Subaru Solterra Forum banner

Was the environment your main reason for buying a Solterra?

• Yes

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 68.2%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Recently Polestar shared the results of a survey they conducted where they found that 55% of American drivers bought an EV "for reasons other than environmental benefits"

It got me thinking, did you buy or order a Solterra because of the environmental benefits of an EV? Or was there another reason you switched to an EV. If you voted no share your main reason for switching below.

• New survey reveals 55% US drivers purchase an electric car for reasons other than environmental benefits
  • Almost half of respondents are open to buying an electric car from a new brand, many more than with a gasoline powered vehicle
  • Generational differences affect rationale for electric car purchase

MAHWAH, N.J. (July 26, 2022) – Polestar, the Swedish premium electric performance car brand, has conducted research that has found that 55 percent of US drivers purchase electric cars for reasons other than environmental benefits. In-vehicle technology, seamless connectivity and infotainment system offerings have been named as the most important decisions for consumers switching to an electric car from an internal-combustion vehicle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm copying my response from the BZ sister forum:

While I thought of the environment for this process, I mainly am just sick and tired of the oil cartels (OPEC) and holding the world hostage to their demands. Seems once a decade (at least) that one or more members of the oil cartels goes rogue (Russia this year) and frankly, living with it since the 70's, I said enough if enough. We can produce enough clean energy (in time) and upgrade our power grid to handle charging and tell OPEC to eat their oil. Can then sell them corn for $300 a bushel. /rant

·
Registered
46 Posts
cost/mile driven is my main factor. I felt it was close enough for me to bite the bullet and get on board. Thanks to federal and State tax rebates. EV marketers overblow environmental benefits. The amount of greenhouse gasses produced during EV manufacturing are significantly higher than an ICV.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Time to trade the BRZ, now at 14,500 km, and with the Canadian incentives I think, depending on the actual price, I can get a Solterra for about 8 to 10 grand. I can sell my Sammy for 4 or 5 grand and apply that, for a 3 to 5 grand actual out of pocket expense.

Seems like a good idea, and with my low usage I can charge it from a 120v outlet. Fuel should go from $175 to $20 a month or so.

Sitting here about to turn on the air, we are not used to high temperatures here in BC, and only us trailer trash have air. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Environment was a factor, but its low on the list....Was tired of rising gas prices forcing me to get gas at Costco and wait in horrendous lines. Tired of maintenance like oil change and other fluid changes. Also tired of fixing / replacing, spark plugs, ignition coils, fluid leaks, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Environmental choice for me plus time to replace a 10 year old ICE plus EV are just where the future is headed.
Same for me. A few years ago I started hoping my next vehicle would be electric for environmental reasons. Now that it’s time to replace my ICE vehicle, I am excited for the performance/use of an EV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts