Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Curious if anyone who understands the physics can say something about how effective the Solterra regen braking will be. This article <Regenerative braking: how it works and is it worth it in small EVs?> says a Tesla S might get 32%. The S weights a bit more than the Solterra and I believe the Solterra regen system is different.
Yeah, the nerd aspect in me is looking forward to testing the regen paddles to see how well they work - glad that the Solterra has them unlike the BZ4X to at least have the potential to utilize them as effectively as possible. As the article notes it logically seems that city driving and downhill stretches are really the only areas where it will have any impact but it seems my days of trying to always be hyper vigilant in infrequently braking for driving efficiency in cities/high traffic will be eased somewhat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yeah, the nerd aspect in me is looking forward to testing the regen paddles to see how well they work - glad that the Solterra has them unlike the BZ4X to at least have the potential to utilize them as effectively as possible. As the article notes it logically seems that city driving and downhill stretches are really the only areas where it will have any impact but it seems my days of trying to always be hyper vigilant in infrequently braking for driving efficiency in cities/high traffic will be eased somewhat.
From what I've seen in reviews, the paddle shifters don't max out the Regen any more than S-Pedal. So, it seems to mainly be helpful for lowering the Regen for passengers to not get jerked around. When I'm by myself, I'll probably stay in S-Pedal mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I've seen in reviews, the paddle shifters don't max out the Regen any more than S-Pedal. So, it seems to mainly be helpful for lowering the Regen for passengers to not get jerked around. When I'm by myself, I'll probably stay in S-Pedal mode.
Yeah, S-Pedal mode is either the fifth, most regen mode or direct link to the fourth, paddle accessible mode and although it still seems fairly mild probably is best to limit selecting to when driving by yourself to lessen the annoying head toss from passengers not always expecting the regen braking and ease on the lesser, paddle modes with passengers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No reference to Regen, in the manual, while in cruise control or adaptive cruise control.
Though cruise control is not amongst the situations listed that would automatically deactivate Regen braking power setting. P.59 Getting Started Guide.

Obviously pedal braking, which also uses regen braking (to exactly what extent and when friction braking starts coming into play?) would automatically cancel cruise control but automatic braking in adaptive cruise control would almost certainly be in regen mode just like pedal braking. I wonder if one could be in cruise control and be going down a grade where tapping a regen paddle to a stronger setting would work to keep you at the set cruise speed and not cancel it while gaining a little bit of a charge?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
97 Posts
Though cruise control is not amongst the situations listed that would automatically deactivate Regen braking power setting. P.59 Getting Started Guide.

Obviously pedal braking, which also uses regen braking (to exactly what extent and when friction braking starts coming into play?) would automatically cancel cruise control but I wonder if one could be in cruise control and be going down a grade where tapping a regen paddle to a stronger setting would work to keep you at the set cruise speed and not cancel it while gaining a little bit of a charge?
One taps the button to up the speed 5 mph/tap. If you do that twice and when speed is reached you tap the -5mph the cruise control brakes the car, bringing the speed down. I did not cancel cruise control, did the car use Regen to slow the car down.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wonder if one could be in cruise control and be going down a grade where tapping a regen paddle to a stronger setting would work to keep you at the set cruise speed and not cancel it while gaining a little bit of a charge?
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the computer is doing. Even on my other Subaru's it's obvious the computer can use the transmission (with the cruise control set) to reduce speed as much or more than I can with the paddles, which equates to exactly what you're saying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts