Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, given that we might be getting cars soon(ish), I have a question on charging. I was planning on buying a WiFi smart charger. I am on a time of use electricity plan, off peak is only from midnight to 8am.
Can the Solterra be setup to only charger during this period (I'm sure there will also be times it would need to be overridden)?
I also recall there was something earlier this year on home charger discounts / installations. If I don't need a smart charger for scheduling I might be able to use that incentive.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
So, given that we might be getting cars soon(ish), I have a question on charging. I was planning on buying a WiFi smart charger. I am on a time of use electricity plan, off peak is only from midnight to 8am.
Can the Solterra be setup to only charger during this period (I'm sure there will also be times it would need to be overridden)?
I also recall there was something earlier this year on home charger discounts / installations. If I don't need a smart charger for scheduling I might be able to use that incentive.
Yes you can program the schedule right in the car (and on the app I believe). So no real need for the EVSE to be smart/connected.
If you look in the manual, you can also quickly bypass the schedule if you need to charge during other times, like at a fast charger on a road trip or something.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Depending on where you are, you might be able to get a rebate from your utility provider for getting a WiFi-connected model and allowing the utility to "throttle back" your car's usage un periods of high demand. That's the case in Connecticut. You can also get annual payments for staying In the program.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Depending on where you are, you might be able to get a rebate from your utility provider for getting a WiFi-connected model and allowing the utility to "throttle back" your car's usage un periods of high demand. That's the case in Connecticut. You can also get annual payments for staying In the program.
My utility has an off-peak EV rate, BUT.... to get it you have to pay to install a second meter, and then pay the flat monthly charge ($13.65) on that second meter.... so unless you drive A WHOLE LOT (and mostly charge at home), there's no way to save money. I wish they'd do something like incentivizing WiFi-connected EVSEs but they can't even get their billing system to work correctly so it's going to be a while...

·
Registered
126 Posts
My utility has an off-peak EV rate, BUT.... to get it you have to pay to install a second meter, and then pay the flat monthly charge ($13.65) on that second meter.... so unless you drive A WHOLE LOT (and mostly charge at home), there's no way to save money. I wish they'd do something like incentivizing WiFi-connected EVSEs but they can't even get their billing system to work correctly so it's going to be a while...
Sounds like California to me...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, I live in Westchester NY and have Con Edison. Just checked their website for kicks. So they have a program 'Smart Charge NY' - looking at the email it seems based out of Canada. It ties into the cars telematics and they offer incentives based on usage. Not surprisingly it doesn't support the Solterra (ot Toyota) yet.
The program pays monthly rewards for not charging during super peak and 10c per kw/hr discount charging during off-peak. Not sure what happens if you charge at a public charger in the territory during that time (maybe they only care about your home location).... The estimator shows a payment of about $500 a year, for driving 120 miles weekly.
Unfortunately they are ceasing the program 1/1/23 for those in the time of use plan; which I am due to solar panels. Instead I get a $4 monthly credit. At some point I'll probably crunch the numbers to see if it makes sense to come off the time of use program but I doubt it will.
My utility has an off-peak EV rate, BUT.... to get it you have to pay to install a second meter, and then pay the flat monthly charge ($13.65) on that second meter.... so unless you drive A WHOLE LOT (and mostly charge at home), there's no way to save money.
ConEdison has that option too, although it's $17/month. That said, the off-peak rate is 2¢ vs 13¢ for the 'delivery'. Supply is so much more complicated to get numbers for, however they estimate $850 vs $2000, so even paying the monthly charge it still comes out ahead. (Without the cost of installing the second meter considered)

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
ConEdison has that option too, although it's $17/month. That said, the off-peak rate is 2¢ vs 13¢ for the 'delivery'. Supply is so much more complicated to get numbers for, however they estimate $850 vs $2000, so even paying the monthly charge it still comes out ahead. (Without the cost of installing the second meter considered)
The last time I had to pay for a meter installation it was $350, including the solar installation/connection inspection (mid-2018). But I'm spending less than the monthly meter charge to "refuel" my car (about $13/month), so regardless it makes no sense for me to switch. Recharging the Solterra will cost more (lower MPGe than the i3), but still not enough to pay off the 2nd meter within my lifetime.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The last time I had to pay for a meter installation it was $350, including the solar installation/connection inspection (mid-2018). But I'm spending less than the monthly meter charge to "refuel" my car (about $13/month), so regardless it makes no sense for me to switch. Recharging the Solterra will cost more (lower MPGe than the i3), but still not enough to pay off the 2nd meter within my lifetime.
We also have a municipal utility from a village of under 4000. Moved into a new high-performance house we built with solar in 2018. Paid no extra for bi-directional meter. We buy each kw at $.02 more / kw than we are paid for what we sell to the utility. The house is Net Zero. That seems a fair difference given that the grid needs to be maintained. We will also pay $100-200 more per year for Solterra (BEV) registration to offset not paying sales tax on gas to maintain roads. Also seems fair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I look at the manual, it looks like you can schedule when it charges.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm in Sacramento, CA and my utility company charges a lower rate between midnight and 6am. On top of that, they provided a $500 rebate on the purchase of qualified EVSEs. And another $500 if you get it professionally installed.
That's similar to CT's package. It's funny that CA seems to be making it easy to own an EV. When I installed my solar panels, i heard from fellow customers that the utilities were doing everything they could to hinder the process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts