Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on Reddit. Looks like they’re testing a Solterra near HQ in NJ/Philadelphia area.

Big fan of the black to help tone down the cladding.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
30 Posts
The black also makes sense for a test vehicle as it tends to disappear in the mud of all the "shades of grey" vehicles on the road.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t mind the lack of a rear wiper. People seem to be outraged by this on Reddit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From a conventional thought process, yes, I can see why there is concern. But perhaps we'll learn more about the why and how once more details have been released. There are a lot of vehicles on the road that do not have rear wipers, although most have not been SUVs. Air flow over SUV designs have made the wipers more desirable, but perhaps the way Solterra handles air flow over the glass in some way compensates for a lack of a wiper, likely for aerodynamic efficiency. I'll look for this to be addressed by Subaru at some point, either with an explanation or by acknowledging folks concerns by putting a wiper on the vehicle when production starts.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
22 Posts
Well, it;s actually not my greatest concern either. It's the interior I don't like. The exterior is fine, cladding and everything. But will reserve final judgment when I see it in person.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the end, that is always what it comes down to...so we wait. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like the glass roof is only available on the high end Touring Model. I was hoping it would be sort of standard like the Forester with the panoramic sunroof on mid level and up. Maybe it will be an option on the mid tier Solterra??? What's interesting is that Toyota reivews of the mid level BZ4x were shown with the glass roof.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny, I’d rather not have any moonroof and keep the cabin quieter and slightly taller.

·
Administrator
90 Posts
I would have loved to of skipped the moonroof 'option' on my last two Subaru trim levels....

Reactions: 53

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is actually one of the reasons I chose the Onyx - I was pretty sure I wanted the XT, and the LXT and TXT have it by default. I would have loved the HK Audio system and a heated steering wheel, though.

Quieter on highway
Plenty of light already with large windows
Don’t need to clean drain lines
No chance of exploding sunroof (due to heat or dropping something on it)

I previously leased a Forester with the panoramic moonroof. It was gorgeous but I never opened it because it was really, really loud.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't mind the roof window, even though I very rarely open it. I do appreciate the extra light at some times of the year with the shade open. But I also wouldn't miss it if it were, um...missing...as long as that would not preclude all the other features I want and prefer. Since I pretty much always opt for top trim, it's a moot point and invariably, there's going to be glass "up there".

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Show me the rear wiper.
So, this is interesting. I was watching Ioniq 5 launch videos the last day or two, and one of the reviewers (Alex on Autos or Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring) specifically mentioned that the rear wiper was absent on the Ioniq 5 because it creates a significant amount of air turbulence (parasitic drag)... Combined with the large rear spoiler flares channeling the air over the rear window to help with the slipstream, I suppose it's a tradeoff they had to make.

Also one thing to note: Sportback style vehicles, like the angled Solterra rear end and Ioniq 5, don't tend to accumulate as much "grime" on the rear of the vehicle the way something more square (Outback, Forester, VW hatchbacks, etc.) do. It may very well be unnecessary. Personally? Aside from some morning dew, I don't really think of any times I've used my rear wipers. Even during snow events, your rear defroster will melt or cook off anything, and people will be "pre-conditioning" while they're connected to dockside power...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts