Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recall, supply chain issues, rising interest rates, increased used/new inventory, holidays coming up, and the likely disqualification of the $7500 tax credit, the Solterra buyers have a lot more negotiation power with the dealers. I personally believe the buyers should not have any sympathy for any dealer since, almost without exception, they will try to squeeze every cent from us.

OK, I doubt what I write above will be controversial. So, what are your thought about our ability to get a price "lower" than MSRP? Any strategies you care to share?

I definitely understand that there is a strong possibility all the Solterras will still be immediately snatched up regardless of all the factors listed above. So please be helpful with your comments. Many of us still believe the Solterra is the right EV for us and this forum and post is intended to help us get the best feasible deal.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
I don't see much incentive for most dealerships to come down below MSRP. The supply of 2023s and 2024s is going to be really limited and most if not all dealerships still have waiting lists.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We're already seeing prices of used cars coming down in many markets, but I'd say that is mostly due to the increasing cost of financing (which is the whole goal of the fed's interest rate changes).

I doubt new car prices will budge for quite a while, but I'll bet some or most of the additional dealer markups go away, primarily as dealerships cut cost/employees.

The dealers are like all the other businesses that struggled during the pandemic and are trying to recover costs with increased prices. The guy I've been buying cars from for over 10 years (generally a car a year) has finally had to call it quits and move on to a different kind of business. After the locally-owned dealership was sold twice to larger and larger national owners that were better able to weather the sustained losses, the management of everything got so bad/numb that he just couldn't stand it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
273 Posts
Despite all those things that in the previous world would have provided good negotiation opportunities, I doubt that will be the case here with all the EVs finally coming into the market. The whole industry is also leaning toward the customer order model, both because of supply chain/manufacturing as well as for other factors. If anything, "MSRP" is likely going to be "the" price for many automobile purchases going forward, IMHO. (I don't like that, but...)

My long term prediction is that going into the future, most new vehicle purchases will become a rote process of build to order, choosing trim, options and accessories with local dealer delivery and service. Vehicles "on the lot" will largely be pre-owned and about the only place that good old fashion haggling will be possible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I told my salesperson whether there are room for negotiation. She said no.

Think about it this way: the waiting list - according to her - is 47. I am about 20. If I don't buy at MSRP, the chance that I could negotiate could only occur would be if everyone - every single person of the remaining 27 in the list - turns down MSRP. What is the chance for that happening in today's market? Probably next to zero.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Despite all those things that in the previous world would have provided good negotiation opportunities, I doubt that will be the case here with all the EVs finally coming into the market. The whole industry is also leaning toward the customer order model, both because of supply chain/manufacturing as well as for other factors. If anything, "MSRP" is likely going to be "the" price for many automobile purchases going forward, IMHO. (I don't like that, but...)

My long term prediction is that going into the future, most new vehicle purchases will become a rote process of build to order, choosing trim, options and accessories with local dealer delivery and service. Vehicles "on the lot" will largely be pre-owned and about the only place that good old fashion haggling will be possible.
Suits me. I buy a car once every 5 years or so. The dealer has all the advantages when it comes to negotiating anyway, because they donit all the time. Put a fair price, with a fair markup, on the sticker and let me buy it. And it will force them to actually compete on price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think my dealer will budge but they were always MSRP no addons... I will double check with CPA if contract is binding, if not I'm cancelling especially in this market.
hello I am new in forum and Solterra reservation holder. I did lots of research on this bindings order and what we did to lock our order Subaru is not considering that called binding order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IR Rule 30D:
Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022
If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above.

If you entered into a binding contract prior to 8/16/22, then you can take delivery past 12/31/22 and get the credit. If you did not enter into a binding contact prior to 8/16/22, you can still get credit if you purchase and take delivery by 12/31/22. Please consult with you accountant to ensure this is accurate. I consulted with mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IR Rule 30D:
Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022
If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above.
The operative word is "qualifying." The "rule above" that you refer to says: "If you are interested in claiming the tax credit available under section 30D (EV credit) for purchasing a new electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 (which is the date that the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 was enacted), a tax credit is generally available only for qualifying electric vehicles for which final assembly occurred in North America (final assembly requirement)."

·
Registered
121 Posts
All the car dealers in NA have had a disastrous time during the Covid pandemic. Mine has far less cars than they had when I bought my BRZ, and they need to make some money. The Solterras are so good they will sell just fine, and there will be few deals on them. I will get the best price my friend, the assistant sales manager, can give me and I will not argue about anything, except perhaps the value of my car, and that will be short.

I could pay cash, but I am prepared to take a small amount of financing, as my assets, precious metal, are gaining in value so fast now, that cashing them in would not be wise.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited; 2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC
231 Posts
All the car dealers in NA have had a disastrous time during the Covid pandemic. Mine has far less cars than they had when I bought my BRZ, and they need to make some money. The Solterras are so good they will sell just fine, and there
Not sure about Canada, but in the U.S., car dealers have been making record profits for a while now, after the downturn at the beginning of the pandemic.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Not sure about Canada, but in the U.S., car dealers have been making record profits for a while now, after the downturn at the beginning of the pandemic.
Exactly! Aside from not having many vehicles on the ground for customers to choose from, dealerships have more than made up for that obstacle by being able to sell all the cars they're getting for higher prices (discounts from MSRP are rare except for unpopular vehicles). And mfrs have been prioritizing high-profit vehicles in dealing with parts shortages.

·
Registered
484 Posts
For example:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts