Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if the "state of charge" can be displayed as a percentage on the display in front of the driver? In videos and photos, I've only seen the curved bar Indication and remaining miles, but no % state of charge. If it's on the big center display, it'd be nice if you didn't have to rifle through menus to get to it. Ideally, it'd be on the display in front of you.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My question was answered with the recent lifting of the embargo. The answer is no. I really hope they add the % state of charge to the instrument cluster beside the estimated remaining miles indication. It really would be useful.
I faulted the ID.4 for its minimal info in front of the driver, almost as bad as not having an "instrument panel" at all. I sure hope the Solterra/bZ4X don't go the same dumb-it-down route.... but not looking promising.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder if the "state of charge" can be displayed as a percentage on the display in front of the driver? In videos and photos, I've only seen the curved bar Indication and remaining miles, but no % state of charge. If it's on the big center display, it'd be nice if you didn't have to rifle through menus to get to it. Ideally, it'd be on the display in front of you.
If % state of charge isn't available on the Solterra display, you could use something like evwatchdog (currently on android only for kia/hyundai) with a ODB2 adapter. I'd be tempted to use something like this just so that I could gather additional data for later perusal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just wanted to post this here in case people think there's no indication of battery percentage, as I did (even though @StevenH did mention the curved bar). I understand people wanting an actual percentage, but I've always been fine with a similar fuel gauge in an ICE vehicle.

Vehicle Automotive design Speedometer Gauge Trip computer

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to post this here in case people think there's no indication of battery percentage, as I did (even though @StevenH did mention the curved bar). I understand people wanting an actual percentage, but I've always been fine with a similar fuel gauge in an ICE vehicle.

View attachment 821
I still want a % SOC indication to work better with A Better Route Planner. But, I think that app on Android Auto already shows you the % SOC. You could also get close by assuming 20 miles = 10%. As it stands, I'd still like it if they'd put tick marks on that bar every 10% of its length.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
I still want a % SOC indication to work better with A Better Route Planner. But, I think that app on Android Auto already shows you the % SOC. You could also get close by assuming 20 miles = 10%. As it stands, I'd still like it if they'd put tick marks on that bar every 10% of its length.
You are way overthinking this. My Kona had the same type of dash display, with no % SOC. Not necessary, as it is visually pretty obvious with those bars. What is most important is remaining range. No diff than an ICE car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are way overthinking this. My Kona had the same type of dash display, with no % SOC. Not necessary, as it is visually pretty obvious with those bars. What is most important is remaining range. No diff than an ICE car.
Understandable. But, it'd be convenient to see the % SOC, since route planners generally indicate the predicted % SOC at arrival to the charger, and the needed % SOC before you unplug to make it to the next desirable charger or destination. You can enter your preferred starting, charger arrival, and destination % SOC, and it lays out the recommended route/chargers, time for each leg, charging time, etc. It makes no sense that there's no % SOC indication on the instrument cluster. Thankfully, ABRP does it for you when using its navigation feature with Android Auto. Not sure if the car will transmit the battery info and real-time efficiency and SOC to ABRP without using an OBD dongle, though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Understandable. But, it'd be convenient to see the % SOC, since route planners generally indicate the predicted % SOC at arrival to the charger, and the needed % SOC before you unplug to make it to the next desirable charger or destination. You can enter your preferred starting, charger arrival, and destination % SOC, and it lays out the recommended route/chargers, time for each leg, charging time, etc. It makes no sense that there's no % SOC indication on the instrument cluster. Thankfully, ABRP does it for you when using its navigation feature with Android Auto. Not sure if the car will transmit the battery info and real-time efficiency and SOC to ABRP without using an OBD dongle, though.
As you drive the car will tell you where the nearest chargers are on your route, and how far, and how much range you have. At least my Kona did, and am sure that the Solterra will have that. I think that is standard on all new EVs. No need for using ABRP while driving. You do that before your trip. Actually, I preferred Plugshare for route planning, because of all the options and filters, plus status and user feedback for each charging station.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As you drive the car will tell you where the nearest chargers are on your route, and how far, and how much range you have. At least my Kona did, and am sure that the Solterra will have that. I think that is standard on all new EVs. No need for using ABRP while driving. You do that before your trip. Actually, I preferred Plugshare for route planning, because of all the options and filters, plus status and user feedback for each charging station.
Oh no. The ideal route needs to be determined from the start. I'd never want to head off in a direction and wait to search for a station when low on charge.

·
Registered
285 Posts
All I am saying is I have never needed ABRP. Between Plugshare planning and native onboard nav and routing while driving, more than met all my needs. Having said that I do use AA sometimes, but more for getting cop alerts so I don't get caught speeding. And I have some music that I play from Google Play Music (now You Tube Music), and others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts