Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would think it will come a little over the XLE FWD. I think the XLE is a little better equipped than the Base (all bZ4Xes come with the panoramic moonroof and 12.3" multimedia). I'm gonna guess Base: $42,500; Limited: $47,000; Touring: $49,500. It looks like Subaru is including most of the extras (upgraded speakers, heated seats, etc.) that Toyota usually adds via their packages.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was hoping for $45,000 for Limited trim, when does Subie pricing get announced?
I'm hoping I'm off to the high side, too! I think all that anyone has to go on for pricing is the 4/1 email sent to reservation holders that pricing would be released "within the next few weeks". Now that Toyota has released their information, I would hope Subaru could release theirs any day now. For me, "next few weeks" would end next Friday, 4/22, but I think I've heard of someone being told 4/25. Hope it's sooner than that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I should have put a reservation for the Base model. With Toyota numbers, Solterra Ltd will be between $44 to $49. Yeah, $47 seems to be the spot for it. I was budgeting for a $45K vehicle. That should be close call for the Base Solterra.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think it matters at all which one you reserved. You should get to pick out exactly what you want when you meet with your Subaru retailer to place the order. From the reservation confirmation letter:

What’s Next
Once pricing is announced, expected between April-May 2022, you will receive an email to contact your preferred retailer to finalize your Subaru Solterra Retailer Reservation Opportunity. At that time, you will be able to discuss options and availability.
  • Your Subaru retailer will answer any questions you have, let you know which trim and colors are available, and make any other changes you may need
  • After finalizing your choices, your Subaru Solterra Retailer Reservation Opportunity will become an official factory order
  • Your retailer will give you the choice of applying your $250 deposit to your Solterra order or having it refunded
Even after you have finalized your Subaru Solterra Retailer Reservation Opportunity and ordered your vehicle, you will still be able to cancel your order by contacting your retailer

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think it matters at all which one you reserved. You should get to pick out exactly what you want when you meet with your Subaru retailer to place the order.
Yeah, that's if there are enough available trims to meet everyone's final wishes. But, I guess you are correct in that it may not matter what the initial reservation was. It will all depend on the availability in this tight market. Then I just hope there are enough Base models available for me to change the trim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, some brands and models sell for below MSRP. It's a rare thing but it does happen.
I purchased my Mini Cooper in December for $1500 off MSRP and they gave an additional $500 discount due to my employer. Someone canclled thier order and it was not 100% what I wanted. They also could not guarantee a delivery date as it had been delayed shipping from England. It was better then paying over retail and my daughter will be happy to take it when the Solterra arrives. It averages about 35mpg. It could be worse, but at least it has some style.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, that's if there are enough available trims to meet everyone's final wishes. But, I guess you are correct in that it may not matter what the initial reservation was. It will all depend on the availability in this tight market. Then I just hope there are enough Base models available for me to change the trim.
To be honest, if there pricing is where I think it might be, I may be looking elsewhere for my next vehicle. Actually, if the Premium were to offer a package where you could add the heated seats and steering wheel, I might go with that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually, some brands and models sell for below MSRP.
I purchased my Mini Cooper in December for $1500 off MSRP
I have never purchased a new car at or higher than MSRP. I purchased my current 21 Prius Prime last July for $7500 off MSRP and in addition, I got a $4500 tax credit a few months ago. Total $12,000 off MSRP ($35254).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased my Mini Cooper in December for $1500 off MSRP and they gave an additional $500 discount due to my employer. Someone canclled thier order and it was not 100% what I wanted. They also could not guarantee a delivery date as it had been delayed shipping from England. It was better then paying over retail and my daughter will be happy to take it when the Solterra arrives. It averages about 35mpg. It could be worse, but at least it has some style.
That abomination is not a Mini Cooper. I had a 68 Mini Cooper and it was amazing. My BRZ toasts the fake Mini Coopers anyway. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone else think 42K+ is too high for Subaru? What happened to their affordable AWD lineup? Base should be 37k with the Touring topping out at 45k. 26k for a Forester likely leaves me with 16k+ for gas money. The math just doesn’t add up for what Subaru/Toyota are offering. Middle of the road acceleration, slow charging, sub-par range, lack of frunk/glove box/rear wipers, piano black everywhere, odd styling. All around I’m finding myself in less and less impressed with the Solterra.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring, 2022 Kia Ev6
57 Posts
I have many questions about Toyota’s commitment to the bz4x.

After diving into the build your own bz4x option, it doesn’t help me understand their thought process. I question the rear dual spoiler setup and it’s function, which is a $200 option/upgrade on both the XLE and limited. If it had a performance purpose, wouldn’t it be standard? Also, all paint options other than black are an up charge ($425/$925). I know that’s not unique, but still odd.

I suggest giving it a look. Bz4x builder

Maybe this was purely a way to jump into the EV segment for Toyota while helping an asset in Subaru. I can only hope Subaru doesn’t skimp on the stuff that has been attractively advertised and makes it similar to other Subarus at too much of a premium.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does anyone else think 42K+ is too high for Subaru? What happened to their affordable AWD lineup? Base should be 37k with the Touring topping out at 45k. 26k for a Forester likely leaves me with 16k+ for gas money. The math just doesn’t add up for what Subaru/Toyota are offering. Middle of the road acceleration, slow charging, sub-par range, lack of frunk/glove box/rear wipers, piano black everywhere, odd styling. All around I’m finding myself in less and less impressed with the Solterra.
I love almost everything about this car. And after tax credits and rebates, it'll be well below the average price of a new car today ($47K). I'm just mainly concerned about DC Fast Charging being limited to 100 kW (what??!). And the front passenger seat should have power adjustments. Note that the top trim level Solterra has some serious stuff that the bZ4X doesn't have in any trim: memory driver's seat, rearview mirror camera display, paddle shifters to regulate Regen intensity, and fog lights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have many questions about Toyota’s commitment to the bz4x.

After diving into the build your own bz4x option, it doesn’t help me understand their thought process. I question the rear dual spoiler setup and it’s function, which is a $200 option/upgrade on both the XLE and limited. If it had a performance purpose, wouldn’t it be standard? Also, all paint options other than black are an up charge ($425/$925). I know that’s not unique, but still odd.

I suggest giving it a look. Bz4x builder

Maybe this was purely a way to jump into the EV segment for Toyota while helping an asset in Subaru. I can only hope Subaru doesn’t skimp on the stuff that has been attractively advertised and makes it similar to other Subarus at too much of a premium.
Could be that Toyota is charging more to recover more of the development costs than Subaru and is sort of subsidizing the Solterra.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definitely more than I thought it would be! I was pretty excited as the specs were coming out because I've been hoping for a low-cost, mainstream EV. And after having our Forester and now an Ascent, I'm definitely on Team Subaru! I thought the low-ish range, slow-ish DC charging, and slow-ish Level 2 charging were going to get it there. (Isn't the battery and charging system the most expensive part of an EV?!!) Now, it's just a car that I want that costs more money than I want to pay. $7,500 tax credit brings it down into more reasonable territory (and eats into your Forester gas money -- hopefully, you qualify for the credit!), but maybe still not a cost that I can justify. Can't get an EV without heated seats and steering wheel in Wisconsin, so Limited will be my starting point. And Subaru included quite a bit of stuff in there that might normally only be in a top trim.

Give me the Limited without the 20-inch wheels, power liftgate, StarTex upholstery, wireless charging, and 360 camera and we're probably at a price-point that I could get behind! Those seem like luxuries that we shouldn't be forced to pay for just to get an EV that can be driven in the cold. (Come on, it's a Subaru, I'm driving it in the snow!!!) I'd skip the rear spoilers, too, but I'm concerned that they are required to keep the rear window clear of snow and rain without a rear wiper. I understand manufacturers guiding (forcing?) buyers to higher trim levels (and profit margins) as they struggle with production, but they should have made the current Premium their Base and given the actual Premium some of the practical features from the Limited.

Hopefully, being built by Toyota, it will have very low maintenance costs. And, of course, great reliability.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts