Subaru Solterra Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
258 Posts
You are not helping. LOL. I've wasted so much energy debating with myself on that point. I'm #2 on the list here in PG so I think I can get one this year. And what you're saying sounds good, but... 1) driving existing ICE costs an extra $4K or so per year, 2) price by the time I could get one will probably be another 5-10K higher given inflation, and 3) if said additional choices aren't even announced yet... how many years until you could actually drive one? Doesn't sound like supply issues are ending any time soon.

It's a tough decision. But I'm leaning towards the Solterra this year even with all its compromises. Practically speaking, its biggest weakness (DCFC speed) is not an issue up here in the north since all the public chargers max at 50 kW anyway.

I'm betting the market will hold up so I won't lose too much if I trade "up" in a few years.
Yeah, and you guys guys still have a lot of free L3s up there (BC Hydro). #2 is great for you. I am #7 at my local Subaru dealer (Langley) and #5 at Toyota (also Langley). Hoping to get one before the end of the year. I sold my Kona EV a month ago, maybe a little early, but wanted to take advantage of the good used price ($5K more than I paid for it 3 years ago). I expect used prices to drop, once this backlog of chips and batteries starts to clear up, probably next year.

I am way down the list on my Ioniq 5 orders, and probably won't see that one until very late 2023 or 2024. But if I can get the Solterra, I can wait. I need at least one EV, to escape these crazy gas prices here in Vancouver. Also am on the list for a Silverado EV, #92 on that one.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
258 Posts
My understanding is that the AWD system on the Solterra is unlike any other Subaru AWD.... Two power sources, one for front and one for rear. That's my question. Clearance definitely.
I watched the Solterra and a few diff youtube reviews off-road, and looked pretty good to me. I also watched an ID4 try some off-road, and it was pitiful. So a lot goes into the algorithms, I guess. And oh, have seen other ones with Tesla before in snow, too, and it also was pitiful.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Genesis has delivered the first GV60 to a US retail customer.

Damn, that looks pretty nice.

And a power passenger seat...

Leather seating surfaces, like the Japanese market Solterra, although not in saddle tan.

And hopefully none of that gawd awful shiny black interior plastic. I keep wondering if there is some wrap that's durable enough to put over that shiny black interior plastic in the Solterra.

US$60,560 MSRP for the GV60 in Uyuni white vs US$54,110 for the Solterra Touring in two-tone white pearl.

And more powerful motors in the GV60 than the Solterra.

And a 248 mile range vs. 222.

Again, damn, that looks pretty nice.

As long as many dealers keep asking $10k ADM for the Solterra (and Toyota dealers for the bZ4X), and availability of the Solterra/bZ4X sucks, I am seriously thinking about putting a deposit down on the GV60 and seeing which one I get sooner.

Yeah, the Genesis is more expensive, MSRP-wise, but close enough for most people who have $60k to pop on an EV.

At least for people looking at the Solterra Touring, they ought to at least go look at the Genesis.

Me, I'll be looking to see where the nearest Genesis dealer is in the morning and carefully watching for deliveries and reviews.

I would appreciate links to some of the better reviews of the GV60, especially from a reviewer who has also driven the Solterra or AWD bZ4X and can compare and contrast.

Hmmm. GV60 with 350kW DCFC and 11kW L2 in at least some markets.

And they support V2L (vehicle to load), which is great with the crappy electrical grid these days, but I am still not giving up my Honda LP generator.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Genesis has delivered the first GV60 to a US retail customer.

Damn, that looks pretty nice.

And a power passenger seat...

Leather seating surfaces, like the Japanese market Solterra, although not in saddle tan.

And hopefully none of that gawd awful shiny black interior plastic. I keep wondering if there is some wrap that's durable enough to put over that shiny black interior plastic in the Solterra.

US$60,560 MSRP for the GV60 in Uyuni white vs US$54,110 for the Solterra Touring in two-tone white pearl.

And more powerful motors in the GV60 than the Solterra.

And a 248 mile range vs. 222.

Again, damn, that looks pretty nice.

As long as many dealers keep asking $10k ADM for the Solterra (and Toyota dealers for the bZ4X), and availability of the Solterra/bZ4X sucks, I am seriously thinking about putting a deposit down on the GV60 and seeing which one I get sooner.

Yeah, the Genesis is more expensive, MSRP-wise, but close enough for most people who have $60k to pop on an EV.

At least for people looking at the Solterra Touring, they ought to at least go look at the Genesis.

Me, I'll be looking to see where the nearest Genesis dealer is in the morning and carefully watching for deliveries and reviews.

I would appreciate links to some of the better reviews of the GV60, especially from a reviewer who has also driven the Solterra or AWD bZ4X and can compare and contrast.

Hmmm. GV60 with 350kW DCFC and 11kW L2 in at least some markets.

And they support V2L (vehicle to load), which is great with the crappy electrical grid these days, but I am still not giving up my Honda LP generator.
GV60 looks really compelling with only a $6k difference in MSRP. But, realistically I don't think you'll get it for less than an $11k difference, since
severe ($5k+) ADM will be the rule for it, whereas straight MSRP for the Solterra is typical.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With all the misgivings and still no Canadian pricing, I decided to put A deposit on a Tesla Model Y. Not fully pulling out of the Solterra, but things seem to be leaning that way I admit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With all the misgivings and still no Canadian pricing, I decided to put A deposit on a Tesla Model Y. Not fully pulling out of the Solterra, but things seem to be leaning that way I admit.
There will be a minimum $22k+ difference between the Model Y and the Solterra in Canada. Most likely closer to $28k including taxes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree there will be a large difference in price, but that MIGHT not be a big enough of a deterrent for me compared to the shortcomings of the Solterra. My plan was to lease the Solterra for 3 or 4 years. I would buy the Model Y and finance over 5 years. Payments would be considerably higher but in the end I will have equity in the Y and potentially enjoy my purchase more.

I go back and forth on it daily. If the Solterra comes out with improved real world numbers it may make the difference. One of the biggest downsides right now though is the inability to put a bike rack on it that will carry 4 bikes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There will be a minimum $22k+ difference between the Model Y and the Solterra in Canada. Most likely closer to $28k including taxes.
I agree there will be a large difference in price, but that MIGHT not be a big enough of a deterrent for me compared to the shortcomings of the Solterra. My plan was to lease the Solterra for 3 or 4 years. I would buy the Model Y and finance over 5 years. Payments would be considerably higher but in the end I will have equity in the Y and potentially enjoy my purchase more.

I go back and forth on it daily. If the Solterra comes out with improved real world numbers it may make the difference. One of the biggest downsides right now though is the inability to put a bike rack on it that will carry 4 bikes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Activity mount max weight restriction is 100lbs. My existing tray style bike rack probably weighs at least 50.
how much does a bike weigh these days? Honest question, not into cycling so I have no clue, only motorcycling for me. So I already know the activity mount can't support my 450 lbs Ducati Diavel :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
126 Posts
One of the biggest downsides right now though is the inability to put a bike rack on it that will carry 4 bikes.
I've carried four bikes on the roof of my Impreza using a Thule rack. You have to have bars that extend beyond the Subaru rails attached to the roof. And you have to mount the bikes forward/backward/forward/backward.

On bicycle races on YouTube, you can see chase cars with more than four bikes on their roofs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few data points I'll throw in. My state (MA) provides a $2500 tax credit IF (that's a big if) the selling price is under $50k. This negates a lot of cars including every single one I've looked at including Kia EV6 wind ($54k plus $5k ADMU), Mustang Mach e ($47,995 plus $5k ADMU) and Tesla Model 3 .. anything but a single motor, zero option, white model 3.

I do have an email question to my dealer (who knows me really well.....4 cars in the family over the last 4 years), asking in essence, what if any ADMU are you going to put on these. If I can indeed buy it for under $50k, I might do it. I did see one in person yesterday at Wicked Big Meet and talked extensively with the rep. Everything sounded good to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A few data points I'll throw in. My state (MA) provides a $2500 tax credit IF (that's a big if) the selling price is under $50k. This negates a lot of cars including every single one I've looked at including Kia EV6 wind ($54k plus $5k ADMU), Mustang Mach e ($47,995 plus $5k ADMU) and Tesla Model 3 .. anything but a single motor, zero option, white model 3.

I do have an email question to my dealer (who knows me really well.....4 cars in the family over the last 4 years), asking in essence, what if any ADMU are you going to put on these. If I can indeed buy it for under $50k, I might do it. I did see one in person yesterday at Wicked Big Meet and talked extensively with the rep. Everything sounded good to me.
We have the same thing in Oregon except it is a cash rebate, not a tax credit, on new EVs below $50k. You may want to triple check to make sure that any accessories purchased are not included in the sale price of the vehicle. You may want to pay separately. The Limited is so close to $50k and purchasing a cargo cover or floor mats will push you over $50k. I don't know if that's the case but make sure you're willing to bet $2500 on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look out, VW just released a new ID 4 Pro 4Motion that will tow and is built for adventure they say. The big bonus is the range they are claiming 517 kilometers - 321 miles!
Even the bZ AWD is claiming 286 miles of range. What is up with Solterra or is next year's model going to catch up to these numbers. I am not cancelling my reservation, but I am not feeling the love right now

81 - 100 of 108 Posts