Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went in to officially reserve my order from Gregoris Subaru in Valley Stream NY. Our dealer stated that Subaru of America had just come in yesterday to give them a breakdown of how to do the order process. He pretty much said that you can choose a color/accessories later on and this was just giving Subaru a heads up about actual interest. Once we agreed to the trim, color, and accessories, he threw a $5,000 marker adjustment fee on top of the MSRP and was confused why we were upset. We walked away, for almost $60K the Solterra would need to have at least 300 miles of range and faster charging. Highly disappointing experience when I’ve seen other members on here have a great time ordering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went in to officially reserve my order from Gregoris Subaru in Valley Stream NY. Our dealer stated that Subaru of America had just come in yesterday to give them a breakdown of how to do the order process. He pretty much said that you can choose a color/accessories later on and this was just giving Subaru a heads up about actual interest. Once we agreed to the trim, color, and accessories, he threw a $5,000 marker adjustment fee on top of the MSRP

Agree. NOT a good (or fair) deal. I have specifically asked my salesperson if they are adding ADM. No response yet. BTW, I am having difficulty getting into the refund site with my browser, Firefox. Has anyone cancelled yet and used Subaru's site?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just went in to officially reserve my order from Gregoris Subaru in Valley Stream NY. Our dealer stated that Subaru of America had just come in yesterday to give them a breakdown of how to do the order process. He pretty much said that you can choose a color/accessories later on and this was just giving Subaru a heads up about actual interest. Once we agreed to the trim, color, and accessories, he threw a $5,000 marker adjustment fee on top of the MSRP and was confused why we were upset. We walked away, for almost $60K the Solterra would need to have at least 300 miles of range and faster charging. Highly disappointing experience when I’ve seen other members on here have a great time ordering.
I second that with my right hand raised!!!… Today, August 30th I was at Bay Ridge Subaru in Brooklyn, New York trying to complete my reservation order for the Solterra. The sales guy started to build my red Limited trim with just two options added to it…a black two-tone roof and the tailgate utility hitch for a bicycle rack and the final price like almost $60,000. I’m like no way!!!!! The sales guy is like a market adjustment of $6000 is added!!!! I walked away and said I will come back next week!!! This is very very very disappointing for an EV that’s smaller than a Ford Mustang and less than 300 miles! Do these sales guys think I’m that gullible!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I second that with my right hand raised!!!… Today, August 30th I was at Bay Ridge Subaru in Brooklyn, New York trying to complete my reservation order for the Solterra. The sales guy started to build my red Limited trim with just two options added to it…a black two-tone roof and the tailgate utility hitch for a bicycle rack and the final price like almost $60,000. I’m like no way!!!!! The sales guy is like a market adjustment of $6000 is added!!!! I walked away and said I will come back next week!!! This is very very very disappointing for an EV that’s smaller than a Ford Mustang and less than 300 miles! Do these sales guys think I’m that gullible!!!!
Have you had previous positive experiences with Bay Ridge Subaru? I've heard less than flattering reviews of that particular Subaru shop.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened to you @Sr_87. Godd thing you walked away rather than deal with that nonsense. Have you reached to other dealers about ordering a Solterra from them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m calling Subaru of America… I’m not paying any $6000 Market Adjustment for the Solterra! The dealers want to eat our opportunity for the $7500 tax incentive!!! You people please wise up!!!! You could easily get a Tesla with all wheel drive and more range for the same price!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You people please wise up!!!! You could easily get a Tesla with all wheel drive and more range for the same price!!!!
I'll never give Tesla a dime. Range and charging time do not make a vehicle great. I'm brand loyal to Subaru and sad that some dealerships are going with ADMs. But Elon Musk doesn't need to make more money. I don't trust VW after their past tricks and Hyundai isn't a reliable vehicle in my book.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Range and charging speeds are meaningless if you have plenty of chargers.

I own two Teslas (Y and 3) and have zero range anxiety which was not true when I owned an ID.4 and Mach-E. Because Tesla superchargers are so busy (they will never open up to non-Teslas without large subsidies), I usually get 75 kW or less which is how V2 chargers work with power sharing. Regardless, there are enough chargers (every 10-15 miles) that I do not worry about my state of charge.

My opinion has always been... CCS charging coverage (and L2 also) is so poor in the US that road trips are for the brave or machoistic or the retired with lots of spare time. This will change once the $7.5B EV charging fund builds chargers everywhere but that's years away.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
236 Posts
Range and charging speeds are meaningless if you have plenty of chargers.

I own two Teslas (Y and 3) and have zero range anxiety which was not true when I owned an ID.4 and Mach-E. Because Tesla superchargers are so busy (they will never open up to non-Teslas without large subsidies), I usually get 75 kW or less which is how V2 chargers work with power sharing. Regardless, there are enough chargers (every 10-15 miles) that I do not worry about my state of charge.

My opinion has always been... CCS charging coverage (and L2 also) is so poor in the US that road trips are for the brave or machoistic or the retired with lots of spare time. This will change once the $7.5B EV charging fund builds chargers everywhere but that's years away.
So why are you looking to buy a Solterra??

·
Registered
90 Posts
So why are you looking to buy a Solterra??
Purely commuter and hobby transport (to various RC flying fields that are deep through off roads). It won’t be my trip/primary car. Considering a MINI SE as a commuter and owning a large gas SUV a secondary car. The other option is to return to a Prime but I’d only consider the top trim. Availability is basically non existent. Also seriously considering a Telluride (non EV) instead of a Solterra and commuting with an EV.

So far the EVs I’ve owned - get trashed driving on off beaten paths and are a bit lacking in cargo space. What would be perfect is an R1S and having a MINI SE as a pure commuter.

Solterra might be an okay stop gap until we have large SUV EVs with ground clearance. The price and mediocre range is pushing me to a Telluride though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who is your sales person at Gregoris? I just finalized my order last week and was not hit with any ADM of any sort. I have been using this dealer for about 10 years now and I only go to one sales person there.. Send me a PM so I can try to help you. No use in cancelling now because we can't transfer the reservation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I live in Asheville NC and Prestige Subaru - extremely well-known in the SE -just presented me with a 5k and 1k market adjustment on my Limited Solterra quote, never mentioned by my sales rep there. This feels like the old days - 20 years ago - of bait and switch.
I was 1 of 8 reservations - they will only receive 8 cars by September. I have until May 25th to make my decision. Since we are already Tesla EV owners in our family AND this would be my 7th Subaru , I am really shocked. If you lookup Ford and GM , they have also sent discouragement letters to their dealerships as they are trying the same exact tactic. Tomorrow, I will give my dealership the opportunity to present a different quote.Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello, I live in Asheville NC and Prestige Subaru - extremely well-known in the SE -just presented me with a 5k and 1k market adjustment on my Limited Solterra quote, never mentioned by my sales rep there. This feels like the old days - 20 years ago - of bait and switch.
I was 1 of 8 reservations - they will only receive 8 cars by September. I have until May 25th to make my decision. Since we are already Tesla EV owners in our family AND this would be my 7th Subaru , I am really shocked. If you lookup Ford and GM , they have also sent discouragement letters to their dealerships as they are trying the same exact tactic. Tomorrow, I will give my dealership the opportunity to present a different quote.Stay tuned.....
Don’t do it! I’m not going more than $1000 over the msrp!!! It’s not worth it for an EV with such short range… 220-238 miles. The first day you drive this car and after 2 or 3 hours I bet the range meter going to be under 200 miles and you begin worrying about recharging!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don’t do it! I’m not going more than $1000 over the msrp!!! It’s not worth it for an EV with such short range… 220-238 miles. The first day you drive this car and after 2 or 3 hours I bet the range meter going to be under 200 miles and you begin worrying about recharging!
And it can barely carry 2 bicycles on that 500 pound limit rear hitch utility rack!! Very weak capabilities!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts