Subaru Solterra Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
IMO…The main thing is the lack of a grace period.

I don’t disagree with the intent…moving production to NA/USA, but the rules weren’t written with any thought (or were they???) to the time that move would take to implement.

However, we all have to play the hand we’re dealt… like it or not…

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
I don’t disagree with the intent…moving production to NA/USA, but the rules weren’t written with any thought (or were they???) to the time that move would take to implement.
I feel similarly and absolutely support the intent. But I also believe that the rules were very carefully designed the way they were to overcome a particular individual's "concerns". It will be interesting to see if the government does indeed entertain waivers or if things stay as they appear to be with the hard-cutoff on NA manufacturing/final assembly, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Remember, none of this means anything until you file your taxes in about 8 months.
Which is why my CPA friend says it's a $7,500 roll of the dice. Maybe on some EV's but for me, that's not a roll of the dice I'm willing to take on the Solterra. Getting it at M.S.R.P. and the $7,500 Fed Rebate made it worth it to me. Without the $7,500, to many other EV's I'd rather buy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Which is why my CPA friend says it's a $7,500 roll of the dice. Maybe on some EV's but for me, that's not a roll of the dice I'm willing to take on the Solterra. Getting it at M.S.R.P. and the $7,500 Fed Rebate made it worth it to me. Without the $7,500, to many other EV's I'd rather buy.
Yep, I clearly caught that inference and thought I’d reiterate it a bit more plainly for those it may have slipped by.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m going to ride this thing a little longer and see where it takes me. Lots of time is going to pass before many of us even see Solterra being delivered. I‘ll make the final decision when I’m in the position to actually take the vehicle delivery.

In my case, I don’t have much to lose, other than time wasted waiting…

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nor have we seen any reliable information that production is actually restarting on 9/7, but I hope that is indeed the case. Has anyone seen any reliable information that production is restarting then, other that there haven’t been any additional delays announced after that time?

At that, its only a guess…

It would seem odd that no dealership (that I know of, anyway) has any new hard, reliable information on the ”fix”.

When deliveries restart, I fully expect Toyota to start out slow…then advance as no additional problems arise.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Has anyone seen any reliable information that production is restarting then, other that there haven’t been any additional delays announced after that time?
I think the default understanding is that production happens unless otherwise indicated. So, the current default indication is that production will resume September 7. That's not to say there won't be an indication otherwise sometime in the next 8 days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is the best information we have at this time, and also basically the only information we have at the moment.

Still, coming to conclusions based solely on the absence of information is a pretty bad way to discern what the facts actually are, and those conclusions are often proven wrong.

While most of us hope production holds to schedule, I’ll reserve judgment until I actually see it restart.

But, that’s just me…

·
Registered
593 Posts
That is the best information we have at this time, and also basically the only information we have at the moment.

Still, coming to conclusions based solely on the absence of information is a pretty bad way to discern what the facts actually are, and those conclusions are often proven wrong.

While most of us hope production holds to schedule, I’ll reserve judgment until I actually see it restart.

But, that’s just me…
I don't know if Subaru has delivery estimates on hold, but my dealer just told me the system still says September for mine. I'll go ahead and take the absence of bad news as good news. ⚡

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't know if Subaru has delivery estimates on hold, but my dealer just told me the system still says September for mine. I'll go ahead and take the absence of bad news as good news. ⚡
I suspect most of the current September delivery estimates say that because they just don't know what to change it to - except for cars already built. Once production resumes, I'm guessing soon afterward we'll see a lot of those dates updated.

For any car not yet built, there's virtually no way it can be delivered in September, and even October is a stretch.

My original ETA (on April 26) was August. With a 3-month shutdown (just shy of), I'm projecting November. It's currently listed as September but I don't believe that.

For what it's worth, other cars I'm looking at - equipped the way I want them - are all expected in November or later, so at this point, it's wait for the Solterra or wait for something else (where the "something else" is generally more expensive by several k$).

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think the default understanding is that production happens unless otherwise indicated. So, the current default indication is that production will resume September 7. That's not to say there won't be an indication otherwise sometime in the next 8 days.
So far during the shutdown period, successive shutdown extensions have been announced well over a week in advance. I take the current absence of news as a good sign - but clearly, we won't know for sure until production actually resumes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There’s certainly nothing wrong with having an optimistic viewpoint.

I guess in my almost 70 years of life, I’ve learned not to put too much hope in optimism alone, without something substantial to support the belief.

In fact, I’m optimistic the IRS will allow those of us with pre-legislation orders placed to still get the tax credit, but I am not relying on it to do so.

Who knows… maybe lighting will strike twice and we’ll get lucky on both counts!

·
Registered
670 Posts
There’s certainly nothing wrong with having an optimistic viewpoint.

I guess in my almost 70 years of life, I’ve learned not to put too much hope in optimism alone, without something substantial to support the belief.

In fact, I’m optimistic the IRS will allow those of us with pre-legislation orders placed to still get the tax credit, but I am not relying on it to do so.

Who knows… maybe lighting will strike twice and we’ll get lucky on both counts!
I'll just be happy if my car shows up before January (happier still if it shows up in November)!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer personnel I spoke with today said it's a matter of IF, not WHEN, for the Solterra. He's been with Subaru a long time and has good insight into their inventory and production. Might be pure speculation on his part but not very encouraging.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts