Subaru Solterra Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
how much does a bike weigh these days? Honest question, not into cycling so I have no clue, only motorcycling for me. So I already know the activity mount can't support my 450 lbs Ducati Diavel :ROFLMAO:
30ish lbs for an mtb, 40-55 for an e-mtb.

For some reason the UK Solterra can pull a 750 kg trailer, but the US one can't pull anything

·
Registered
378 Posts
Look out, VW just released a new ID 4 Pro 4Motion that will tow and is built for adventure they say. The big bonus is the range they are claiming 517 kilometers - 321 miles!
Even the bZ AWD is claiming 286 miles of range. What is up with Solterra or is next year's model going to catch up to these numbers. I am not cancelling my reservation, but I am not feeling the love right now
The bZ4X's 286 miles range is on the European WLTP cycle using the Panasonic battery. Solterra is rated exactly the same in Europe. The AWD ID.4 Pro is EPA rated at 251 miles range, and the AWD ID.4 Pro S is EPA rated at 245 miles range. Let's try to keep it Apples to apples.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Well, this post certainly took off and exceeded my expectations.

If anyone has had a chance to actually sit inside or drive a Solterra - I am looking for your feedback.

Specifically, I am trying to see how it "measures up" to an Outback. I'm also curious about the instrument cluster since it's a unique setup, and my local dealer doesn't think they'll have a demo unit available until late July or August - but they do have a few units left available for reservation, believe it or not.

My Outback XT is wonderful until I fill it up at the pump. At $5 per gallon, I am looking at around $3,500 to $4000 for fuel per year. With electricity, this would be about $700.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If anyone has had a chance to actually sit inside or drive a Solterra - I am looking for your feedback.

Specifically, I am trying to see how it "measures up" to an Outback. I'm also curious about the instrument cluster since it's a unique setup...
I sat in the Solterra (and the bZ4X) at the NYC Auto Show. I was specifically concerned to see how the steering wheel and instrument cluster worked together. Was the steering wheel going to block the view of the IC?

I had no trouble adjusting the seat and steering column to get a good view of both "the road ahead" and the instrument cluster. But I tend to like having the steering wheel set low and in some cars find I can't get it low enough, so this might be very personal.

As to spaciousness, it was hard to tell for sure. I didn't feel cramped, but the display car was a Limited with a black interior (so no panoramic roof, instead a black/dark grey headliner) so it seemed quite dark inside the car (partly because of the lighting at the Auto Show). There was plenty of leg room in the rear but, as others have noted, the seat-to-floor distance is less than in the Outback, so the rear seat won't be as comfortable for adult-size people as the rear seat in the Outback, but space itself isn't a problem.

I hope this helps. I'm hoping to test drive a Solterra next month, but the 2-week production line shutdown may push that to early August (the car I'll be test driving was scheduled to be built tomorrow, June 18).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I’m the one that posted the comparison in terms of numbers - but numbers aren’t actual experience. For example, Forester has more cargo capacity than Outback but it’s a “taller” cargo capacity whereas I’ve found the Outback to be more usable with depth.

Glad to hear that the instrument cluster isn’t as big of a deal as all the reviewers are making it sound. Still going to try to get to see one in person. This is a really hard decision because I genuinely like my Outback.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Glad to hear that the instrument cluster isn’t as big of a deal as all the reviewers are making it sound. Still going to try to get to see one in person. This is a really hard decision because I genuinely like my Outback.
That would be a tough decision. Luckily we're keeping our Outback (to tow camper, and mostly long trips), so that's not a decision we have to make. For us, the decision is, do we buy out our current leased car (2019 BMW i3S) or get the Solterra. It's mostly a no-brainer, but I still want/need to test drive it. I felt much better about placing an order after having seen/sat in one in person, but that's not a substitute for driving it.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts