Subaru Solterra Forum banner

If you were in my shoes - and following the discussion - would you still pick the Solterra?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting close to a year, the dealer has called to let us know our car is here.
But in the span of a week, they have made us question our commitment.
First the dealer wasn't able to process the Federal $5,000 rebate.
Then, when we go to pick up the vehicle, we are told - out of left field - that a personal cheque (or check if you are from the US) - is insufficient and we need to go to the bank to get it certified.
We have been dealing with wheels falling off the vehicle, now every time we try to pick up the car, something else happens.
My question is: Tough it out and just get the car - or tell them to stuff it and get the bZ4x (although months later).
Curious minds want to know...
Poll closes in 7 days.
Results not binding.
No, you can't take my place in the reservation line if I cancel (Don't deny it, I know you were considering that).

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your opinion.
Seems that Subaru's reputation is going to get a hit, one way or another.
I guess the Solterra is exposing the greed and stupidity of some dealers.
Gritting my teeth isn't how I usually like to do business, but it may well be what I have to do.

· Registered
177 Posts
Certified check is not unusual in Florida. I paid for a Tesla Model Y and MINI Cooper electric via certified check as both "dealers" (Tesla doesn't have dealerships per se) would not take personal checks.

As for the $5000 Fed rebate....I have no idea how that works but that's a big chunk of change to lose.

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Certified check is not unusual in Florida. I paid for a Tesla Model Y and MINI Cooper electric via certified check as both "dealers" (Tesla doesn't have dealerships per se) would not take personal checks.

As for the $5000 Fed rebate....I have no idea how that works but that's a big chunk of change to lose.
Unlike the US, in Canada the Federal government cuts the dealership a $5,000 cheque towards the selling price of a qualifying vehicle, not a tax credit for the consumer to apply for. Two provinces, Quebec and British Columbia sweeten the pot with further rebates - if you or the vehicle qualifies. Up to a further $7,000 in the former and $4,000 in the latter.
Yes, it is a big chunk of change to lose.
That's why I am still hanging on.
Under normal circumstances, I would have told them to pound sand.

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
480 Posts
In that past, when there was inventory and you could bargain with dealers, I didn't hesitate to go elsewhere. Esp when they would almost laugh in my face at a low ball offer I would make, and not counter. Fortunately for me, there were others that would negotiate and I always ended up with a good deal. But today, the dealer holds all the cards, and you just have to suck it up, put your emotions aside, and make a logical decision.

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited; 2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC
325 Posts
What would be the reason you would walk away from the deal? Just to not have to deal with this dealership any more? I'm assuming that in the end, you will get the $5,000 Federal rebate, right? In that case, I'd stick with it and just get the deal done.

They're still going to sell the car, so it's not like you can "stick it to them" by walking away. Unless you're switching to the FWD bZ4X with the better battery, I don't see any advantage that the bZ4X has over the Solterra (maybe if you get cold shins/knees, LOL).

· Registered
47 Posts
After waiting close to a year, the dealer has called to let us know our car is here.
But in the span of a week, they have made us question our commitment.
First the dealer wasn't able to process the Federal $5,000 rebate.
Then, when we go to pick up the vehicle, we are told - out of left field - that a personal cheque (or check if you are from the US) - is insufficient and we need to go to the bank to get it certified.
We have been dealing with wheels falling off the vehicle, now every time we try to pick up the car, something else happens.
My question is: Tough it out and just get the car - or tell them to stuff it and get the bZ4x (although months later).
Curious minds want to know...
Poll closes in 7 days.
Results not binding.
No, you can't take my place in the reservation line if I cancel (Don't deny it, I know you were considering that).
Being south of the Border, take my opinion with a grain of salt. When you said the dealer can't process the $5K rebate, does that mean you have no chance of getting it? If yes, then I vote run away. Far away. If you can still get the rebate regardless, then I'd tough it out.

As for the personal check-- I wouldn't let that issue affect your decision making. There's been so much check fraud lately (USA) that I'm surprised it even exists as a form of payment. It's not meant to be a slight against you. It's just that anyone selling something has to take precautions...too many people have been burned.

So about me taking your reservation...:sneaky:

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Being south of the Border, take my opinion with a grain of salt. When you said the dealer can't process the $5K rebate, does that mean you have no chance of getting it? If yes, then I vote run away. Far away. If you can still get the rebate regardless, then I'd tough it out.
The rebate aka cash on the hood got sorted out before this latest incident.

· Registered
297 Posts
The Solterra is generally finished a bit nicer, and depending upon trim, also includes Advanced Park and what seems like a larger suite of advanced driver assistance features. I would stick with the Solterra, even though the dealer is being a jerk.

· Registered
17 Posts
You've waited this long what is a few more days going to mean? Besides, you will still be getting it 6 - 8 months ahead of me!!

I would, however, suggest to the dealer that he needs to made some form of compensation for the amount of your time he has wasted. Maybe you only get a hundred bucks but at least it will be acknowledgement he screwed up.

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You've waited this long what is a few more days going to mean? Besides, you will still be getting it 6 - 8 months ahead of me!!

I would, however, suggest to the dealer that he needs to made some form of compensation for the amount of your time he has wasted. Maybe you only get a hundred bucks but at least it will be acknowledgement he screwed up.
Good points.
The dealer principal called today to apologize and offer my wife and I two night's accommodation at a swanky resort as compensation.

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Wow, didn't realize that.
That makes good business sense.
But the check usually clears the night the sale is made. Unless the dealership decides to sit on the check for some reason, for example (has happened to me a few times).

The reason for this practice (holding onto the registration paperwork) is that the dealership has to cut checks to the state for sales tax and registration, so they're not going to do that if the buyer's check hasn't cleared.

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But the check usually clears the night the sale is made. Unless the dealership decides to sit on the check for some reason, for example (has happened to me a few times).

The reason for this practice (holding onto the registration paperwork) is that the dealership has to cut checks to the state for sales tax and registration, so they're not going to do that if the buyer's check hasn't cleared.
Good to know.
But how do you insure the new car?
In Canada, no registration = no insurance or plates.
Even if you did not get plates - you still need the transfer from dealer to new owner - to facilitate insurance.

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
You get a copy of the required paperwork, which proves you're entitled to be driving the car, but you won't have a title for weeks (or the financing company won't have the title...). Maybe also new or temporary plates, or the plates from your trade in vehicle (varies from state to state).

Here you can't register a new vehicle without insurance, not the other way around.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts