Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
Yet another reason to pass on this first year Solterra and wait until they get some customer feedback incorporated into the design. While this announcement is mostly about maximizing profit per unit, you just have to think they would be smart enough to accelerate adoption of their vehicles versus the competition by updating their design. Even if it’s just using the dash from the Prius to make it a little less obvious/obnoxious to look at all the time.

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like the company or not, one thing that Tesla has mastered is clearly defining the goals/objectives in manufacturing current production models and moving towards achieving those goals with a vengeance. The company absolutely knows how to manufacture EVs.

Toyota EV policy strikes me as management not by committee, but management by a bunch of committees. What’s the direction they want to go?

Darned if I can figure it out. That’s an awfully “top-heavy” inaction for a company that’s had such a good reputation for decisiveness in its decision making.

Who is in charge?

· Registered
95 Posts
I don't know...everyone has an opinion, so here is mine. Toyota likely took their well-proven hybrid technology and applied it to the BZ4X/Solterra. It appears that Toyota is saying that they are suffering profit erosion due to the business potential of this approach versus a redesigned EV-only approach (design-to-production) and would like to be more competitive with the likes of Tesla.

So I personally think in my situation (just want a good, reliable EV and don't really care about the latest technology and range), I'm good with the Solterra and the Toyota approach. Waiting a few more years for the 'new' Toyota/Subaru approach will mean I may be sacrificing 'proven' methods for something new. In that case, I may as well buy a Tesla now.

· Registered
177 Posts
I don't know...everyone has an opinion, so here is mine. Toyota likely took their well-proven hybrid technology and applied it to the BZ4X/Solterra. It appears that Toyota is saying that they are suffering profit erosion due to the business potential of this approach versus a redesigned EV-only approach (design-to-production) and would like to be more competitive with the likes of Tesla.

So I personally think in my situation (just want a good, reliable EV and don't really care about the latest technology and range), I'm good with the Solterra and the Toyota approach. Waiting a few more years for the 'new' Toyota/Subaru approach will mean I may be sacrificing 'proven' methods for something new. In that case, I may as well buy a Tesla now.
Toyota should stick to PHEVs. They make the best PHEVs IMO. They don't seem to have the battery supplies nor the advanced tech to compete in the EV space. BMW with the new externally excited motors (on my i4) and now moving to cylindrical cells will give Tesla a run for top in efficiency and power.

· Registered
516 Posts
But, what happens to the company twenty years down the road if Toyota does that?
They'll transition everything to hydrogen, if they can figure out how to globally replace/adapt infrastructure to support it. I think a better question is whether they push combustion engines or fuel cells with hydrogen. Toyoda has already stated multiple times that having the roar of the engine outweighs about everything else.

· Registered
177 Posts
But, what happens to the company twenty years down the road if Toyota does that?
Honestly don't see gas going away. PHEV semis and large trucks would make too much sense. In stop and go traffic they'd barely use much energy and EVs are not very efficient on the highway. EVs have a serious efficiency penalty in cold climates that's also a problem (yes ICE is less efficient in cold climates too but it also generates heat you can scavenge).

Right now... governments are crazed about EVs but gas/hydrogen makes a ton of sense for long road trips. Individuals traveling in cars is also crazy inefficient and polluting. Long term we might have AI driven EV taxis/buses that take us everywhere in 20 years. Who knows. I don't believe a single vehicle power source will rule in the future.

· Registered
177 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts