Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
It seems that many of us will get their car somewhere in the 🥶 time.

With what kind of winter tire will you equip your Solterra. Some says you need tires specially designed for EVs. Is that true?

Is Subaru or Toyota gives any recommandations about this?

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts

With what kind of winter tire will you equip your Solterra. Some says you need tires specially designed for EVs. Is that true?

I would just get a winter tire you're happy with that meets the load/speed ratings. Ignore the 'winter tire specifically for EV' nonsense. Yes there are probably some that won't impact your range as much as others, but I personally wouldn't worry about that.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts

I would just get a winter tire you're happy with that meets the load/speed ratings. Ignore the 'winter tire specifically for EV' nonsense. Yes there are probably some that won't impact your range as much as others, but I personally wouldn't worry about that.
That said, there might not be that many choices available, at least initially. I'm not sure how many other vehicles share the wheel/tire sizes with the Solterra and bZ4X.
Not living in the heavy snow belt (or a jurisdiction that requires winter tires) I think I'll stick with the "all season" tires for the first winter. Having AWD will be a step up from my current RWD (with winter tires). I realize AWD doesn't help with braking...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I always just get a triple-mountain-peak set of all-season tires for my cars, which unless you have to deal with lots of ice are great for plowing through snow without having to get a separate set of tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah agreed. Ive got hakka 10 studded at present but will go a nonstudded nonEV nokian if I dont bail on the solterra. They make an EV version that they advertise as less rolling resistance and quieter without decreasing traction, but if they could do that without any tradeoff then they would just do that with the regular ones? Id take a slight range hit and increased noise over loss of traction in bad conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
273 Posts
Not living in the heavy snow belt (or a jurisdiction that requires winter tires) I think I'll stick with the "all season" tires for the first winter. Having AWD will be a step up from my current RWD (with winter tires).
Hopefully, one of the growing number of 'All Weather' tire models will have fitment available for Solterra/BX4x as they are better all-around tires than 'All Season" tires. They handle the cold a lot better due to improved materials and designs without going to a "true" winter tire and swapping seasonally. Of course, folks up there where the winter is really cold and snowy will absolutely be better served with dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hopefully, one of the growing number of 'All Weather' tire models will have fitment available for Solterra/BX4x as they are better all-around tires than 'All Season" tires. They handle the cold a lot better due to improved materials and designs without going to a "true" winter tire and swapping seasonally. Of course, folks up there where the winter is really cold and snowy will absolutely be better served with dedicated winter tires.
It may take a year or two for those tires to appear for the Solterra. On my existing Toyota, I have the Firestone for a little more than a year and it seems to work well. That car will be replaced by the Solterra, but both sets of tires that I had (summer "all-season" and winter tires) needed to be replaced between then and the arrival of the new car (whenever that maybe), so the Firestone serves the need nicely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had a brief search on winter tires for 235 50 20. They are almost twice as much as the 235 60 18, and the 20 have way less selection. Does anyone have any plans to get 18 wheels? If so where and how much to budget?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had a brief search on winter tires for 235 50 20. They are almost twice as much as the 235 60 18, and the 20 have way less selection. Does anyone have any plans to get 18 wheels? If so where and how much to budget?
I noticed the same thing. I'm currently hoping I can find some older model rims that are close enough and use the new lug bolts. I have a feeling extra 18" rims are not going to be available in time for this winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just an update after calling my local Subaru and Toyota dealers.
Subaru - currently they do not have OEM 18's wheels for the winter. They only sell 20 winter tires. As expected those cost almost 2x as much as the equivalent 18s with no advantage.
Toyota - Looked up the spec, it looks like the Solterra has the exact same diameter, width, offset, centre bore as the 2021+ Sienna (I just took delivery for one of those).
Issue is that Toyota does NOT make Steel or Alloy 18 for the Sienna. They only have reasonably priced 17s steel or winter.
I think I might just have to get a set of 17 wheels and tires for the Sienna and use the Sienna's 18 wheels for the Solterra.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
Just an update after calling my local Subaru and Toyota dealers.
Subaru - currently they do not have OEM 18's wheels for the winter. They only sell 20 winter tires. As expected those cost almost 2x as much as the equivalent 18s with no advantage.
Toyota - Looked up the spec, it looks like the Solterra has the exact same diameter, width, offset, centre bore as the 2021+ Sienna (I just took delivery for one of those).
Issue is that Toyota does NOT make Steel or Alloy 18 for the Sienna. They only have reasonably priced 17s steel or winter.
I think I might just have to get a set of 17 wheels and tires for the Sienna and use the Sienna's 18 wheels for the Solterra.
What if you try to order the actual OEM 18" wheel? like the one that comes on the base car? The parts counter should be able to get that for you unless they are restricting them right now to focus on production.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What if you try to order the actual OEM 18" wheel? like the one that comes on the base car? The parts counter should be able to get that for you unless they are restricting them right now to focus on production.
My understanding is that they are not currently available to order. If someone else find out the cost, please share.

My understanding of the wheel recall is that the original batch of wheels were produced with incorrect (which can just mean that greater tolerance/variability) bolt pattern, as thus need to be replaced as well. The new wheel bolts have washer and should be sufficient to hold the wheels if they are manufactured to the correct spec.

I'm not a wheel expert by any means, but I would be surprised if Toyota would send the cars for safety recall approval if it only works with their specific sets of wheels. I hope this is not the case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If there is anyone in the Vancouver Island or Vancouver area that is getting the base model and wants to switch their 18 inch for my 20 inch wheels from the luxury model please let me know. I need the smaller wheels for off-roading- this would be a good free upgrade for anyone interested in larger wheels.
my car is already at the dealer so I will have it shortly…

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will switch from my Ascent with 18" wheels to the Solterra with 20" wheels. My winter tires are still good for 2-3 seasons so I would like to use them on the Solterra. The tire comparison shows this. I would be confortable to swith regarding the overall diameter. However, the Ascent tires are 10mm wider. Do you see any problem to use them? Obviously, this larger tire will negatively impact the range.

Font Screenshot Circle Multimedia Software

21 - 40 of 59 Posts