Subaru Solterra Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tire size should be ok. Are you thinking about using the Ascent wheels as well? That may be an issue as the centre bore on all Subaru are smaller than Toyotas. Bolt pattern is the same and the offset is a little bit different. What are the wheels offset?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I posted on another wheel/tire thread, but thought it would be of interest here...(apologies for duplication but I thought a lot of folks would be looking for this info as I have been).

SOLUTION TO 20" WHEEL ISSUE (i.e. for those that want more rubber and less rim):
I hope this is helpful for people. I'm not an expert on this at all, but have done a bunch of research and spoken to a few dealers and tire shops. I was given some specs and wheel/tire options by a Toyota dealer's parts/service department for 18" options that fit the BZ4X, which they thought would be identical to the Solterra (note I'm in Canada) He said all the info I need to find wheel is:
  • 18 x7.5J (up to 8" ok)
  • Bolt: 5 x 114.3
  • Offset 40 (35-45 ok)
  • Hub: 60.1mm

Some options for 18" wheels (don't think you can go any smaller than that):
  • OEM: They can get the stock 18" BZ4 wheels but they are expensive - $655 CAD/wheel (plus tires, mounting, install...). Note Subaru told me they can't even get 18" OEMs right now, and their system is showing $1200/wheel!!!
  • After market: they said they have no concerns at all about an aftermarket wheel as long as we use a "perfect fit" or "replica". He suggested:
  • R25918001 "Replica 259". MSRP $470CAD; $380 at dealer; $244 from local tire shop (Big O). 800kg weight capacity, which he said is way more than enough. This one also has OEM lug fit.
  • R2681801 "Replica 268". MRSRP $440 CAD; $360 at dealer; $228 at local tire shop (Big O). 725kw weight capacity, still way more than enough. Also OEM lug fit.
  • There were a few other options (I won't list all here), but they either didn't have OEM lugs available, were out of stock, lower weight, or had some other reason he didn't think they were as good an option.

Tire Options (I was asking for All Terrain).
  • BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA. SKU 17722. ~$300CAD/tire. All weather. This was the one he thought was best. Quiet on road, low rolling resistance, good in snow, but not awesome on pavement.
  • Falcon Wild Peak AT Trail. SKU 28712816. $304 CAD/tire.

I am thinking of doing the Replica 259 with the BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA. I wish Subaru just gave us an option to get the 18" wheels stocked on the higher trims, but for now this is the best I can do. Hopefully Subaru will make 18" standard next year on all trims, and make the 20" an upgrade for people that don't intend to use it offroad (though in my opinion if you don't care about offroad, there are better EV options out there).

The above is the best info I have been able to get my hands on. If anyone sees any flaws in this please let me know. I'm a bit nervous going to aftermarket wheels, but not sure what other options I have (other than just putting up with 20" offroad, which seems silly for an "adventure" car).

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
I posted on another wheel/tire thread, but thought it would be of interest here...(apologies for duplication but I thought a lot of folks would be looking for this info as I have been).

SOLUTION TO 20" WHEEL ISSUE (i.e. for those that want more rubber and less rim):
I hope this is helpful for people. I'm not an expert on this at all, but have done a bunch of research and spoken to a few dealers and tire shops. I was given some specs and wheel/tire options by a Toyota dealer's parts/service department for 18" options that fit the BZ4X, which they thought would be identical to the Solterra (note I'm in Canada) He said all the info I need to find wheel is:
  • 18 x7.5J (up to 8" ok)
  • Offset 40 (35-45 ok)

• OEM: They can get the stock 18" BZ4 wheels but they are expensive - $655 CAD/wheel (plus tires, mounting, install...). Note Subaru told me they can't even get 18" OEMs right now, and their system is showing $1200/wheel!!!
  • After market: they said they have no concerns at all about an aftermarket wheel as long as we use a "perfect fit" or "replica". He suggested:
  • R25918001 "Replica 259". MSRP $470CAD; $380 at dealer; $244 from local tire shop (Big O). 800kg weight capacity, which he said is way more than enough. This one also has OEM lug fit.
  • R2681801 "Replica 268". MRSRP $440 CAD; $360 at dealer; $228 at local tire shop (Big O). 725kw weight capacity, still way more than enough. Also OEM lug fit.
  • There were a few other options (I won't list all here), but they either didn't have OEM lugs available, were out of stock, lower weight, or had some other reason he didn't think they were as good an option.

• BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA. SKU 17722. ~$300CAD/tire. All weather. This was the one he thought was best. Quiet on road, low rolling resistance, good in snow, but not awesome on pavement.

I am thinking of doing the Replica 259 with the BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA. I wish Subaru just gave us an option to get the 18" wheels stocked on the higher trims, but for now this is the best I can do. Hopefully Subaru will make 18" standard next year on all trims, and make the 20" an upgrade for people that don't intend to use it offroad (though in my opinion if you don't care about offroad, there are better EV options out there).

The above is the best info I have been able to get my hands on. If anyone sees any flaws in this please let me know. I'm a bit nervous going to aftermarket wheels, but not sure what other options I have (other than just putting up with 20" offroad, which seems silly for an "adventure" car).
Great information! Thank you for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts

• 18 x7.5J (up to 8" ok)
  • Offset 40 (35-45 ok)

For reference, are these the ones you discussed?

on 1010tires.com, the 259 is $229 per wheel and the 268 is $218.40
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

·
Registered
11 Posts
My own concern with the aftermarket is that they aren't going to fit the ball lug bolts that we have. Can you confirm these have ball seat? because they look like flat seat that Toyota used to use.

I might be going with the Gen2 NX rims. They use ball Lug Bolt. It probably isn't cheap, but I got quoted for $2900+tax for a full set (rim, TPMS, Tires) of Blizzak. or $1500 for just rims and TPMS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For reference, are these the ones you discussed?

on 1010tires.com, the 259 is $229 per wheel and the 268 is $218.40
View attachment 1289
View attachment 1291
Yes, I think those are the same ones. Note that the second option has the exact same offset as the oem and the first option is slightly different but the Toyota parts guy told me it was no problem and well within the acceptable range.

I might see if I can get the dealer to install the wheels to mitigate against any issue if there’s a problem later on they blame it on the wheels or whoever installed them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My own concern with the aftermarket is that they aren't going to fit the ball lug bolts that we have. Can you confirm these have ball seat? because they look like flat seat that Toyota used to use.

I might be going with the Gen2 NX rims. They use ball Lug Bolt. It probably isn't cheap, but I got quoted for $2900+tax for a full set (rim, TPMS, Tires) of Blizzak. or $1500 for just rims and TPMS.
Honestly I’m not sure. I find all these details a bit confusing, but the Toyota parts guy said he was sure they would work. I will probably just use the lugs that actually come with the car rather than the ones that come with the rims.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Do you have a part number for the Gen2 rims you are referring to? I wasn't able to find them online - sound like they are an option worth checking out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The DAI replica ones will likely not work. As the lug seat is flat, like every single Toyota model that is not a bz4x.
I doubt the parts person has any experience as there are not many bz4x that have been sold by them if any.
The more reputable source comes from Lexus dealers. The new NX uses the same lug bolt with ball seat. And dealers have used either the NX accessory wheels or the RWC ones posted above (wheels work for both Solterra and NX). both have ball seat for lug bolt. It was also explicitly stated by Lexus dealers that previous NX wheels that have lug nut and flat seat but same bolt pattern, CB, and similar offset do not work.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts

$1500 for a set of brand new Lexus wheels with TPMS sounds like a steel. Like to good to be true. A Lexus wheel is easily north of $700 Canadian per wheel. A OEM TPMS sensor ranges from $60-$100/sensor depending on the company. My Acura RDX ones were $70 if I recall from the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The DAI replica ones will likely not work. As the lug seat is flat, like every single Toyota model that is not a bz4x.
I doubt the parts person has any experience as there are not many bz4x that have been sold by them if any.
The more reputable source comes from Lexus dealers. The new NX uses the same lug bolt with ball seat. And dealers have used either the NX accessory wheels or the RWC ones posted above (wheels work for both Solterra and NX). both have ball seat for lug bolt. It was also explicitly stated by Lexus dealers that previous NX wheels that have lug nut and flat seat but same bolt pattern, CB, and similar offset do not work.
Thanks - that's good intel re the lug seat. I'll have to chat with them further about this to make sure. Do you have any part numbers or links to wheels you are referring to? I checked out some listings for NX wheels and I couldn't find any that had hub measurements that matched (they were 73.1 or 67.1 rather than 60.1). I'm tempted to pay more to have them all ordered from the dealer (more $)- that way it will be the same people as are doing the wheel fix and they'll be responsible.

Argg...it feels like it shouldn't be this hard .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look under accessories.
For CB, I use wheel-size.com its quite reliable. Most non truck mid size Toyota Lexus have used 60.1 for a while
The cheapest per Lexus forum is that someone has been quoted as low as 260 per wheel with invoice posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might see if I can get the dealer to install the wheels to mitigate against any issue if there’s a problem later on they blame it on the wheels or whoever installed them.
I tried, but my dealer is unwilling to put anything on the car that didn't come from Subaru Canada.

Thanks, this is the first time I have seen them. I was just going by data.
I am going to drop by a lexus dealer after to see if they can show me the rims and see if the ball seat is the same.

TPMS - Are solterra using Toyota/Lexus TPMS or Subaru TPMS?

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
I tried, but my dealer is unwilling to put anything on the car that didn't come from Subaru Canada.

Thanks, this is the first time I have seen them. I was just going by data.
I am going to drop by a lexus dealer after to see if they can show me the rims and see if the ball seat is the same.

TPMS - Are solterra using Toyota/Lexus TPMS or Subaru TPMS?
Most likely the Toyota/Lexus TPMS since Toyota is building it.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
Look under accessories.
For CB, I use wheel-size.com its quite reliable. Most non truck mid size Toyota Lexus have used 60.1 for a while
The cheapest per Lexus forum is that someone has been quoted as low as 260 per wheel with invoice posted.
I am shocked by these prices on Lexus Canada website. These are under the accessories section for the NX
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am shocked by these prices on Lexus Canada website. These are under the accessories section for the NX
View attachment 1292
Shocked bad or shocked good? It looks cheap to me, but then I realized this is likely total price to upgrade to these wheels if you are already buying the NX (would be a good deal if total price for the wheels). When I look online for NX wheels they all show as a different hub dimension than what Toyota told me to look for.

BUT, I just found the BZ4x listed on directautoimport.com (Solterra still doesn't show up). They actually have a range of hub dimensions. Unless the wheels for the BZ4X are different than solterra (seems unlikely), this gives me some confidence in the options. I was looking for one that had the 60.1 Hub dimension, and found this one, which looks like the same one I had recommended to me by Toyota. YWG_YYZ had indicated concern about the lug seat. Hopefully since this one is listed for the BZ4X it is actually compatible, but I would need to get that confirmed before ordering. Not sure if my Subaru dealer will install a non Subaru wheel. If not, perhaps having a Toyota dealer do the install is worth it considering since they should (hopefully) have a basic understanding of the "wheelgate" issue

UPDATE: I just spoke to Subaru dealer and they told me they just got notified by Subaru today that they will not have any 18 inch wheels available until next year. They do not want to make any changes at all, even a BZ4X OEM; they don’t even want to put a locking bolt on the Subaru wheels. One Toyota dealer told me they would swap the wheels and another one said they won’t touch it. I was trying to get some other information on the wheel specs but they said they have no idea this point. so now I am debating whether I will just live with 20 inch wheels until next year :-(

It seems very very likely that there are aftermarket wheels that will work just fine but if we ever run into a problem the dealer will not take responsibility.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Rim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shocked bad or shocked good? It looks cheap to me, but then I realized this is likely total price to upgrade to these wheels if you are already buying the NX (would be a good deal if total price for the wheels). When I look online for NX wheels they all show as a different hub dimension than what Toyota told me to look for.

BUT, I just found the BZ4x listed on directautoimport.com (Solterra still doesn't show up). They actually have a range of hub dimensions. Unless the wheels for the BZ4X are different than solterra (seems unlikely), this gives me some confidence in the options. I was looking for one that had the 60.1 Hub dimension, and found this one, which looks like the same one I had recommended to me by Toyota. YWG_YYZ had indicated concern about the lug seat. Hopefully since this one is listed for the BZ4X it is actually compatible, but I would need to get that confirmed before ordering. Not sure if my Subaru dealer will install a non Subaru wheel. If not, perhaps having a Toyota dealer do the install is worth it considering since they should (hopefully) have a basic understanding of the "wheelgate" issue

UPDATE: I just spoke to Subaru dealer and they told me they just got notified by Subaru today that they will not have any 18 inch wheels available until next year. They do not want to make any changes at all, even a BZ4X OEM; they don’t even want to put a locking bolt on the Subaru wheels. One Toyota dealer told me they would swap the wheels and another one said they won’t touch it. I was trying to get some other information on the wheel specs but they said they have no idea this point. so now I am debating whether I will just live with 20 inch wheels until next year :-(

It seems very very likely that there are aftermarket wheels that will work just fine but if we ever run into a problem the dealer will not take responsibility.

View attachment 1293
Alright, so with all this info taken into consideration, i guess I will be relegated to 20” winter tires. Sounds pricey. Ugh

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alright, so with all this info taken into consideration, i guess I will be relegated to 20” winter tires. Sounds pricey. Ugh
I’m not making any final decisions just yet. I just spoke to a tire and wheel shop that said they really don’t think it’ll be a problem at all to get a perfect fitting 18. Once I have a car I will take it into a shop here and have them look at the bolts and everything and see what they think and then I’ll make a decision. But looks like no chance of having Subaru dealer be any part of it.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts