Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it discussed that there is cloud-based navigation. But I haven't seen it automatically routing through charging stations, telling you how long to charge, etc. Does the Solterra do this?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Solterra has a charging station locator integrated app. But, I'm wondering if you can enter a destination into the route planner and have it automatically route you through the charging stations? Seems silly for any EV not to do this. If not, I'm wondering if you could just use apps like A Better Route Planner or PlugShare via Apple Car Play or Android Auto to display in the large screen, and have the instrument cluster sync up with it via the CARDS standard to show turn by turn instructions?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm seeing that A Better Route Planner (ABRP) works through Android Auto (and maybe Apple Car Play) for route planning and navigation. And you can plug in an OBD dongle to send real-time car data (state of charge, battery temperature, etc.) to ABRP for more accurate estimates of distance, charging time, adjustments to route, etc. It'd be cool if the car would send the data directly to ABRP without the need for an OBD dongle.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if any of the route planning methods uses real-time onboard data from the car? Doesn't seem like it from this video. Looks like it relies on vehicle selection from a list.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wonder if any of the route planning methods uses real-time onboard data from the car? Doesn't seem like it from this video. Looks like it relies on vehicle selection from a list.
It looks like it does for Apple??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
That's encouraging, since the Solterra has standard integrated Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
That Subaru Canada video specifically uses the Apple Maps route planning with charging stations as an example. Great to see. But looks like the Solterra app (Subaru Drive Connect he called it in the video) also does route planning. So I'm sure that reads the vehicles data as well. Don't think there will be a need for an OBD dongle. But possibly if ABRP is what you really want to use.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sadly, one can only use the Apple Maps EV planning feature while they are in their car... since those features are not exposed to the user, except through the CarPlay interface. So much for planning my trip on my Mac or iPad (or iPhone while in the house) and then simply using the routing in the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts