Subaru Solterra Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can go vertical with cargo in the Solterra Touring trim and not lose visibility, since there's a digital rear-view mirror (rear camera view in rear-view mirror).
Has anyone here used a digital rear view mirror? Is it a regular mirror when the car is turned off? Sometimes, I like to lurk in a parked car and keep an eye on my backside.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I am really torn here between the Solterra and … waiting…

It seems many of us are in agreement that the charging speeds and battery limitations are somewhat glaring. While the cost of fuel is something to be aware of, I am confident that my Outback XT will be an excellent vehicle for the next 10 years while the EV technology matures and hopefully standardizes. That would be at the cost of $3000/year in fuel, plus maintenance.

Reactions: Mpls612

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am confident that my Outback XT will be an excellent vehicle for the next 10 years
Like you, I'm confident that my Outback will be able to 'rescue' me if a hurricane ever threatens to park itself over the North Texas area for a week, as one threatened a decade or so ago, given its large gas tank and 500 mile range.

There are a lot of Teslas appearing in my neck of the plains. I now play "count the Tesla game" when I go out, and often see between five and ten in just one mile. Imagine what would happen if all of those Teslas started heading out at the same time. The queue at the super chargers could be life threatening.

In the event of a hurricane, the Solterra will get left behind. (I can just imagine folks queuing at a public charger saying "drive faster! A Solterra is coming to create a bottleneck at the EVgo charger!")

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now the Genesis GV60 EV details have been released and the Cadillac Lyriq orders opened up (put my name just in case)... I think competition just got stronger and I won't commit to buying a Solterra until the day it arrives at my dealership and I test drove it.

The Genesis fixes the problems I found underwhelming in the Ioniq 5 and EV6 (I test drove all trims - 5 in total).

Granted both are $15K more than the Solterra and are "luxury" EVs so comparing them might be unfair.

I also have an Nissan Ariya Platinum+ reservation too but I after pinging my dealer I soon realized they were going to markup $5K to $10K and it is the same price as a GV60 EV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New member here, I've read a lot but obviously not everything on the forum so I apologize if it's been covered before.

2 Car family, Tesla and Subaru Outback. Tesla for most trips (much cheaper to drive and AP makes road trips easy) and Outback for bad weather, towing, hauling.

Preferred option 1: Replace Outback with Solterra - this makes the most sense, both are targeted for the same use case. Except.... there's NO TOWING! I find this to be the most stupid decision on their part.
Alternative option 2: Replace Tesla with Solterra - Not possible due to ok range but super bad charging rates. ABRP shows a road trip down the east coast in the Solterra has MORE charges and MORE charging time and cost MORE than even prior generation EV's (Kona). Charging time is 100% more than Tesla and Ioniq5/EV6, and 50% more than ID4, slightly longer than Kona EV. Running cost/mi (.14c/kwh daily + abrp for road tripping... is at the high end of its peers and much more expensive vs the Tesla)

Total cost is not a significant advantage vs its peers. There are dealerships out there that will not charge over MSRP.

Overall, I'm just really disappointed that Subaru did not rate this car for towing. This car does not compete with its peers and certainly not with smaller cars as a road tripper. It's strengths are 'go anywhere' car.... which is why I have an Outback. If it had 2700lb towing like the Outback, I would have turned my reservation into an order the first day I could...
As is, I think I'll pass on the Solterra. What am I missing? Is Subaru really targeting a 'go anywhere' crowd as long as it's not too far away (or have lots of time) and don't need to tow anything?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Alternative option 2: Replace Tesla with Solterra - Not possible due to ok range but super bad charging rates. ABRP shows a road trip down the east coast in the Solterra has MORE charges and MORE charging time and cost MORE than even prior generation EV's (Kona). Charging time is 100% more than Tesla and Ioniq5/EV6, and 50% more than ID4, slightly longer than Kona EV. Running cost/mi (.14c/kwh daily + abrp for road tripping... is at the high end of its peers and much more expensive vs the Tesla)
I think ABRP's consumption efficiency estimate of the bZ4X is hyper-conservative due to the dearth of real-world info so far. It is shown as (alpha) to let you know it's early and data still needs to be gathered. Alex on Autos said he saw an average of 4 mi/kWh over 40 minutes on the Interstate in the Solterra. Not saying it's that high, but I feel certain it's really higher than the 2.83 mi/kWh that ABRP is currently using. That makes a huge difference.

Also, usually tow packages mean stiff suspensions. I like a good, comfortable ride. And towing would diminish the range even more due to aerodynamics.

·
Registered
150 Posts
New member here, I've read a lot but obviously not everything on the forum so I apologize if it's been covered before.

2 Car family, Tesla and Subaru Outback. Tesla for most trips (much cheaper to drive and AP makes road trips easy) and Outback for bad weather, towing, hauling.

Preferred option 1: Replace Outback with Solterra - this makes the most sense, both are targeted for the same use case. Except.... there's NO TOWING! I find this to be the most stupid decision on their part.

Total cost is not a significant advantage vs its peers. There are dealerships out there that will not charge over MSRP.

Overall, I'm just really disappointed that Subaru did not rate this car for towing. This car does not compete with its peers and certainly not with smaller cars as a road tripper. It's strengths are 'go anywhere' car.... which is why I have an Outback. If it had 2700lb towing like the Outback, I would have turned my reservation into an order the first day I could...
As is, I think I'll pass on the Solterra. What am I missing? Is Subaru really targeting a 'go anywhere' crowd as long as it's not too far away (or have lots of time) and don't need to tow anything?
Welcome @RL51! If you're going to pass on the Solterra are you going to look into a Ioniq 5, EV6, or ID4?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome @RL51! If you're going to pass on the Solterra are you going to look into a Ioniq 5, EV6, or ID4?
Thanks!
I'm a huge fan of the Ioniq5 and EV6 but I'm very disappointed in the infotainment system (it shows you EV chargers from where you currently are... NOT where you're going/where you run out of charge). I'm very disappointed in the ID4's lane keep assist feature and I didn't like how it handled. I'm also disappointed in the Mach E's lane keep assist feature. Also, none of them have sufficient ground clearance.
IF Ioniq5 had an extra 1-2 inches of ground clearance, I'd buy it. 2k towing is sufficient for me.
For now.... I'm going to keep the outback. I'll replace it with the Cybertruck if nothing better comes out before.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Solterra is closer to a Forester style vehicle than an Outback. Forester is limited to 1500 lbs towing. Although the Solterra can't tow, it can carry 700 lbs on its roof, enough for a rooftop tent, two people and a dog. And it can have an activity mount for bicycles, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Solterra is closer to a Forester style vehicle than an Outback. Forester is limited to 1500 lbs towing. Although the Solterra can't tow, it can carry 700 lbs on its roof, enough for a rooftop tent, two people and a dog. And it can have an activity mount for bicycles, etc.
Thanks for that detail. I was aware of the 700lb roof limit. That's stationary limit right? Do you know what the driving limit is? My outback has a 650 stationary limit and 150lb driving limit (I think...).
It certainly doesn't have the versatility of a tow hitch... weight is severely limiting but also inconvenient due to the lift height. I use my outback to tow a small trailer for my 2 kayaks (75lbs each) and the occasional hardware store run. Roof top is great (I've moved furniture, hot water heaters, washing machines, kayaks, lumber, ladders on top of my sedan and outback) but it's not nearly as convenient as a tow hitch imo. In particular, for the kayaks, it's getting harder and harder to lift 75lbs 12' kayak up there. With the bikes, I actually prefer to drop the rear seats and throw the bike inside. Less chance of theft and is just faster. I guess, it'd just be great to have both hitch and roof.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
258 Posts
I'm glad they don't give a tow rating. Gives another reason for people to not buy a Solterra. Makes more available for those that want it for other reasons.

