Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures show the Solterra to be lacking the two stereoscopic cameras from the top center of the windshield. I don't think it is really EyeSight as we know it. I think it is Toyota Safety Sense being mislabeled as EyeSight on the Solterra.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a little unclear which one the Solterra has because they do use "eyesight" in the press release but it's Toyota counterpart, the bZ4X does use Toyota Safety Sense. This is from an article on the bZ4X.

As a joint development with Subaru, the bZ4X has access to both Toyota and Subaru technologies. As such, the bZ4X’s will use Subaru’s X-Mode all-wheel drive system instead of a Toyota setup. Interestingly, the bZ4X’s suite of advanced driver-assistance systems will be Toyota’s Safety Sense (the new 2022 Toyota GR86 sports car, another vehicle Toyota jointly developed with Subaru, uses Subaru’s EyeSight system). According to Toyota, Safety Sense will be capable of adding or updating its features via over-the-air updates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like since there is a single camera it using Toyota Safety Sense. Subaru may be calling it EyeSight for marketing purposes with people already familiar with the brand.

There are references to "a camera on your windshield" at Toyota Safety Sense. That aligns with the single camera on the Solterra.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Owning a Subaru with Eyesight, i like the system, but in bad weather it does decide that it's not safe and it disables itself.
If the system on the Solterra is more capable in bad weather due to the use of the millimeter wave radar with the single camera, then I am OK with that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owning a Subaru with Eyesight, i like the system, but in bad weather it does decide that it's not safe and it disables itself.
If the system on the Solterra is more capable in bad weather due to the use of the millimeter wave radar with the single camera, then I am OK with that.
I understand this. Always be ready to turn the wipers to high or get the AC/heater blowing on the front windshield.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Perhaps there's another reason here, aside from the AWD development, that Toyota got out of its partnership with Subaru. I have been driving EyeSight-equipped Subarus for about 3 years now, and they're fantastic. I use it almost every single time I am in the vehicle. I hope that the collaborative effort for TSS 3.0 helps integrate the two. TSS has Radar also? That could only make the system better, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I (briefly) tried to find some info about TSS 3.0 and came up empty, but this is Toyota's overview of TSS 2.5/2.5+. Seems like the key addition to what Eyesight currently offers is emergency steering, although I've read that's coming in the next version of Eyesight. Also adds road sign recognition, but I've read some poor reviews of similar systems and am wary of that. Read that the current VW one doesn't do a great job of judging whether the sign is meant for your lane - someone had it active with auto cruise on a freeway, and the system picked up the exit speed limit sign and hit the brakes, even though they weren't exiting.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
22 Posts
I have a 2018 Crosstrek with Eyesight and a 2019 Kona EV with a single front camera system. I can tell you that in all respects the Subaru dual camera Eyesight system is far superior to the Hyundai single camera system. This is esp obvious when it comes to freeway stop and go traffic, where the Hyundai lags and then reacts hard with braking. I tried all the adjustment settings, but in the end I just don't trust it in heavy traffic. My Crosstrek, on the other hand, works great in all situations, and starts braking early when necessary, and can take off aggressively enough so people don't cut in front of you. Not so with the Hyundai.

I don't know how well this Toyota system works, but would have been happier to see Eyesight retained.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the input R P, that’s valuable insight. Do you happen to know if the Kona system also has a radar component? I would assume it has to, but if it doesn’t then maybe the TSS 3.0 will be better since it does have radar.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
22 Posts
Yes, the Hyundai systems also use radar. As I understand it, single camera systems need that. A dual camera system can calculate distances. What I like about EyeSight, too, is that the little dash above the HU show when it locks onto the car in front and how far ahead it is, so you know it is working. Hyundai gives no visual, and you are not sure if it is working until it starts braking. It is fine on steady flowing traffic, but not stop and go, esp if the car in front stops quickly. Like I said, I just don't trust it. Eyesight on the other hand does just what you would expect and never surprises or scares me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The newer Subarus (my 2021 OBXT) also have a green "LED" that shows it's active, and it reflects onto the windshield glass like a fake HUD. The center MFD also displays the vehicle in front when it's engaged.

I appreciate the lock-on as a wannabe fighter pilot. :sneaky:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, the Hyundai systems also use radar. As I understand it, single camera systems need that. A dual camera system can calculate distances. What I like about EyeSight, too, is that the little dash above the HU show when it locks onto the car in front and how far ahead it is, so you know it is working. Hyundai gives no visual, and you are not sure if it is working until it starts braking. It is fine on steady flowing traffic, but not stop and go, esp if the car in front stops quickly. Like I said, I just don't trust it. Eyesight on the other hand does just what you would expect and never surprises or scares me.
Thanks for the extra info, I'll cross my fingers that TSS 3.0 is better, but I won't hold my breath. Agree on Eyesight, had it for 18 months and it still pleasantly surprises me with how well it works.

The newer Subarus (my 2021 OBXT) also have a green "LED" that shows it's active, and it reflects onto the windshield glass like a fake HUD. The center MFD also displays the vehicle in front when it's engaged.

I appreciate the lock-on as a wannabe fighter pilot. :sneaky:
I love that light, my 20 Outback has it but my wife's 20 Forester doesn't and I always have to double check it's tracking the car in front of us when I drive hers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think it is really EyeSight as we know it. I think it is Toyota Safety Sense being mislabeled as EyeSight on the Solterra.
Thank. God. This means you get radar-based detection and not Suby's "it's raining too much for the safety system to work" stereoscopic cameras. Eyesight has been one of the most disappointing features on my 21 Legacy. Random braking due to sunbeams and shadows, continued braking when a lead vehicle departs the lane, and inconsistent follow cruise distance settings are "features" I could do without. It should tell you something when the only other car manufacturer going radar-free is Tesla. Incidently, I'm wondering if this is going to be Suby's "Eyesight" for all models going forward. Eyesight 2.0 should be arriving soon...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, that has not been my experience at all in 18 months of Eyesight! Had one incident where it cut out due to visibility issues, and even then it was just for a few seconds. I appreciate having the cameras as I can keep them clean while driving. Read lots of accounts and know lots of people whose radar-based system has cut out because of snow or dirt on the sensor, which is usually low on the front grill.
The lead car turning issue I attribute to the system not knowing if the road is turning and you’re still following them, but I agree it’s annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, that has not been my experience at all in 18 months of Eyesight!
Yeah, it's highly subjective and variable across environments and driving styles (possibly even hardware). The EyeSight in both my '20 Outback and '21 Legacy exhibit similar issues, but the Legacy seems tuned a bit better, especially with lane keep assist. I also wonder if it has something to do with the asphalt composition in my state, which reflects light more, especially in the rain. When it goes down, though, it goes down hard and for minutes at a time. I always assumed it was rebooting the subsystem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yikes, that sounds super frustrating! I’d definitely be wanting a change of system after those issues too.
Interestingly, it was during heavy rain when it failed on me, so I wonder if you’re on to something there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts