tested 0-60 mph time of around 18 seconds (depending on state-of-charge on the batteries). Its EPA rated driving range was 95 miles.

Tesla wa s incorporate in July 2003. If people were solely concerned about the environment, Toyota could have sold a million RAV4 EVs in 1997. provided that they could have marketed the RAV4 EV for around the 1997 Camry MSRP of $24,000.

· Registered
600 Posts
Clearly people have different motivations. Some only care about 0-60. Others only care about charging speed. Some care only about the environment. And others care only about a better overall experience than old ICE age fossils.

· Registered
9 Posts
I think we'd have more customers stating they bought an EV out of environmental concerns, if EVs were explicitly marketed here (USA) as environmentally friendly products. But we aren't to that point yet.

The legacy car companies still depend on their ICE products to stay in business, and to fund EV development. They can't trumpet too loudly that the EVs are more efficient or environmentally friendlier than ICE. Besides, for several years yet, at least, they won't have enough EVs on hand to sell in really large numbers. So they have to keep pushing their ICE products one way or the other.

For Tesla, I believe their customers are attracted by the overall level of tech, where environmental friendliness is important, but not the primary attraction. IMO it was smart marketing for Tesla to enter at the top end of the market. They needed customers with high disposable income, and high performance, high style and image let them attract those customers, more than environmental friendliness would have, as the primary selling point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts