Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
I, as well, use the display mirror on our Ascent quite a bit. I use it due to third row passengers obscuring the normal rear view. It can be adjusted through the software but it did take a little of use to get adjusted to the look of it. But it’s second nature for me now. And yes, my kids love looking at it as well since they can see exactly what I’ve always seen from my viewpoint looking behind.
That sounds so cool! I never thought of that, that instead of seeing the driver's face, rear seat passengers would be able to see the outside view!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My daughter and I have been playing a game recently where we pick a make of vehicle and count how many we each see of our pick in that trip and i think this is WHY she likes to see out through that smart rear view mirror - gives her one more advantage over me! Fun times.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
273 Posts
I was briefly behind some form of BMW the other day that had a similar format of two winglets and no rear wiper. I didn't catch the model number, however.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, looks like the rear-view camera will get MORE obscured than the rear window... Not seeing a camera-washing feature listed....
I’d be surprised that they wouldn’t include a rear camera washing spray, don’t they have that on just about every model today? Ours are way old school so don’t know first hand but that’s not special tech or mechanical wizardry stuff.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
I’d be surprised that they wouldn’t include a rear camera washing spray, don’t they have that on just about every model today? Ours are way old school so don’t know first hand but that’s not special tech or mechanical wizardry stuff.
Maybe some makes/models do, but my 2019 BMW and my 2021 Subaru don't have camera washers.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
-Subarus specifically, definitely some.
Edit: I’m hearing an “oatside” so this may be a Canada only feature 😆
I took you're onto something there. Up North you seem to get a lot of "really helpful in winter" features that our cars here in the US tend to lack, even as options. I bet you even get headlight washers too, right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do you all think about the Solterra apparently not including a rear wiper on a car obviously designed and built for the rugged (and often wet and muddy) outdoors and especially, snow country? I find this to be a serious misstep.

The way I drive is very focused on what’s around me, my mirrors are adjusted correctly to minimize blind spots and I am always scanning what’s ahead and behind me. Not having the ability to easily wipe away muck and grime that accumulates in even the best of conditions to keep my 360° scanning visibility of the dynamic conditions around me while driving makes me feel a little hamstrung.
We have all been talking about BAD weather and not having a rear wiper. There is another problem with slanted rear windows in GOOD weather, namely heat gain. One car I had (a "Z") got so hot inside I had to install louvers on the rear glass.
The Solterra glass is not that slanted, but it definitely be a heat source. (Good in winter, not so in summer.)

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
We have all been talking about BAD weather and not having a rear wiper. There is another problem with slanted rear windows in GOOD weather, namely heat gain. One car I had (a "Z") got so hot inside I had to install louvers on the rear glass.
The Solterra glass is not that slanted, but it definitely be a heat source. (Good in winter, not so in summer.)
Good thing the rear glass is tinted...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Once again, we see that beautiful Ox Tongue interior color (which I think looks great with the two tone white pearl and black), which is not offered in North America, A pity. I don‘t know who decided on offering that gray and blue StarTex interior, but I personally dislike it. Looks like my order will have to be black.

·
Registered
23 Solterra, 21 RAV4 Prime, 20 GR Supra
27 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....
I was able to test-drive a Solterra (Luxury trim) on Saturday.
I live on the west coast (AKA wet coast).
It rained for a portion of my time with the vehicle and, within minutes in stop and go traffic, the back was completely obscured. On the highway, it was no problem, but this was on a new, clean car.
My current car, a Toyota RAV4 Prime, has a rear camera on the tail fin antenna. Along with a wider view of vision, it's great when you have passengers and/or cargo obstructing your vision.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Yeah, the lack of a rear wiper is a minor nit, not a showstopper. I have owned several cars without them. Rain-Ex is an excellent solution if it turns out to be a bigger deal than expected.
That's cool! I've used it a lot on the front window, but never thought to (or needed to) use it on the rear!

Thanks @soltguy and @CTValleySubaruGuy for the tip!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts