Subaru Solterra Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I pressed forward with my order despite knowing about Kyle's observation. I have to believe this is a software tuning error, and not by design. It's hard to believe it would make it all the way to delivery with this problem. It'd be a huge embarrassment. I'd like to see the test on a Solterra.
It sounds like 0-80% is actually not that bad. I think he said an hour and 6 mins. But 80-100 is awful. Hopefully a software update and some more real world charging data can help them resolve this

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
230 Posts
The more I see of the various specs, seems like the charging speeds are exactly identical to my Kona EV, which I just recently sold. This is for both L3 and L2. Makes sense as the batteries are also near identical in voltage and cells. The Kona has a lot more range, though. Looks like Toyota stuck with the old tech for their first BEV offering.

Was hoping for better, but that is not what is most important to me with this vehicle. I want it for the off-road capability.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If at least it was charging at 100kwh.
Listen to Kyle’s comment starting at 56:40. Very disappointing, to a point where I’m reconsidering.
If you don't want to watch the video:
  • Kyle saw a peak charge rate of 86kW only from a charge of 0% to 10%
  • Once the battery was charged to 80%, the peak charge rate was in the single digits
  • 62 minutes required to charge from 0% to 80%
  • After five hours and thirty minutes, the car was still not fully charged, at a DC fast charger

"charges incredibly, frustratingly slowly"

"if you do one or two road trips a year, you don't want this car"

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
230 Posts
  • Once the battery was charged to 80%, the peak charge rate was in the single digits
  • After five hours and thirty minutes, the car was still not fully charged, at a DC fast charger

I had a Kona EV for 3 years, and like all EVs, fast charging (L3) really slows after 80%. It is recommended to occasionally charge to 100% for the purpose of cell balancing. If you have not done it for a while, or doing it for the first time, it does take longer. My Kona used to pause a couple times (0kW charging) for several minutes at a time. Not sure exactly why, but presumably the BMS was doing its thing. Best way to charge to 100% is on an L2 charger, so you don't waste time at an L3 charging station (costly, too, as they usually charge by the minute).

Outside temperature (ideal is 75 - 80F) and a warm battery (after freeway driving for a while) really makes a difference. Conversely, winter charging is much slower.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Didn’t watch the video but I did this which I believe this is nuts and bolts review of the very disappointing charging curve. Damn, I hope there is some software and firmware tweaking and updating yet to happen.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Yeah, I saw this and it's devastating. Still holding out hope that Toyota/Subaru fixes this by delivery date. Maybe software tuning? Tapering algorithms? It's annoying that the European Solterra (which is only AWD) charges to 80% in 30 minutes, while we in the U.S. have to wait approximately 1 hour for the same state of charge. I'd like to hear something from Subaru about this situation, assuming the charging speed of the Solterra is the same as the bZ4X. To experience the national parks, we need to be able to drive there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Still holding out hope that Toyota/Subaru fixes this by delivery date. Maybe software tuning? Tapering algorithms?
Maybe Subaru could create some setting in the car's menu system, that when enabled by the owner, changes the charging curve to allow faster DC charging, but which also changes the battery warranty.

I'm surprised there isn't a governor to prevent you from driving over 75mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys! new to the forum

Just got this info about the charger from my Canadian dealer :
CCS1 combo-type charger (150KW DC)
So it's clear that the US model doesn't share the same system as the Canadian model.

·
Registered
345 Posts

So it's clear that the US model doesn't share the same system as the Canadian model.
What's clear is that the stated numbers are different. What's not clear is that the cars are different. The owner's manual is riddled with inconsistencies.

·
Registered
64 Posts

This is the US owners manual that was released on Subarus own site. I am assuming the “max” rate is 150kw. However, I also believe that this information in the manual is subject to change right until the car gets delivered. Unless we get lucky and get a Panasonic battery pack like the FWD Toyotas are getting. I believe the euro spec and Japan spec models get the Panasonic for all trims there. The service bulletin that was sent to me from my dealer in Ontario last month indicated 100kw max rate. So who knows at this point.
Font Material property Screenshot Document Parallel

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is the US owners manual that was released on Subarus own site. I am assuming the “max” rate is 150kw. However, I also believe that this information in the manual is subject to change right until the car gets delivered. Unless we get lucky and get a Panasonic battery pack like the FWD Toyotas are getting. I believe the euro spec and Japan spec models get the Panasonic for all trims there. The service bulletin that was sent to me from my dealer in Ontario last month indicated 100kw max rate. So who knows at this point.
View attachment 699
Just give me 90 minutes of driving at 70 mph on 20 minutes of charging from 10-60% SoC, and I'll be happy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I usually go 5 hours non stop. A 600 miles round trip in a single day. No BEV allow me to that type of trip. Yep, Solterra is for commuting only car for sure.:(
I did two 1500+ mile road trips in the past few months In the outback. If I had to drive 70 mph + stop Every 90 minutes + slow time to recharge + time on/off freeway, I think I’d still be on the road. If they can get it to 3-4 hours between charges on the highway with a reasonable recharge time, it’s doable for me.

if I’m going to buy a car with crappy charging and range, might as well get the Volvo or polestar which are a heck of a lot more fun to drive. Will see when I actually drive the solterra how it compares.

no matter what, still looks like I’d be paying full-price for out dated tech on the most important aspect of the car unless they change things up before they start delivering. 🤷‍♂️

81 - 100 of 120 Posts