Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't seem like there are any production vehicle charging tests out there. Anyone with access to a North American Solterra able to do a charging curve test from 0 - 100% so we can see if production charging curve improved at all?

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
Also interested considering there was a software update as part of the PDI to address issues with “charging in cold weather”
I don’t think this update was any curve update though. Probably just addressed heating the battery first in order to charge in really cold environments. But we’ll see i guess!

· Registered
110 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are any production vehicle charging tests out there. Anyone with access to a North American Solterra able to do a charging curve test from 0 - 100% so we can see if production charging curve improved at all?
I thought it was made clear that recommended charging is from 20% - 80%. Why test 0-100% when it is known the 40% on the ends are slow and not advisable? Sounds like irrelevant data to me.

· Registered
88 Posts
I thought it was made clear that recommended charging is from 20% - 80%. Why test 0-100% when it is known the 40% on the ends are slow and not advisable? Sounds like irrelevant data to me.
On the early bZ4X tests the 0-20% was the fastest part of the charging curve. So unless you like to spend extra time waiting at chargers, using that part of the battery looked to be the fastest way to road trip.

But that's all speculation since we don't know if the Solterra software is the same. Hence this thread.

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
477 Posts
On the early bZ4X tests the 0-20% was the fastest part of the charging curve. So unless you like to spend extra time waiting at chargers, using that part of the battery looked to be the fastest way to road trip.

But that's all speculation since we don't know if the Solterra software is the same. Hence this thread.
It is OK to go below 20% sometimes, on a trip for example, if you are stretching it to make it home or the next charging station. Just don't leave it there without recharging.

· Registered
516 Posts
It is OK to go below 20% sometimes, on a trip for example, if you are stretching it to make it home or the next charging station. Just don't leave it there without recharging.
I don’t think anyone has figured out exactly what the state of charge is (percentage) when the “low” light comes on, which is the only thing you’ll see while you’re driving (other than miles/km left).

· Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
I don’t think anyone has figured out exactly what the state of charge is (percentage) when the “low” light comes on, which is the only thing you’ll see while you’re driving (other than miles/km left).
Would it really have killed them to include SOC % on the instrument panel????? I am seriously going to miss that (from my current car) - I almost never pay attention to the "MTE" (miles to empty).

· Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
If they can't add someone like that, OTA updates are absolutely useless. They should be able to change absolutely anything on that display.
One would think so. There are many other benefits to OTA updates e.g. improving the fast-charging curve, even if it turns out this isn't one of them.

· Registered
127 Posts
If they can't add someone like that, OTA updates are absolutely useless. They should be able to change absolutely anything on that display.
I’m assuming there may also be the occasional dealership software update that is required.. Who knows?
I do hope the percentage display is offered as an option in place of MTE. It’s painful to see those km drop off at higher rate than the odometer climbs In this cold climate right now.

· Registered
110 Posts
Would it really have killed them to include SOC % on the instrument panel????? I am seriously going to miss that (from my current car) - I almost never pay attention to the "MTE" (miles to empty).
Are SOC% and MTE both only approximate readings? Both would seem to be calculations based on some assumed average. If I only had SOC% I suspect I woulf quickly learn to translate it into miles remaining. Neither can be exact.

· Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
Are SOC% and MTE both only a[[rocimate readings? Both would seem to be calculations based on some assumed average. If I only had SOC% I suspect I woulf quickly learn to translate it into miles remaining. Neither can be exact.
SOC is the more likely of the two to be a measurement, and in and case more reliable. The MTE would fluctuate depending on the efficiency being assumed. A change in driving conditions, like slowing down, can lead to the MTE going up, even as the SOC is going down.

Bottom line, I know how much charge I have left (more or less), but I don't know how far I can drive on that charge - just a reasonable guess. Hence the term "guess-o-meter" or GOM for short.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts