Subaru Solterra Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
...or they are the tightest and most secretive group I’ve ever seen in the auto industry.
The salesperson I have been dealing with for almost 10 years has always said, "I love it when you come in, I always learn something."

Every once in a while he goes to some training where they release information he's not supposed to pass on, but I often wonder whether it's just a test so Subaru can troll around and see where leaks occur.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was watching the national news tonight and a reporter was discussing the $10K student loan forgiveness program. If what he said is true, the refund is grandfathered all the way back to March 2020. So, if you owed => $10K on a student loan in March 2020, but have now paid it off, you can still get a $10K refund.

Yet, if you had a sales contract on a non-NA-assembled EV but not yet taken delivery when the legislation was signed modifying the EV tax credit formula, you get squat…

Life isn’t always fair…or, at least is sometimes feels that way…

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was watching the national news tonight and a reporter was discussing the $10K student loan forgiveness program. If what he said is true, the refund is grandfathered all the way back to March 2020. So, if you owed => $10K on a student loan in March 2020, but have now paid it off, you can still get a $10K refund.

Yet, if you had a sales contract on a non-NA-assembled EV but not yet taken delivery when the legislation was signed modifying the EV tax credit formula, you get squat…

Ironic that those most vocal about saving the planet are the quickest to discourage EV adoption.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Yeah, that's how it goes.

Just reading around though, there is quite a bit of lobbying by various CEO's, chairmen and automotive groups for a delay or waiver. Not sure if it will happen but has happened many times in the past for various laws. The Buy American law has been granted waiver after waiver after waiver.

Also, many other countries from the EU and Asia are hitting CONgress and the Biden Administration on this issue. Much of it on WTO and Free Trade pacts already in place. South Korea even gives subsidies to imported US cars from the agreement so it's not surprising they would be pissed the most.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I guess it makes more money to forgive student loans than to promote EV cars :parrot:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, based on this one article, that needs to be verified by another...I don't think we will EVER see the Subaru Solterra in the wild to be owned by those of us, who put down the deposit. If so, it will be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more expensive for a car whose technology will be passed 6 months from now. I am a loyal current Subie owner, but this situation has just blown up for both Toyota and Subaru. Oh well, S*%! happens. Time to look elsewhere...

Disappointed in CO.

PS. I sure hope an EV comes through that provides quicker charging, longer range, and most importantly 8.3 inch plus of vehicle height clearance to deal with snow that we get here in the high country of Colorado.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, based on this one article, that needs to be verified by another...I don't think we will EVER see the Subaru Solterra in the wild to be owned by those of us, who put down the deposit. If so, it will be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more expensive for a car whose technology will be passed 6 months from now. I am a loyal current Subie owner, but this situation has just blown up for both Toyota and Subaru. Oh well, S*%! happens. Time to look elsewhere...
All they're telling you is what we already knew -- the Solterra no longer qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit. (It looked like) Subaru was going to be nice enough to apply the tax credit to the lease, since the credit goes to the owner, not the lessee. Not all manufacturers/dealers were doing that before.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with @md. ... Far too much time/effort/expense has been invested in the Solterra/bZ4x to simply junk it and act like nothing happened.

Demand is so high for EVs that there will most certainly be a market for the vehicles, although some pricing adjustments may be necessary, and even that action is too early to predict with any certainty.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I can't imagine that scenario. They will arrive, whether it's in one month or four. Too much invested to abandon. Just need some patience.
I'm certain it's coming. I'm just hoping they've been working, in parallel with the lug bolt remedy, on those charging algorithms to agree with the Solterra users manual about 150 kW max charging speed. I need to drive out to those national parks in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Been thinking with all the pressure from foreign countries and the automakers themselves, there might be some sort of waiver or delay. Also thought there might be a softening after elections so that the politicians look like they held fast to the agreement. Maryland’s governor might be the first politician to come out and say what I’ve been thinking. He’s a centrist GOP governor so to me, that brings hope that a softening / phase in could be added without a huge political battle. Thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thoughts?
The feds, be they lawmakers or the IRS, should hold firm. Look at all of the announcements for battery factories (and chip fabs) that have been made since the IRA was signed. Demand for EVs remains high.

If current interest rates and the loss of the tax rebate are an issue for you, either downsize to something cheaper or wait a few years for production to increase. (A Nissan dealer near me has six new Leaves on its lot.)

My mini dealer just called me to tell me about a Mini Cooper SE, similar to my order, that has been produced but not allocated yet. I'm guessing that someone counting on the $7500 tax rebate cancelled. Unfortunately it was the lesser trim. I'm hoping that the Iconic trim ships with the matrix LED headlamps that ship with the 'level 3' (aka, Iconic) trim level that the EU gets, and which are finally legal in the US in 2023.

I hate to say it, and this is politics, but Manchin was right. EVs don't need tax credits. Now, if EVs started to pile up on dealers' lots, it might be a different story.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The feds, be they lawmakers or the IRS, should hold firm. Look at all of the announcements for battery factories (and chip fabs) that have been made since the IRA was signed. Demand for EVs remains high.

If current interest rates and the loss of the tax rebate are an issue for you, either downsize to something cheaper or wait a few years for production to increase. (A Nissan dealer near me has six new Leaves on its lot.)

My mini dealer just called me to tell me about a Mini Cooper SE, similar to my order, that has been produced but not allocated yet. I'm guessing that someone counting on the $7500 tax rebate cancelled. Unfortunately it was the lesser trim. I'm hoping that the Iconic trim ships with the matrix LED headlamps that ship with the 'level 3' (aka, Iconic) trim level that the EU gets, and which are finally legal in the US in 2023.

I hate to say it, and this is politics, but Manchin was right. EVs don't need tax credits. Now, if EVs started to pile up on dealers' lots, it might be a different story.
Those announcements were just that, Toyota in particular has been working to shift production of electric vehicle components to the US for quite some time. Look at the hybrid engine line in Alabama, and the EV/hybrid battery & motors assembly in Michigan. Hyundai has been working to expand their domestic capabilties as well - all of this movement has been going on for a couple of years and I'm pretty sure none of the automakers are being spurred by the new law with regards to the credits for consumers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Is there news on Subaru moving EV production to the US? There was hint of it by the GM of the Subie dealer I spoke to but of course it sounded like hopium. Has there been official Subaru announcements?

101 - 120 of 120 Posts