Myself, I want it for the off-road clearance. Don't care about charging or range, or tow rating. I also have an Ioniq 5 on order, which has fast charging, more range and can tow. So will have everything I need with the two cars.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for that detail. I was aware of the 700lb roof limit. That's stationary limit right? Do you know what the driving limit is?
Yes, 700 lbs is stationary. Per the owners manual for driving:

"The maximum load limit of the
cargo, roof luggage carrier kit
and carrying attachments must
not exceed 176 lb. (80 kg)."

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm glad they don't give a tow rating. Gives another reason for people to not buy a Solterra. Makes more available for those that want it for other reasons.

Myself, I want it for the off-road clearance. Don't care about charging or range, or tow rating. I also have an Ioniq 5 on order, which has fast charging, more range and can tow. So will have everything I need with the two cars.
That's great if you need two cars anyway. But you have to admit it would be better if you could get all that in one car.

If I get one (which I probably will, unless the price is insane) I'll probably add an aftermarket 2" hitch once available and wouldn't hesitate to tow a small trailer with it anyway. I think I read the European version was rated at 750 kg or something.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's great if you need two cars anyway. But you have to admit it would be better if you could get all that in one car.

If I get one (which I probably will, unless the price is insane) I'll probably add an aftermarket 2" hitch once available and wouldn't hesitate to tow a small trailer with it anyway. I think I read the European version was rated at 750 kg or something.
If you can wait a year or two (might have to anyway), there will be a lot more choices coming soon. Maybe even an upgraded Solterra.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I'm curious, is there something special about the Solterra vs the Ioniq 5 for off-roading... other than the clearance? Maybe the 360 camera (unavailable in Ioniq 5 except in top trim)? Is the wheel base too long on the Ioniq? When I look at the two.... I see the Ioniq 5 with a few extra inches of height as ideal. I am completely sold on X-Mode on an ICE vehicle. I trust my Outback riding on Hakka snow tires more than anything else in the bad weather. Is there something special about the X-Mode when you already have independent front/rear electric motors? I know nothing about off-roading... like I said, I'm curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you can wait a year or two (might have to anyway), there will be a lot more choices coming soon. Maybe even an upgraded Solterra.
You are not helping. LOL. I've wasted so much energy debating with myself on that point. I'm #2 on the list here in PG so I think I can get one this year. And what you're saying sounds good, but... 1) driving existing ICE costs an extra $4K or so per year, 2) price by the time I could get one will probably be another 5-10K higher given inflation, and 3) if said additional choices aren't even announced yet... how many years until you could actually drive one? Doesn't sound like supply issues are ending any time soon.

It's a tough decision. But I'm leaning towards the Solterra this year even with all its compromises. Practically speaking, its biggest weakness (DCFC speed) is not an issue up here in the north since all the public chargers max at 50 kW anyway.

I'm betting the market will hold up so I won't lose too much if I trade "up" in a few years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm curious, is there something special about the Solterra vs the Ioniq 5 for off-roading... other than the clearance? Maybe the 360 camera (unavailable in Ioniq 5 except in top trim)? Is the wheel base too long on the Ioniq? When I look at the two.... I see the Ioniq 5 with a few extra inches of height as ideal. I am completely sold on X-Mode on an ICE vehicle. I trust my Outback riding on Hakka snow tires more than anything else in the bad weather. Is there something special about the X-Mode when you already have independent front/rear electric motors? I know nothing about off-roading... like I said, I'm curious.
Clearance and a more proven AWD system, esp for off roading or in slippery conditions. If you have ever owned a Subaru, you should know that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clearance and a more proven AWD system, esp for off roading or in slippery conditions. If you have ever owned a Subaru, you should know that.
My understanding is that the AWD system on the Solterra is unlike any other Subaru AWD.... Two power sources, one for front and one for rear. That's my question. Clearance definitely.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts