Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't call that a mess. Seems like a pretty generous offer to current bZ4X owners who've lost the use of their vehicles. They're also being told that they can take the $5,000 now and if it goes on too long, they can get a buyback. Or, they can go through the buyback process and if they don't like their offer, they can switch to the $5,000.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can someone give a call to this 1-800 number and ask them WTF is going on with the recall?!!?
Ok - humor me.
i remember in Toyota’s recall notice to NHTSA, they stated that the issue with the wheel coming off was reported three times, I think - once in Thailand and twice in the US.
There are two wrecked bz4xs at a salvage yard in CA. Are those the two samples from the US Toyota mentioned?

Play conspiracy theory with me!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll play!
I'd say no, they are "normal" crashes.
Neither has damage around the wheel well that indicates the wheel was not attached at time of impact.
Well - true.
but maybe the wheel damage has been photoshopped?????:alien:

Actually another point someone made was that they were surprised the ADAS systems did not prevent or at least lessen the severity of the crashes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually another point someone made was that they were surprised the ADAS systems did not prevent or at least lessen the severity of the crashes.
I'll bet the severity of the impact on the red one was reduced quite a bit. I would estimate the impact was somewhere in the 20-30mph (maybe less given the coolant reservoir is still holding liquid). If it was tooling along at 50mph or greater then there could have been a very dramatic response from the Safety Sense systems that couldn't quite stop the vehicle.

I'd say the silver one hit something that the SafetySense couldn't see. It was obviously tall and thin. I originally figured it was a telephone pole, but the metal is cut in at such a sharp angle that it had to be something smaller, like a metal pole or a metal wedge of some sort.

I've had EyeSight systems in all my cars since 2014 (when I paid a couple thousand dollars to try it out and promote the new technology) and (assuming Toyota is on par with Subaru) I would estimate the current generation can intervene and stop the car in most situations up to around 40-50mph.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok - humor me.
i remember in Toyota’s recall notice to NHTSA, they stated that the issue with the wheel coming off was reported three times, I think - once in Thailand and twice in the US.
There are two wrecked bz4xs at a salvage yard in CA. Are those the two samples from the US Toyota mentioned?

Play conspiracy theory with me!!!!
Don't fret too much. those two vehicles are transported from the IIHS crash test at their CA test site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep. And in each of those two cases, it was the front left wheel.
The wheel on the 3rd BZ that came loose was also the left front. If I am guessing, I think it's just random lock that it was that particular wheel on all 3 units. I suspect that at least the front two (or maybe all 4) would be susceptible to the bolts loosening although I could see the front two having a higher chance because of the steering (again, just a guess since non of us really know nothing about what's going on with this - ugh).

·
Registered
469 Posts
The wheel on the 3rd BZ that came loose was also the left front. If I am guessing, I think it's just random lock that it was that particular wheel on all 3 units. I suspect that at least the front two (or maybe all 4) would be susceptible to the bolts loosening although I could see the front two having a higher chance because of the steering (again, just a guess since non of us really know nothing about what's going on with this - ugh).
Unless it's a production snafu at the front left.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that they have a fix, but are taking this time in parallel to improve charging speed. If so, all sins forgiven. 🤣🙏⚡
I'm more inclined that they have a fix but it's a new or modified part that has to be tooled up, production tested, and finally inventory built to not only satisfy the production line (once restarted) and to replace the ones already built. At least that's what I hope at this point, lol. For all I know, Toyota hasn't figured out why this is happening and is too stubborn to simply change back to studs / lug nuts lol (which would take production and tooling time as well).

What would be funny (at least I think so) is that they simply changed the torque and that fixed it but they have to test and test and test and that's what all this time is about.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that they have a fix, but are taking this time in parallel to improve charging speed. If so, all sins forgiven. 🤣🙏⚡
I like the way you think!

They're probably also taking this extra time to: switch to the Panasonic or LFP batteries, certify it for towing in the U.S., install 120V outlets, swap in a 11.5 kW L2 charger, and negotiate a free charging extension with EVGo!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the way you think!

They're probably also taking this extra time to: switch to the Panasonic or LFP batteries, certify it for towing in the U.S., install 120V outlets, swap in a 11.5 kW L2 charger, and negotiate a free charging extension with EVGo!!
I really really hope they are trying to fix this whatever the solution they use. Must have seen all the negative press about the charging speed, especially in the North / Canada.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts