Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah, there are times when my iPad Safari browser doesn’t render all elements of a page, and it end up having to use my MacBook laptop. But I didn’t call anyone a liar… that was someone else. lol
When a webpage doesn't render correctly across all platforms, that's a web programming deficiency, not a browser/device failure. But infuriating nevertheless.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sould someone be willing to email me the pdf of the Solterra Owners Manual? We own a 2020 Outback but I do not have access to STIS.
Not sure if this will link correctly, but you just use the Online Reference link instead of logging in. That gets you a page to search for any owners manuals and accessory instructions that can be downloaded.

Online Reference

·
Registered
118 Posts
You would charge to 100% at home before starting out on your trip. You generally would not charge over 80% thereafter on the trip unless seriously necessary, or unless you're charging overnight at a level 2 hotel destination charger, since charging high up in the pack has a very tapered charging speed.
Right that’s common practice in the EV world, but the manual doesn’t suggest to charge to 80%. I am wondering if the buffer has that built in. For example we know there is around 10 kWh unaccounted for with the gross versus usable battery.

This means that if you charged to 100%, there is still around 10-15% more ahead of that cutoff. Which could mean if you charge to 100, it is really the equivalent of 85% ish.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
57 Posts
page 221 ●Do not leave cigarette lighters in the vehicle. If a cigarette lighter is in a place such as the glove box or on the floor, it may be lit accidentally when luggage is loaded or the seat is adjusted, causing a fire. Now there is Glove box? I think much of this manual is copied.

·
Registered
133 Posts
page 221 ●Do not leave cigarette lighters in the vehicle. If a cigarette lighter is in a place such as the glove box or on the floor, it may be lit accidentally when luggage is loaded or the seat is adjusted, causing a fire. Now there is Glove box? I think much of this manual is copied.
Agreed… it sounds like this manual is a pre-production version that was created via a bunch of copy and paste work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I looked through the charging manual and I found it interesting that the charge schedule that you can set only has a start and stop TIME. It says nothing about a stop percentage which might imply it is ok to charge to 100% often. Thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I looked through the charging manual and I found it interesting that the charge schedule that you can set only has a start and stop TIME. It says nothing about a stop percentage which might imply it is ok to charge to 100% often. Thoughts?
There is another section within the charging settings to specify your desired maximum charge percentage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also strongly discourages parking in an enclosed space with the EV system running for the apparently copious dangerous carbon monoxide exhaust gases produced by said EV system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This implies that the Solterra can charge at 150kW, so presumably they have the hardware in the Solterra to do 150kW (max being 150kW). Maybe they are limiting it at launch via software.

Page 113, Charging:

The “DC charging power” screen will be displayed.
Press "up" or "down" of the meter control switches to select the charging power from “MAX”, “125kW”, “100kW”, “75kW”, “50kW” and then press .
*The maximum power when charging is limited to the selected power or less.
If “MAX” is selected, the vehicle will be charged with the maximum power that can be charged.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This implies that the Solterra can charge at 150kW, so presumably they have the hardware in the Solterra to do 150kW (max being 150kW). Maybe they are limiting it at launch via software.

Page 113, Charging:

The “DC charging power” screen will be displayed.
Press "up" or "down" of the meter control switches to select the charging power from “MAX”, “125kW”, “100kW”, “75kW”, “50kW” and then press .
*The maximum power when charging is limited to the selected power or less.
If “MAX” is selected, the vehicle will be charged with the maximum power that can be charged.
As others have suggested, I suspect a copy/paste job (by the manual writers, not the car software engineers).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Warranty and Maintenance guide now posted at https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/online_reference.
So much for the 90% retention rate that Toyota is consistently quoted as saying. Here is the actual battery warranty:

"The Battery and Electric Drive Units are covered for 8 years, or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with retention of 70% or more of the original battery capacity** over that period. This limited warranty covers repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship in the following battery electric vehicle components:
High voltage battery pack
AC/DC inverter
DC/DC converter
Transmission and electric motor assemblies"

·
Registered
133 Posts
So much for the 90% retention rate that Toyota is consistently quoted as saying. Here is the actual battery warranty:

"The Battery and Electric Drive Units are covered for 8 years, or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with retention of 70% or more of the original battery capacity** over that period. This limited warranty covers repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship in the following battery electric vehicle components:
High voltage battery pack
AC/DC inverter
DC/DC converter
Transmission and electric motor assemblies"
The 90%-after-100k-miles was stated by Toyota as their goal, but when push comes to shove, they apparently feel that drivers could overuse DCFC, run down to zero and DCFC to 100%, etc., and eventually enough of the customers would fall outside that goal. So, they’re playing it safe and sticking to what most EV warranties are covering instead of trying to raise the bar.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts