Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A discussion of these began insde one on manuals and likely has a wide audience. The initial question is whem do brake lights come on while uaing these features on the Solterra. Do the 1-4 paddle settings on the steering wheel activate the brake lights at some level? What do new owners have to say?

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited; 2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC
325 Posts
A discussion of these began insde one on manuals and likely has a wide audience. The initial question is whem do brake lights come on while uaing these features on the Solterra. Do the 1-4 paddle settings on the steering wheel activate the brake lights at some level? What do new owners have to say?
I think @dfault7 is waiting for a nice day to ask his wife to stand outside while he flies by a few times!

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reading the manual on p 240± (new manual version) is the following " The regenerative braking force can be selected from 4 levels.
By operating the “-” side of the paddle shift switch, the regenerative braking force can be made stronger than the current one.
By operating the “+” side of the paddle shift switch, the regenerative braking force can be made weaker than the current one."

Does anyone else find this counter-intuitive? Pressing the negatice gives you more. Pressing the positive gives you less.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
Reading the manual on p 240± (new manual version) is the following " The regenerative braking force can be selected from 4 levels.
By operating the “-” side of the paddle shift switch, the regenerative braking force can be made stronger than the current one.
By operating the “+” side of the paddle shift switch, the regenerative braking force can be made weaker than the current one."

Does anyone else find this counter-intuitive? Pressing the negatice gives you more. Pressing the positive gives you less.
I agree. I think their thought was that more 'negative' results in a higher or more aggressive 'decrease' in speed maybe? No matter how i try to comprehend it, I still think it should be the other way around. The plus to increase regen and the negative to decrease regen makes more sense.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More from p. 240. "■ How to cancel the regenerative braking force selection mode
In the following conditions, the regenerative braking force selection mode is canceled.

●The “+” paddle shift switch is pressed and held.
● When the “S PEDAL DRIVE” is operating."

Holding the "+" paddle depressed is another / consistent version of more is less. The second suggests regenerative braking and S Pedal are an either/or option. Søren Kierkegaard would approve.

· Registered
28 Posts
As somebody else already wrote here.
I understand it more from ICE view:
- for "downshift" which increase regenerative breaking or decreasing sailing
+ for "upshift" which decrease regenerative breaking or increasing sailing
For me probably more important would be left / right paddle than + / - but no experience here :)

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
As somebody else already wrote here.
I understand it more from ICE view:
- for "downshift" which increase regenerative breaking or decreasing sailing
+ for "upshift" which decrease regenerative breaking or increasing sailing
For me probably more important would be left / right paddle than + / - but no experience here :)
So long as left paddle = more regen, I'll be good switching been Outback and Solterra!

· Registered
1 Posts

I love it. Feels intuitive as it matches traditional brake/accelerator pedal orientation— hit “brake” harder, click left. I find paddle driving more fun and engaging than S pedal.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I love it. Feels intuitive as it matches traditional brake/accelerator pedal orientation— hit “brake” harder, click left. I find paddle driving more fun and engaging than S pedal.
The "-" paddle stope forward motion as does hitting the brake pedal. Actually it dawned on me that in actual driving this is not a thought process but rather an involuntary response much quicker than thinking. Certainly some will perfer using accelerator + brake and others the S Pedal by itself (except for final stop).
A poet might find the two words pedal and paddle and their connection worthy of use.

· Registered
5 Posts

Yes, I find it counter-intuitive.

· Registered
186 Posts
Its the left paddle. There is no indication as to its number that I have seen. Now I understand what you are saying but ... its the left paddle. ;)

For me I have had to get over 120v range anxiety, not something I expected. That occurs when I plug the damn thing in every time I'm not using it and it never gets much below 90%. So my S Pedal never works until I have driven it quite a ways. I have learned to use the left paddle, as it works with less regen battery space needed.

I have had it unplugged for 2 days now, and will go see my daughter tomorrow which will use up 140 Km and finally bring my battery down to almost half, for the first time. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts