Subaru Solterra Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think I’m writing off the Solterra.
I have a November delivery, confirmed by dealer on Friday, which can’t happen if the factory is closed until September.
Still no word from SoA.
Someone on another thread indicated that this must be a compliance vehicle and Toyota is not really interested in bringing this to market.
To be just a compliance vehicle, they have to actually sell it.

But agree with you about looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
To be just a compliance vehicle, they have to actually sell it.

But agree with you about looking elsewhere.
I guess the dealer wasn’t joking when they told me not to be surprised if we don’t see any solterras until next year.

I’d still like to see and drive it before making a final decision. but from the other cars I’ve driven and the future ones coming, it’ll be tough to say yes to the Solterra. Seeing the pics of the crown makes me wonder if they were really trying with this vehicle or just using it for compliance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I guess the dealer wasn’t joking when they told me not to be surprised if we don’t see any solterras until next year.

I’d still like to see and drive it before making a final decision. but from the other cars I’ve driven and the future ones coming, it’ll be tough to say yes to the Solterra. Seeing the pics of the crown makes me wonder if they were really trying with this vehicle or just using it for compliance.
Compliance vehicles are nothing like the Solterra.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@PilotEV another interesting option. Might not be that much further out depending on how long the fix for the Solterra takes.

I have to say, the modular (i.e. serviceable) batteries are a pretty big selling point. If it has decent ground clearance it might be tempting. But the fact that they're putting 21" or 22" wheels on it (higher trims anyway) doesn't sound like they care about off road, unlike Blazers of old. Off road ability seems like the one big advantage the Solterra has over the rest.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have to say, the modular (i.e. serviceable) batteries are a pretty big selling point. If it has decent ground clearance it might be tempting. But the fact that they're putting 21" or 22" wheels on it (higher trims anyway) doesn't sound like they care about off road, unlike Blazers of old. Off road ability seems like the one big advantage the Solterra has over the rest.
there Is more to being an off road vehicle than ground clearance. i doubt most Subarus ever go off-road (gravel roads don't count). There are a few in the outback forum that do off-road, but they lifted their cars, added better suspension, skid plates and a whole bunch of other goodies.

·
Registered
469 Posts
there Is more to being an off road vehicle than ground clearance. i doubt most Subarus ever go off-road (gravel roads don't count). There are a few in the outback forum that do off-road, but they lifted their cars, added better suspension, skid plates and a whole bunch of other goodies.
The statement is still true that the Solterra's off-road ability is a clear advantage over any other EV in its class. The Solterra's specific AWD design/ tuning/ functionality (X-mode , variable hill descent, etc.) qualifies as more than just ground clearance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The off-road prowess also translates to superior ability in the snow, which is one of my main reasons for sticking with Subaru. I have done a huge amount of off-road driving in the military and civilian world (mostly Jeeps) and in the past decade (other than Subaru) been very disappointed in almost all the vehicles I’ve driven in poor conditions because they overwhelmingly prioritize MPG and only “engage” all wheel drive when the vehicle determines it is “necessary“ (Toyota is absolutely the worst offender in this regard). So now I’ve bought or leased over 12 Subarus and had all of them up in the mountains in deep snow and never been disappointed. I love the fact that Subaru released all the off-road and snow testing videos (even though they used winter tires) and let YouTube reviewers pound on Solterras in Arizona in the dirt — and not one lost a wheel.

It would be great if other manufacturers would take off-road ability more seriously. I’m currently waiting to see what kind of ground clearance the Blazer and Equinox EVs get and hoping their AWD versions perform even remotely as well as Subarus do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It would be great if other manufacturers would take off-road ability more seriously. I’m currently waiting to see what kind of ground clearance the Blazer and Equinox EVs get and hoping their AWD versions perform even remotely as well as Subarus do.
It's completely different with EV since you have a motor on each axle, I expect AWD to be a lot better on all EVs. You also have additional weight (evenly distributed) and lower center of gravity. In snow, a FWD EV handle way better than ICE equivalent. Oh they can also update that OTA

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's completely different with EV since you have a motor on each axle, I expect AWD to be a lot better on all EVs. You also have additional weight (evenly distributed) and lower center of gravity. In snow, a FWD EV handle way better than ICE equivalent. Oh they can also update that OTA
I wish I had a quote, but I recall reading at least 2 manufacturers talking about adding to the efficiency of their AWD EVs by ”disconnecting” the rear wheels from the motor assembly. That’s exactly what makes for poor performing AWD systems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wish I had a quote, but I recall reading at least 2 manufacturers talking about adding to the efficiency of their AWD EVs by ”disconnecting” the rear wheels from the motor assembly. That’s exactly what makes for poor performing AWD systems.
You are right, just found this: Hyundai Transys Developed EV's AWD Disconnector - Korean Car Blog

But still really easy for them to add a button like "lock awd". The power still come from a different motor, while in ICE car they just redistribute some power from the front to the rear with a center diff

·
Registered
533 Posts
The one downside most (non-small) EVs have is a super-long wheelbase (in part to maximize space for the battery pack). The benefit of large approach and departure angles is offset to some extent by the corresponding low break-over angles. Not so much an issue for driving in deep snow and on dirt roads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just saw Mach-E and Ioniq 5 up close. I really like Mach-E's "look". Not a big fan of Ioniq 5. At least just for the looks. But that doesn't matter. Neither is available at any of the local dealers. And even if it is available, would be marked up so much I can't afford it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What’s old has become new again… child labor in manufacturing…in the USA…

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just saw Mach-E and Ioniq 5 up close. I really like Mach-E's "look". Not a big fan of Ioniq 5. At least just for the looks. But that doesn't matter. Neither is available at any of the local dealers. And even if it is available, would be marked up so much I can't afford it.
I too was not a fan of the Ioniq 5... until I saw it at an auto show and was able to get up close/sit inside it. But the markup/availability issue remains, as you point out. Crazy times.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts