Subaru Solterra Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok - humor me.
i remember in Toyota’s recall notice to NHTSA, they stated that the issue with the wheel coming off was reported three times, I think - once in Thailand and twice in the US.
There are two wrecked bz4xs at a salvage yard in CA. Are those the two samples from the US Toyota mentioned?

Play conspiracy theory with me!!!!
Good thought, but Toyota probably boxed those first two examples up and shipped them to the home base to scrutinize before the announcement was made.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like the way you think!

They're probably also taking this extra time to: switch to the Panasonic or LFP batteries, certify it for towing in the U.S., install 120V outlets, swap in a 11.5 kW L2 charger, and negotiate a free charging extension with EVGo!!
LOL - that’s quite a lofty expectation, but I’ll take it

·
Registered
469 Posts
I like the way you think!

They're probably also taking this extra time to: switch to the Panasonic or LFP batteries, certify it for towing in the U.S., install 120V outlets, swap in a 11.5 kW L2 charger, and negotiate a free charging extension with EVGo!!
Not far-fetched about Panasonic batteries. They'll need to start building and sourcing materials for those batteries here if they want to qualify for future tax credits in the U.S. I don't want towing, since towing packages generally stiffen the ride.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not far-fetched about Panasonic batteries. They'll need to start building and sourcing materials for those batteries here if they want to qualify for future tax credits in the U.S.
Even with appropriately sourced batteries, won't EVs also have to be built in North America to qualify for the credit/rebate under IRA?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That’s a significant distinction… final assembly can mean something quite different than the term “general assembly” or “assembly” might imply, so from the information I’ve seen, that requirement might not be too difficult to circumvent. The battery content specifications are much more specific.

To satisfy certain country requirements… The BMW manufacturing plant I live a few miles from makes X vehicles that they then partially re-disassemble before shipping, which are then reassembled once reaching their final destination country prior to sale.

When it comes to vehicle assembly, there is no such thing as a “black and white” definition.

And it gets far more complicated…. Check out the “Chicken tax” as an example…

·
Registered
533 Posts
That’s a significant distinction… final assembly can mean something quite different than the term “general assembly” or “assembly” might imply, so from the information I’ve seen, that requirement might not be too difficult to circumvent. The battery content specifications are much more specific.

To satisfy certain country requirements… The BMW manufacturing plant I live a few miles from makes X vehicles that they then partially re-disassemble before shipping, which are then reassembled once reaching their final destination country prior to sale.

When it comes to vehicle assembly, there is no such thing as a “black and white” definition.

And it gets far more complicated…. Check out the “Chicken tax” as an example…

Since the Monroney stickers already list the % North American content, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to write the law to require a minimum NA %... or even better, tie the rebate amount to the NA % (50% ==> $X credit, 75% ==> $1.5X credit and so on....).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm sure they have a standard way of defining "final assembly". Here's the text as it stands now. Clearly, they can't ship the car in a box with four tires, attach the tires in North America, and call it a car assembled in North America. They talk about "qualified manufacturers", so maybe there's an approval process that includes whether their "final assembly" is appropriate.

‘(5) FINAL ASSEMBLY.—For purposes of paragraph (1)(G), the term ‘final assembly’ means the process by which a manufacturer produces a new clean vehicle at, or through the use of, a plant, factory, or other place from which the vehicle is delivered to a dealer or importer with all component parts necessary for the mechanical operation of the vehicle included with the vehicle, whether or not the component parts are permanently installed in or on the vehicle.’’.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree, but the phrase in the context above is loose enough to be “interpreted” many ways.

Thats why I pointed out the definition of “final assembly” is not as clear as one might first think.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL wtf!!!

I wonder when that video, if authentic, was taken, lol. If it's authentic, they apparently knew of the wheel bolt problem as the tied cloth gives it away! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::oops:

EDIT: BZ4x scene starts at the 1:20 mark.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts