Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's about the right ballpark. They've got to meet with you, quote it, prepare the permit application, submit it, roll a truck to your house, do the work, submit permit paperwork/call for inspection, prepare an invoice for you. Depending upon how the wire gets pulled, it might take a second person to be on site. Do you want it done correctly, the first time? Just saying... yeah, qualified electricians are expensive. Local for me, they are $115/hr plus a $65 truck roll charge to cover their time stocking the truck with the necesary parts and driving over to the job.

Yeah, it's a lot of money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, you're missing the point for my situation. I'm well aware of all the factors that go into costing a job like this, and as I said I'm perfectly willing to pay them a reasonable hourly rate - $150/hr would not bother me. But in my case no pulling needed (10' straight conduit), city website gives them an instant permit, no inspection needed. Using your numbers of $115/hr and $65 truck roll, they should be charging me about $350 for this job. But they want twice that much, and Qmerit wants almost four times that amount.

The thing is, if I ask them to install a plain outlet, I get a reasonable quote, and I've had that done before. If I ask them to perform a comparable job for an EVSE, the quote doubles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm really annoyed with all electricians right now. They hear you want to install a car charger and they quote you some ridiculous price.

In my case, the charger is going to be mounted 10' away from the sub-panel in the garage. The sub-panel is already properly sized and already has the proper breaker installed for the the charger (an electrician did that when they did previous work). I already have the charger. I already have sufficient 6/3 wire from a previous job. So the job is to install 10' of EMT conduit in the garage and attach three wires to the panel and three wires to the EVSE. I figure $100 for the permit, <$75 for the conduit and fittings, and maybe 1 hour of time. I'm willing to pay them a reasonable charge for their time, but they want to bill me >$700 for the job. That's not reasonable. QMerit wants $1200, and that doesn't include the permit. That's way less than reasonable.

So if anyone has a recommendation for an electrician in the Tacoma area who will charge a reasonable amount, let me know!
I live in Ohio, so obviously I don’t know anyone in your area, but I may have an idea. My son used to attend a private grade school and I got to know the head electrician working there. I asked him if he did any electrical work on the side, and he said yes. He no longer works for that school, but he’s now my go-to guy for electrical work, and he doesn’t charge nearly as much as the local electrical contracting shops as he has dramatically lower overhead (for example, he doesn’t have to maintain a shop full of parts… he just orders what he needs for each project).

Not sure this helps you, but it certainly has saved me a LOT of money.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's been a few months since the Qmerit thing was publicized for the Solterra, and a decision was to be made about discounts. I'm wondering if there's been any movement on that, or is it somehow tied to the delay of production? I'd like to have the charger installed before I get the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
From the Solterra web page, it's a$400 credit. Would be nice to get it before the car, but I'm not sure how that would work. With Chevy Bolts, the dealer initiates a request with Qmerit after the purchase. Qmerit just sends out local electricians to quote the work. I'm wondering if $400 is enough to offset the middleman markup.

As a benefit of purchasing a new Solterra, Subaru is offering $400 toward the cost of installation of Level 2 home-charging.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've heard a few people say they got quotes from Qmerit and they said they are kind of expensive. Probably cheaper to get your own electrician and take the charger credit. Plus you won't be able to get anything until you actually purchase the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally, the charger "benefit" is a nothingburger, so I agree with "marketing stunt". Its something for the salesperson to throw around ("Look at these additional benefits!!").

Unfortunately, The EVGo network is more like an "EVGone" network outside of major metropolitan areas. My two closest sites are Hartford and New Haven, each about an hour away. I'd use more electricity driving to and from than the free credits would be worth.

And as others have pointed out, $400 off a QMerit installation is still more expensive than hiring my own electrician, which is what I intend to do.

I would have been much happier with the option of either $400 in charging credits on the network of MY choice (Electrify America and Chargepoint are both fairly common near me) or a $400 rebate on a charger and / or installation, payable on presentation of a paid invoice. That's how CT handles its energy efficient appliance program: you sign up, they send you a coupon. If you hire a contractor, give them the coupon and they claim the rebate; otherwise send the coupon back with your receipt and you get a check.

I'm still buying a Solterra, but between this non-benefit for charging / chargers and the total radio silence on the recall, SoA is making this a tough wait!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unfortunately, The EVGo network is more like an "EVGone" network outside of major metropolitan areas. My two closest sites are Hartford and New Haven, each about an hour away. I'd use more electricity driving to and from than the free credits would be worth.
You should be able to use your EVGo credits on the ChargePoint network.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You should be able to use your EVGo credits on the ChargePoint network.

I sure hope you're right. There are essentially zero EVGo chargers in the places I often travel to (but FWIW not many CP DC chargers either). I'm counting on using Electrify America and (when they finally open them up to all-comers) Tesla SuperChargers. If I ever cross paths with an EVGo or CP fast charger, I guess I'll be able to use up some of those $400 credits.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts