Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Subaru announced the free 10 days of a car rent and new Solterra owners would either choose $400 charing credits on EvGo or a $400 rebate on a level 2 charging station for your home via Qmerit.

I am expecting my Solterra in September, I would like to go with the $400 rebate on the level 2 charing station, but I was wondering when you might think we would know more information ?

I would like to get my level 2 charger installed at home prior to actually getting my car

What are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told we would receive an email prior to delivery asking for which option we prefer.

I am glad to hear the amount. I too would like the home install, but want to do it now. Wonder if we need to wait? Also, will we need to go through Qmerit to get the credit?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wanted to have a charger installed before the car also, but in Los Angeles, to get the rebate I need to send in the car registration. And if I decide not to take delivery of the car maybe because they add adm at the last minute or I just don’t like the car, then I can’t claim any rebate on the charger. So I will just have to wait until I get the car and just deal with charging install after.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wanted to have a charger installed before the car also, but in Los Angeles, to get the rebate I need to send in the car registration. And if I decide not to take delivery of the car maybe because they add adm at the last minute or I just don’t like the car, then I can’t claim any rebate on the charger. So I will just have to wait until I get the car and just deal with charging install after.
I’m having the same thoughts about charger installation. Ideally, I’d like to prepared and have the charger installed ahead of time, but there are a lot of unknowns like a last minute ADM like you say. I’m in Minnesota and my utility company has a program where you can get 2 cent per Kw off peak charging but you have to get the charger from them. There’s $16 per month maintenance fee for the charger unless you buy it for $800 and then there’s still a $7 a month fee.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Preferred AWD LR
31 Posts
You all should just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet now. As far as I can tell, that's compatible with both chargers available through Qmerit, and the 40A limit for that outlet is above what the Solterra can charge at from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong on that). The only reason you wouldn't want to do this is if you imagine buying another EV soon that could use 48A level 2 charging, which is only possible with a hardwired installation. Even then, 48A is still only marginally faster than 40A. I have an Ioniq 5 that could charge with 48A but went the NEMA 14-50 route as those chargers were cheaper if you don't care about smart charging.

Then, when you get the credit, you just buy the charger and plug it in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tyler, unfortunately my rebate is for charger and installation so I really can’t do anything until I’m sure I will have the car.
I agree we have to wait for installation and the charger

if the rebate covers just the charger we may be able to do an outlet and then just get the charger

or if you want the 48 amp hardwire charger then you will need to wait

I am hoping as the first deliveries happen we will learn more

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Preferred AWD LR
31 Posts
Could you guys post the language of the rebate offer here? My mom ordered a Solterra and I suggested she install a 14-50. Would be pretty dumb if they don't let you apply it to the charger only as that's easily $400, whereas a lot of people may already have an outlet in the right place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could you guys post the language of the rebate offer here? My mom ordered a Solterra and I suggested she install a 14-50. Would be pretty dumb if they don't let you apply it to the charger only as that's easily $400, whereas a lot of people may already have an outlet in the right place.
I don't think any official language exists for this yet. Just some marketing blurbs that this offer will happen through qmerit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, it kind of is, but the only way you can get these great off peak charging rates is to either buy or rent the charger from them. I will be doing most of my charging at work for free so I might just install my own L2 charger. View attachment 735
Is that from Xcel energy? They also have a program which gives you off peak charging between 9pm to 9 am, weekends and holidays. I signed up for that and only charges and do laundry/dishes during off peak times it made a difference on monthly bills.

Btw, curious, which MN dealership you ordered Solterra and did they charge you MSRP? I want to make a note to see which MN Subaru dealers I should ask next time. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is that from Xcel energy? They also have a program which gives you off peak charging between 9pm to 9 am, weekends and holidays. I signed up for that and only charges and do laundry/dishes during off peak times it made a difference on monthly bills.

Btw, curious, which MN dealership you ordered Solterra and did they charge you MSRP? I want to make a note to see which MN Subaru dealers I should ask next time. Thanks!
Yes, it is is Xcel energy. I wasn't aware of that program - that might be a good option.

I ordered mine from Morries in Minnetonka. They did not charge me any dealer markups.

·
Registered
95 Posts
here are the Excel programs if interested.

Home.

One note I saw that I haven’t been able to find online is this -
“* Due to a new code enforcement in Minnesota, ChargePoint customers are required to install a 70-amp circuit. Please consult your electrician prior to wiring installation”

Bloomington Subaru also doesn't have any ADM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you both! Guess I'm the only unfortunate one ordered from Walser Subaru and not going to purchase because they wanted $5k. But learned my lesson, never gonna to give Walser group any business from now on!

here are the Excel programs if interested.

Home.

One note I saw that I haven’t been able to find online is this -
“* Due to a new code enforcement in Minnesota, ChargePoint customers are required to install a 70-amp circuit. Please consult your electrician prior to wiring installation”

Bloomington Subaru also doesn't have any ADM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I looked into Qmerit I realized you had to have them install the charging unit. I suspect that even with $400 off it would be an expensive job. So, I found a recently unemployed electrician who ran 90 feet of 6/3 wire across my basement and hooked a 40-amp breaker at one end and a 14-50 outlet in my garage on the other end. 125 feet if wire was $530 at Menards and the electrician charged less than $400. Now, I'm just waiting for my allegedly July delivery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm really annoyed with all electricians right now. They hear you want to install a car charger and they quote you some ridiculous price.

In my case, the charger is going to be mounted 10' away from the sub-panel in the garage. The sub-panel is already properly sized and already has the proper breaker installed for the the charger (an electrician did that when they did previous work). I already have the charger. I already have sufficient 6/3 wire from a previous job. So the job is to install 10' of EMT conduit in the garage and attach three wires to the panel and three wires to the EVSE. I figure $100 for the permit, <$75 for the conduit and fittings, and maybe 1 hour of time. I'm willing to pay them a reasonable charge for their time, but they want to bill me >$700 for the job. That's not reasonable. QMerit wants $1200, and that doesn't include the permit. That's way less than reasonable.

So if anyone has a recommendation for an electrician in the Tacoma area who will charge a reasonable amount, let me know!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts