Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case range gets the better of you. Someone developed a 3.5kW "gas can" for an emergency situation.

Reactions: Commodore

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Perhaps, unless the owner *of that other EV has the persona of an elitist or thinks they are the IRL Scrooge McDuck.... I'd rather try this or wait for AAA.😜

Reactions: Commodore

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
Another way of looking at it, is driving around with a 1g can of gas in your ICE car. Who does that?! The gas and can would cost 10 dollars vs $4 - 5000 for the portable battery charge. And only weigh about 10 lbs vs 100. Would be better off carrying around a generator with a gallon of gas for an EV (not that anyone would do that either).

And most, if not all EVs sold today, come with free roadside assistance which includes a low battery recovery event. That seems to me a much better solution and insurance for that situation. Also, you would have to be an extreme idiot to let your car battery run that low without charging, given all the onboard alerts, data, and aids to prevent that, and also direct you to the nearest charging station. Plus don't forget that you can charge your car (slowly) at any 120v plug if you have to. At least that would get you up to a level to get to the next fast charger.

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@R P, you are under estimating the number of idiots out there... :ROFLMAO:

I didn't say this item was an ideal solution. More like thinking out of the box option. Especially if traveling somewhere like this...

·
Registered
1984 MB 300TD Estate (S123)
11 Posts
Another way of looking at it...
I've known so many people who nearly always drive an ICE car with low on gas. Just squirting in $5-10 of gas. It is a human problem, not a vehicle problem. Still, no excuse SBR didn't design Solterra around the 800 V architecture with a 350 kW charging capability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.