Subaru Solterra Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts

Another poor charging curve review. I don’t know anything about EV’s and charging (well, I’m learning) but it baffles me that the system hardware and software just doesn’t seem to allow anything close to the maximum stated and then falls off immediately and dramatically even at low states of charge. Granted, the 10-80% charging time does comport with the stated ~One hour, but it seems like if it could just hold close to the maximum for a good 20 minutes or so those times would measurably be reduced.
The car still does appeal to me for the 90%+ of our expected driving styles and maybe all this DC Fast Charging grumbling is much ado about nothing but if other manufacturers can get there surely the largest car manufacturer in the world has the resources and technology to equip their EV’s similarly.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Another poor charging curve review. I don’t know anything about EV’s and charging (well, I’m learning) but it baffles me that the system hardware and software just doesn’t seem to allow anything close to the maximum stated and then falls off immediately and dramatically even at low states of charge. Granted, the 10-80% charging time does comport with the stated ~One hour, but it seems like if it could just hold close to the maximum for a good 20 minutes or so those times would measurably be reduced.
The car still does appeal to me for the 90%+ of our expected driving styles and maybe all this DC Fast Charging grumbling is much ado about nothing but if other manufacturers can get there surely the largest car manufacturer in the world has the resources and technology to equip their EV’s similarly.
We discussed this video on this forum when it first came out. Still, it's a bZ4X, not a Solterra. Yeah, it's likely the same. But, I'm holding out hope the Solterra charges better. It will be news when the Solterra gets tested, so we won't have to prematurely draw charging conclusions based on its cousin/sibling/twin. I want to see actual real-world range and efficiency tests of the Solterra, too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Appreciate that. "Fiasco" wouldn't have been a good search term. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Not a stop sale issue. People can do the OTA update themselves to fix it. There are going to be software glitches. Nice to have OTA options. Not sure if any such glitch has ever occurred because charging was too fast. But, I could see battery degradation happening if people try to DCFC too often high up in the SOC. Shouldn't be a problem in the lower half.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Appreciate that. "Fiasco" wouldn't have been a good search term. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Not a stop sale issue. People can do the OTA update themselves to fix it. There are going to be software glitches. Nice to have OTA options. Not sure if any such glitch has ever occurred because charging was too fast. But, I could see battery degradation happening if people try to DCFC too often high up in the SOC. Shouldn't be a problem in the lower half.
Its a stop sale issue and there currently isn't a fix.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts