Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This video was posted today. The test driver drove the car in a real world situation. The results seem better than expected. From what I gather they were getting around 50kM better than the computer stated. The computer calculated 15.7 [kWh/100km]. That's equivalent to 3.96 mi/kWh or 133.4 MPGe. The outside temp was 28c.

I can't tell if this is a FWD or AWD. This could make a difference.

Vehicle Speedometer Car Sky Font
Computer Font Laptop Gadget Display device

·
Registered
154 Posts
Appears to be the front wheel drive model.

The last comment was probably the most pertinent:
The average power consumption of this test is 15.7kwh/100km, and 1kwh is about 6.36km. If you look at this road condition, the 71kwh battery can be about 452km. Calculate the daily power range of 90% to 10%, and the mileage is 20% off, about 360km.
Here's an automatically translated copy of the page description and select comments:
[Special Project] TOYOTA bZ4X 200 kilometer of power consumption test! Expressway/Mountain Road/Urban Area Comprehensive Data!

TOYOTA bZ4X 5/17 was released in Taiwan, with a battery capacity of 71.4kWh, and the measured data of the Taiwan Energy Bureau is 626km. Today, we specially pulled the car out for testing, including highways, mountain roads, and urban roads within 200 kilometers. After all, bZ4 How will X perform? This time, we have prepared a bZ4X dazzling speaker to draw to all the audience. Leave a message to tell the test results. How many kilometers the actual driving mileage and computer data are different, and we can get the lucky draw qualification! #TOYOTA #bZ4X #Pure electric SUV*Wonderful review* 2022 TOYOTA bZ4X pure electric rest car is coming! Highlights, advantages, disadvantages, complete disclosure! Can it shake the status of Tesla, the overlord of electric vehicles?

C Y
48 minutes ago
In the end, the actual mileage is 35 kilometers more than the computer data. After watching this test, it really makes people really want to try or even buy!! If you can't grab a car, you should at least need a speaker! Thank you, Dad.

Min Jun c
4 hours ago
In the end, the actual mileage was 45 kilometers more! I want to smoke a sound~

Allen
3 hours ago
One motor is also more power-saving than two motors.

Soft today
2 hours ago
Why do you think you can drive less miles than other cars?

Hou Jason
1 hour ago
Is it possible that you really have to measure that there is no electricity at all?

sillegal2001
5 minutes ago
The average power consumption of this test is 15.7kwh/100km, and 1kwh is about 6.36km. If you look at this road condition, the 71kwh battery can be about 452km. Calculate the daily power range of 90% to 10%, and the mileage is 20% off, about 360km.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
73 Posts
For comparison I have a 2019 crosstrek limited that's get up to 37 mpg. The listing for it shows all highway is 33 mpg. I think we are being feed the lowest end of MPGe.

·
Administrator
158 Posts
My `19 OB car-puter regularly reads 1.5mpg better than what I actually put in the tank. I've always subtracted ~2mpg off whatever the maroney sticker says and haven't been (that) wrong.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This video was posted today. The test driver drove the car in a real world situation. The results seem better than expected. From what I gather they were getting around 50kM better than the computer stated. The computer calculated 15.7 [kWh/100km]. That's equivalent to 3.96 mi/kWh or 133.4 MPGe. The outside temp was 28c.

Did they say this one is for the N. American market? I thought the N. American Solterra was getting the 72.8 kWh CATL battery. This one is the 71.4 kWh Panasonic battery, apparently.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I also don't see how the test was conducted. For example was it all highway at 65 mph? Or, mixture of city/hwy? Efficiency in the absence of this information is kind-of useless. Also, it looks like they're confusing the gross 71 kWh with the usable capacity, which is probably more like 57 kWh.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
258 Posts
I also don't see how the test was conducted. For example was it all highway at 65 mph? Or, mixture of city/hwy? Efficiency in the absence of this information is kind-of useless. Also, it looks like they're confusing the gross 71 kWh with the usable capacity, which is probably more like 57 kWh.
Don't know about that. All other EVs advertise their usable kWh, not their gross. My Kona had 67 kWh gross, but spec'd and advertised as 64 kWh.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hyundais have small battery buffers. ToyoBaru have gone conservative with an extra buffer it seems.
If so, I have not seen anything published (and don't quote reviewers) about the ToyoBaru buffer, only the 72 kWh, and am sure that is usable.

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 757 View attachment 756
FWD only in Taiwan, 300 units for this year. They only have one model, selling for about $53,900 USD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand the language in this video. Couple testing parameters they brought up -
40% highway driving (I think Taiwan highway speed limit is about 65 mph)
40% mountain driving
20% city driving
AC is on, set at 73F, wind speed at level 1

He made a comment saying BZ4X surprised him for almost 1 to 1 ratio on the estimated range (about 93% of the range shown on the screen at the beginning of the trip). He said he owns a Tesla, and normally that ratio is down to about 75% real world driving. He said that's less range anxiety for him in BZ4X.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If so, I have not seen anything published (and don't quote reviewers) about the ToyoBaru buffer, only the 72 kWh, and am sure that is usable.
Kyle Conner charged the bZ4X to 99%, and it amounted to 61 kWh delivered from the charger, which means maybe 56 kWh received by the battery. Doubt seriously 72.8 kWh is the usable capacity. Probably more like 62-66 kWh if it has a healthy buffer below 0% indicated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Kyle Conner charged the bZ4X to 99%, and it amounted to 61 kWh delivered from the charger, which means maybe 56 kWh received by the battery. Doubt seriously 72.8 kWh is the usable capacity. Probably more like 62-66 kWh if it has a healthy buffer below 0% indicated.
He's a reviewer. I would like to see something from Subaru or Toyota saying that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did they say this one is for the N. American market? I thought the N. American Solterra was getting the 72.8 kWh CATL battery. This one is the 71.4 kWh Panasonic battery, apparently.
Is it this Panasonic battery the same or similar to the one that Panasonic supplies to Tesla (4680) ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it this Panasonic battery the same or similar to the one that Panasonic supplies to Tesla (4680) ?

Only Lucid, Rivian, Tesla use cylindrical batteries like the 4680.

Everybody else uses pouch/prismatic cells. Technically more volume (more energy) but nobody has perfected cooling yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
He's a reviewer. I would like to see something from Subaru or Toyota saying that.
I doubt ToyoBaru will ever release the real world usable capacity. Heck... HyunKia's battery specs are not clear either. What's the physical capacity and what's the usable capacity on the Ioniq 5s and EV6s

Tesla is the same. Not official battery specs from them.

The only transparent one has been Ford. They list the physical capacity and usable capacity.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We may not know all the exact gross numbers, but people have figured them out. But the manufacturers in their specs state the usable kWh, as that is what matters. With the Solterra, we don't have enough data to do that yet, but it will happen, I'm sure.

It's all about the BMS, and the manufacturers do adjust that based on data they get back on the usage and diagnostics. At the beginning, you can expect Toyota to be more conservative. They don't want to repeat the mistakes some others have made (fires, etc).

It is also pointless to focus on what is the DC charging speed after 90%. Unless free, it is cheaper to use L2 at that point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
FWD only in Taiwan, 300 units for this year. They only have one model, selling for about $53,900 USD
This article says in Taiwan, Solterra is priced starting at NT$1,798,000, which is CDN$77.6K or US$60.4K. It is available starting at Q3 2022.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts