Subaru Solterra Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did two 1500+ mile road trips in the past few months In the outback. If I had to drive 70 mph + stop Every 90 minutes + slow time to recharge + time on/off freeway, I think I’d still be on the road. If they can get it to 3-4 hours between charges on the highway with a reasonable recharge time, it’s doable for me.

if I’m going to buy a car with crappy charging and range, might as well get the Volvo or polestar which are a heck of a lot more fun to drive. Will see when I actually drive the solterra how it compares.

no matter what, still looks like I’d be paying full-price for out dated tech on the most important aspect of the car unless they change things up before they start delivering. 🤷‍♂️
On long trips, I believe charger-hopping to stay in the speediest part of the charging curve gets you to your destination far quicker than extended legs for any given EV, since the tapering in the upper part of the SoC would keep you at the charger all day. Plus you'd need to make pee stops anyway. I need to stop every 2 hours, so 90 minutes between charges/rest stops would be perfect for both comfort and keeping the charging in the bottom 50-60% of the SoC where it's fastest.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On long trips, I believe charger-hopping to stay in the speediest part of the charging curve gets you to your destination far quicker than extended legs for any given EV, since the tapering in the upper part of the SoC would keep you at the charger all day. Plus you'd need to make pee stops anyway. I need to stop every 2 hours, so 90 minutes between charges/rest stops would be perfect for both comfort and keeping the charging in the bottom 50-60% of the SoC where it's fastest.
I know how, and anyone that road-trips with me knows, to limit fluid intake so you don’t have to stop to pee every 90 minutes. Road tripping 101.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I know how, and anyone that road-trips with me knows, to limit fluid intake so you don’t have to stop to pee every 90 minutes. Road tripping 101.
That's gas tank thinking. Charging high into the pack during fewer stops takes longer than more frequent faster charges in the sweet spot. And you don't have to dehydrate yourself. EV road tripping 101.⚡

·
Registered
77 Posts
but from what I’ve experienced in a few longer trips in a bolt and Tesla’s, staying in the 10-70% range is ideal (Plenty of debate on the numbers) But the less time at the chargers is almost always lost from the time to/from the charging station. So many say charge to 80 if it’s only going to take a few more minutes and then charge to 95-100 overnight to reduce trip time. Plus you want a vehicle that has decent range + good fast charging to reduce the frequency of stops and how long they take, Which is where the solterra falls extremely flat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Official press release from Subaru says 150 kW. I believe I heard on Insideevs podcast that the 10-80% 50 min is put out to downplay expectations. The fancy numbers put out buy Hyundai/Kia depend on optimal conditions and powerful enough stations. Also sometimes you start alone at a 150 or 250 kW double cable station so you get the full potential but then someone else pulls up and now the power output is cut by half.
Hmm, I didn't think of this point. I was thinking double cable charging stations should produce the same output when both are in use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or at least not for 600 mile/day trips.
Well, you can see what my trip pattern is on this thread: OOS Review - DCFC Charging BZ4X
It represents ~23% of the distance I drive my current car which is Prius Prime PHEV. The Solterra will be fine for anything shorter than 100 miles. But no good for over 200 miles trips I frequently do.
I'm going on long road trips in my Solterra, stopping every 1.5-2 hrs as necessary to pee and charge quicker in the sweet spot of the charging curve.
On long trips, I believe charger-hopping to stay in the speediest part of the charging curve gets you to your destination far quicker than extended legs for any given EV, since the tapering in the upper part of the SoC would keep you at the charger all day.
That's gas tank thinking. Charging high into the pack during fewer stops takes longer than more frequent faster charges in the sweet spot. And you don't have to dehydrate yourself. EV road tripping 101.
All of your comments are valid only if you live or travel in the region with a sufficient number of CCS charge stations. Unfortunately, currently, I can't even make it to the closest CCS charge station on Soltera's EV range. The situation is likely to improve but will take time. And in the wintertime, just about forget about trying to take Soltera or bZ4X on a long trip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well, you can see what my trip pattern is on this thread: OOS Review - DCFC Charging BZ4X
It represents ~23% of the distance I drive my current car which is Prius Prime PHEV. The Solterra will be fine for anything shorter than 100 miles. But no good for over 200 miles trips I frequently do.

All of your comments are valid only if you live or travel in the region with a sufficient number of CCS charge stations. Unfortunately, currently, I can't even make it to the closest CCS charge station on Soltera's EV range. The situation is likely to improve but will take time. And in the wintertime, just about forget about trying to take Soltera or bZ4X on a long trip.
Which region for you live in?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Northeast corner of the US.
Yeah, it looks pretty lean up there. I'm in southeast Virginia, and Acadia National Park is on my bucket list (some charging stations under construction near there). I'm prioritizing my trips on existing infrastructure that'll allow the charger-hopping strategy with the Solterra. As chargers pop up, destinations move up the bucket list.😃

·
Registered
436 Posts

My first EV had insufficient range to get me to my closest DCFC - until E-A built a whole bunch of stations including one 8 miles from my house (not that I use it... too close to home LOL). But I wouldn't now consider buying an EV with insufficient range to reach the closest non-local DCFC. In time there will be more stations, but since our local one was put in 3.5 years ago we've seen nothing. I'm hoping that changes "soon" but not counting on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
But I wouldn't now consider buying an EV with insufficient range to reach the closest non-local DCFC. In time there will be more stations, but since our local one was put in 3.5 years ago we've seen nothing. I'm hoping that changes "soon" but not counting on it.
Well, even though my order is in, I am still considering Leaf instead of Solterra, For me, a 150miles EV range of Leaf (base model) or 220miles of Soltera would both serve all of my needs in and around town commuting. I really wanted AWD and sufficient ground clearance for snowy days. That's why I am keeping my Prius Prime for my longer trips, and thinking to trade in our Pathfinder Hybrid for Soltera. It's just a shame that I can't take a bigger nicer SUV on a long trip. But besides the availability of CCS chargers, public change stations if not free, will be way more expensive than what I would spend on gas driving Prius Prime on engine alone (65-80mpg on the highway), yep even at today's high gas price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is the US owners manual that was released on Subarus own site. I am assuming the “max” rate is 150kw. However, I also believe that this information in the manual is subject to change right until the car gets delivered. Unless we get lucky and get a Panasonic battery pack like the FWD Toyotas are getting. I believe the euro spec and Japan spec models get the Panasonic for all trims there. The service bulletin that was sent to me from my dealer in Ontario last month indicated 100kw max rate. So who knows at this point.
View attachment 699
So I am starting to wonder if the Solterra will charge at 100kW or 150kW. Have we seen it anywhere from Subaru that officially says one or the other? I see a lot of charging times and some dealers that have posted 100kW but I too see the manual says what looks to be 150kW. Are we all assuming it is a bZ4X twin and will charge at 100kW? Has Subaru actually said one way or the other?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I am starting to wonder if the Solterra will charge at 100kW or 150kW. Have we seen it anywhere from Subaru that officially says one or the other? I see a lot of charging times and some dealers that have posted 100kW but I too see the manual says what looks to be 150kW. Are we all assuming it is a bZ4X twin and will charge at 100kW? Has Subaru actually said one way or the other?
I can't believe the Solterra is only going to charge at 100kW - what are they doing?! And yet, all the reviewers I've been watching are saying 100 kW. Yet, I haven't seen that directly from Subaru. I've been waiting for an electric Subaru for years, and the Solterra is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Wish it had over 300 miles of range (kinda important for day/overnight trips where I live in CO), but the 100kW fast charging speed is just a deal breaker. Who wants to drive into the mountains with friends, but then have to arrive an hour behind them because I had to stop to charge my car before heading off road to the camp site?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't believe the Solterra is only going to charge at 100kW - what are they doing?! And yet, all the reviewers I've been watching are saying 100 kW. Yet, I haven't seen that directly from Subaru. I've been waiting for an electric Subaru for years, and the Solterra is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Wish it had over 300 miles of range (kinda important for day/overnight trips where I live in CO), but the 100kW fast charging speed is just a deal breaker. Who wants to drive into the mountains with friends, but then have to arrive an hour behind them because I had to stop to charge my car before heading off road to the camp site?!
Alex on Autos, on his April 12th episode on the Bz4x, talks about how the Bz4x and the Solterra use different battery packs with different cell chemistry, made by different manufacturers, which he says is what accounts for the different fast charging times between the two cars. If true, seems the Solterra might indeed be limited to 100kW fast charging speed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Alex on Autos, on his April 12th episode on the Bz4x, talks about how the Bz4x and the Solterra use different battery packs with different cell chemistry, made by different manufacturers, which he says is what accounts for the different fast charging times between the two cars. If true, seems the Solterra might indeed be limited to 100kW fast charging speed.
Alex talked about the FWD version of the bZ4X having a different battery (Panasonic) that DC charges at 150 kW peak. The Solterra and AWD version of the bZ4X have the CATL battery that charges at 100 kW peak.

I should add that I haven't heard from Subaru which battery the Solterra is using. Just journalists and YouTubers. But, the language of "charges to 80% in less than an hour" implies the same slow charge (100 kW) as the AWD bZ4X. Holding out hope, though. It could be updatable to a higher charge limit. 🤞

·
Registered
436 Posts
If only it could charge at 100 kW! The 2 charging reviews I've seen so far report no more than 88 kW and 66 kW in actual experience, and then only for a short period of time (both would be an improvement on the 50 kW I'm getting now, but not by as much as I was hoping). More concerning is the steep drop to 1 kW once the rate begins to taper.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts