Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the VIN structure yet for the Solterra?

Or at least a sample VIN?

That's what most US insurance agents will need in order to estimate insurance policy pricing.

The little I have been able to find for the bZ4X (XEAM10/YEAM15 Series) started with JTMAx, where the x in position 5 was A for 2WD and B for AWD.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

While that has a valid check digit, I think that the ABABA part might mean that it's a prototype. It would be interesting to compare against other VINs for press/show use. We'll probably have to wait for the first US-spec deliveries of the bZ4X and shortly, the Solterra.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

2023 Toyota BZ4X VIN Decoder
1-3 JTM - Asia, Japan, Toyota Motor Corp, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle
4 A - 5 door wagon
5 A - Front 1XM motor
B - Front 1YM motor, Rear 1YM motor
6 A - Restraints: seat belts all, front airbag driver & psgr, curtain airbag 1 & 2 row, side airbag 1 row, knee airbag driver & psgr
7 A - 10 series 2WD
B - 15 series 4WD
8 A - bZ4X
9 check digit
10 P - 2023MY
11 A - Motomachi Plant
12-17 Serial Number

Note that only JTMAAAAA (FWD) and JTMABABA (AWD) are currently valid

This encompasses the VINs seen in various test drive videos from the past month.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This VIN structure is quite different than what Toyota had been doing. I liked that the RAV4 Prime encoded the trim level and a couple of other items. It just makes it easier when a dealer advertises a car with a VIN, you can make sure that the trim level agrees with their textual description. One can always look up a car by VIN to get a complete build sheet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This VIN structure is quite different than what Toyota had been doing. I liked that the RAV4 Prime encoded the trim level and a couple of other items. It just makes it easier when a dealer advertises a car with a VIN, you can make sure that the trim level agrees with their textual description. One can always look up a car by VIN to get a complete build sheet.
Some brand/dealership websites allow you to download the vehicle (Monroney) sticker, which in several cases I've found to be a useful check against sloppy data entry when new vehicles are added to dealer inventory online. You'd think simply entering the vehicle's VIN would be sufficient (on the dealership side), but most systems clearly don't work that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts