Subaru Solterra Forum banner

Solterra and existing Subaru models

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  frankamartin 
#1 · (Edited)
There has been a lot of discussion about replacing the existing naturally aspirated Subaru engines (2.0 liter 152 hp and 2.5 liter 182 hp) in order to improve fuel economy. Tied in with that discussion is the addition of Toyota hybrid technology (regular or plug-in) to further increase mpg. Most rumours involve replacing the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated with a 1.5 liter turbocharged, and replacing the 2.5 liter naturally aspirated with the existing Levorg 1.8 liter turbocharged (possibly with an optional hybrid motor).

Consumer concerns are about upfront vehicle cost increasing, increased maintenance cost of a turbo, and possibly shorter length of usable life.

If we look at a table of EPA mpg calculations for automatic AWD vehicles we see that Subaru is one of the top performers right now in this class compared to smaller turbocharged engines from other manufacturers (see table).
Variants of Subaru's 2.4 liter engine in the sports cars (WRX and BRZ), the higher trims of the Legacy and Outback , plus the Ascent don't seem to have any issues, but very few of them have passed 100,000 miles.

The Solterra is not directly tied into this issue, but if it sells like gangbusters perhaps Subaru will get an improved CAFE and satisfy the ZEV states so that it might decide to stay with current naturally aspirated engines for the gasoline engines.

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, the issue is city/urban and short duration trips where the engine can't come up to temperature. Have to say, I would be happy with my Outback if it had a battery or something else for city/urban driving. I am willing to accept the ~30 mpg it will hold on highways, this is a wagon/SUV after all, filled with my stuff in the cargo hold. If they could find a way to make the cars get ~30+ in the city as well, that would be wonderful. You'll instantly "double" the practical economy across your fleet for urban driving.

There's also the Atkinson cycle trick to gain extra economy as well.

#3 · (Edited)
It looks like Subaru is going ahead with a 1.5 liter and 1.9 liter turbocharged engine, but it is unclear if they will come to the United States. As you can see, the fuel economy of Subaru entry level sedans has not improved much in 38 years, but the horsepower went up from 68 hp to 152 hp
  • 1984 Subaru Sedan with 1.6L, 4 cyl, Manual 4-spd | Highway MPG:33
  • 2022 Subaru Impreza 4-Door with 2.0L, 4 cyl, Manual 5-spd | Highway MPG:31
I am worried about a new 1.5 liter turbocharged engine screwing up this reliable vehicle. However, it looks like Subaru executives will press ahead even before the Solterra goes on sale.

#4 ·
I am worried about a new 1.5 liter turbocharged engine screwing up this reliable vehicle.
The industry in general is moving toward smaller displacement, turbocharged ICE engines as they compliment hybrid nicely while potentially keeping fuel consumption lower. There is already a lot of experience with turbocharging in the industry. I really don't feel there is a need to worry about it, honestly.

And it's a non-factor relative to Solterra.

#5 · (Edited)
  1. 2019 Subaru Ascent
  2. 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
  3. 2006 Subaru Tribeca
  4. 2005 Subaru Outback
  5. 2003 Subaru Baja
  6. 1998 Subaru Forester
These are the six official SUVs (by EPA definition) in Subaru's history listed by first model year. Which one would you like to see replaced with an EV or restored as an EV?

There is an argument to be made for each model. The Ascent gets some of the worst reviews in Subaru history. The Forester and Outback are sort of duplicates. The Crosstrek seems to be the unstoppable force right now and with EV torque it could be very exciting. The Baja is a sentimental favorite and Hyundai Santa Cruz and Ford Maverick are very hot right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.