Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
From: https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/CSI-PTYXT00.0D1U.PDF

Test 84 - Charge Depleting Highway for Solterra Limited/Touring

Net Vehicle DC energy consumption [DC Wh/mile]: 223.35

That's 4.4773 mi/kWh by my computation (on the dyno).

Charge Depleting Range (Actual miles): 293.24

This was on a 4WD test dyno with a "Road Speed Fan" to simulate drag,

What will real-world testing reveal?

This is a useful read ("Part 1066"): https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-40/chapter-I/subchapter-U/part-1066

I am still looking for the speed(s) for the charge depleting highway test. I understand the old test with varying highway speeds, but am still trying to locate the standards for charge depletion. The old highway test was a specified number of miles/minutes and speeds. Running to depletion is not time-limited, it's only charge-limited.

Anyone have any more detailed analysis?

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
266 Posts
It's the Edmunds test that I am waiting for. EPA can be misleading, some are better, some are worse (like Tesla).
The Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus is spec'd at 250 miles, but only 232 in the Edmunds test. That is not too far off from Solterra's initial 222 mile estimate.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think once you are up to speed, aerodynamics (drag coefficient) will matter more than weight differential. The ID.4 and Solterra seem similarly slippery. The 4mi/kWh that Alex noted for a short highway hop looks promising but I bet it will be pretty similar to other EVs in the bunch for efficiency.
422 lbs less weight will likely make a difference at any speed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1. Smaller pack allows Solterra Touring to be 422 lbs lighter than the AWD ID.4 Pro S. This makes it potentially more efficient. A larger battery down from full means you're hauling around more dead weight. There's a sweet spot for battery size, and the Solterra has probably hit it.

2. Solterra has the same drag coefficient (.28) as the Kia EV6 and VW ID.4, and better than the Hyundai Ioniq 5 (0.288). The RAV4 Prime is likely 0.35 or so, and the Solterra is lower, and therefore a smaller frontal area. So, the Solterra is likely more efficient than the RAV4 Prime. I still want to see the real world efficiency number, though.
1. Weight has little effect on range. Electric motors at 70mph are barely pushing 30-50 kW when keeping a constant speed. The heavier 2022 Model 3 RWD with LFP has 20 more miles of range than the older/nimbler Standard Range Plus.

2. Drag co efficient is meaningless without knowing the frontal area.

The ID.4 is one of the least efficient EVs to me at 3.0 mi/kWh on the highway. Not expecting Solterra to be any better. My Model Y gets 3.6-3.8mi/KWh on the same highways and my Mach-E was hitting 3.2 mi/kWh. Real world tests also confirm this. And the ID.4 has an induction front motor like the Y and not two permanent magnet ones like the MME and Solterra.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting. I guess in the end real-world range should fluctuate similar to the EVs mentioned above.
What Solterra spec did you order?
Im still waiting for a call to order one (Canada), im approx #8 on my dealer list. Honestly Im not sure I want one anymore, I'm #1 for a Blazer EV so I might be able to get one in a year

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did they call you back yet? Considering it's been well over a week I sure hope they reached out.
No news, honestly with the recall I expect maybe 1 or 2 Solterra per dealer per month? I think it will not happen before 2023

Anyway, I think I will cancel my reservation. The Ionic 5 is already way better in term of specs and new model is improved! Chevrolet will also release the Blazer EV and based on the Lyriq I have big expectations

·
Registered
202 Posts
… with the recall I expect maybe 1 or 2 Solterra per dealer per month? …
Chevrolet will also release the Blazer EV and based on the Lyriq I have big expectations
Given all the delivery projections were based primarily on anticipated supply constraints, it’s possible the recall period will result in a larger than anticipated cache of vehicles being delivered initially with an unfortunately disappointing slow rate to follow.

I’m certainly tuning in on the 18th to see and hopefully reserve a Blazer EV.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts