Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
I just had a brief search on winter tires for 235 50 20. They are almost twice as much as the 235 60 18, and the 20 have way less selection. Does anyone have any plans to get 18 wheels? If so where and how much to budget?

· Registered
33 Posts
Just an update after calling my local Subaru and Toyota dealers.
Subaru - currently they do not have OEM 18's wheels for the winter. They only sell 20 winter tires. As expected those cost almost 2x as much as the equivalent 18s with no advantage.
Toyota - Looked up the spec, it looks like the Solterra has the exact same diameter, width, offset, centre bore as the 2021+ Sienna (I just took delivery for one of those).
Issue is that Toyota does NOT make Steel or Alloy 18 for the Sienna. They only have reasonably priced 17s steel or winter.
I think I might just have to get a set of 17 wheels and tires for the Sienna and use the Sienna's 18 wheels for the Solterra.

· Registered
33 Posts
What if you try to order the actual OEM 18" wheel? like the one that comes on the base car? The parts counter should be able to get that for you unless they are restricting them right now to focus on production.
My understanding is that they are not currently available to order. If someone else find out the cost, please share.

My understanding of the wheel recall is that the original batch of wheels were produced with incorrect (which can just mean that greater tolerance/variability) bolt pattern, as thus need to be replaced as well. The new wheel bolts have washer and should be sufficient to hold the wheels if they are manufactured to the correct spec.

I'm not a wheel expert by any means, but I would be surprised if Toyota would send the cars for safety recall approval if it only works with their specific sets of wheels. I hope this is not the case.

· Registered
33 Posts
Tire size should be ok. Are you thinking about using the Ascent wheels as well? That may be an issue as the centre bore on all Subaru are smaller than Toyotas. Bolt pattern is the same and the offset is a little bit different. What are the wheels offset?

· Registered
33 Posts
The DAI replica ones will likely not work. As the lug seat is flat, like every single Toyota model that is not a bz4x.
I doubt the parts person has any experience as there are not many bz4x that have been sold by them if any.
The more reputable source comes from Lexus dealers. The new NX uses the same lug bolt with ball seat. And dealers have used either the NX accessory wheels or the RWC ones posted above (wheels work for both Solterra and NX). both have ball seat for lug bolt. It was also explicitly stated by Lexus dealers that previous NX wheels that have lug nut and flat seat but same bolt pattern, CB, and similar offset do not work.

· Registered
33 Posts
Look under accessories.
For CB, I use wheel-size.com its quite reliable. Most non truck mid size Toyota Lexus have used 60.1 for a while
The cheapest per Lexus forum is that someone has been quoted as low as 260 per wheel with invoice posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts