Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Solterra 2023, Luxury (Limited)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got new direct information from Subaru Canada about the slow charging speed on the fast charging stations. Specifically, there is a communication conflict at the handshake level between the charging port on the Solterra and the charging station. It is dependant on the software/ protocol that both uses which explains why some stations/ some cars can work. At least for now, Circuit électrique and Flo networks don't work with the Solterra Subaru current charging protocol. Subaru World is aware and has teams in Canada at the moment trying to solve the issue (if it's on the Subaru side or the Charging station side).

I was strongly recommended to reach through my local Dealership to be specifically attached to a Field Quality Manager to insure not fall through cracks.

So all the speculation about weather, or anything else may be an influence, but we know more now.

Learned at the Montreal Auto Show.

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
480 Posts
I just tried charging at the Chevron station using the Journie app, which is free for now. I was at 20%, but I only got it up to 35kW, and dropping to 34, 33, 32, and then I gave up. Not sure why it is so slow. There was a Mustang EV there just before me, and he was charging at 60 kW. So must be something between the Solterra and those charging stations.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
I just tried charging at the Chevron station using the Journie app, which is free for now. I was at 20%, but I only got it up to 35kW, and dropping to 34, 33, 32, and then I gave up. Not sure why it is so slow. There was a Mustang EV there just before me, and he was charging at 60 kW. So must be something between the Solterra and those charging stations.
Not necessarily. The temperature of your battery and its ability to receive a charge at that temperature may not have been equal to the mustangs battery temp and its capabilities at that time. It’s never that simple unfortunately

· Registered
480 Posts
Not necessarily. The temperature of your battery and its ability to receive a charge at that temperature may not have been equal to the mustangs battery temp and its capabilities at that time. It’s never that simple unfortunately
It wasn't exactly cold out and I was driving about 30 kms just before that, so battery was not stone cold. And there was a bZx4 there earlier today, actually this guy, 168, who said a couple weeks ago, who was charging at 75kW max 115 kW at this same charger at 10C outside, not much diff.
Last night , I was able to charge at a max of 115kw. From 8% SOC to 80%, it took 34 mins. Because it appeared for only a second, I was unable to take a picture of it when it stopped. It was 10c at charging time.

View attachment 1280

View attachment 1281

View attachment 1283

· Registered
480 Posts
I charged my Kona at the Petro Canada chargers (350 kW) back when they were free and in winter ( 5-10C) used to get a lot better than that when my SOC was low. ie 20%. And spec wise, the Solterra should be a lot faster than the Kona.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
It wasn't exactly cold out and I was driving about 30 kms just before that, so battery was not stone cold. And there was a bZx4 there earlier today, actually this guy, 168, who said a couple weeks ago, who was charging at 75kW max 115 kW at this same charger at 10C outside, not much diff.
If that guy hit 115 then it was a FWD bZ4X with a different battery pack which has a higher charging rate. The AWD bZ has the same pack as the Solterra in North America and it charges slower with a max rate of 100kw

· Registered
480 Posts
If that guy hit 115 then it was a FWD bZ4X with a different battery pack which has a higher charging rate. The AWD bZ has the same pack as the Solterra in North America and it charges slower with a max rate of 100kw
Yes it was. And I know it has a diff make battery. But why such a big diff in charge rate? This was my first fast charge attempt. Will be doing more. There are some free BC Hydro 50 kW chargers and would like to see how they work. My Kona used to charge on those in the winter at 49 kW at lower SOC. Would expect the same with the Solterra.

· Registered
480 Posts
Just saw this, same experience as I just had. Starts off at 36 kW and goes down from there. My starting SOC was 20%.

· Super Moderator
416 Posts
Just saw this, same experience as I just had. Starts off at 36 kW and goes down from there. My starting SOC was 20%.
I don’t disagree, it should charge faster. Clearly they need to improve the programming on the charging abilities. At a low state of charge like that, the car should be pulling greater than 50kw.

· Registered
28 Posts
Not so long ago I read about mobile chargers / cables / connectors in regard to EU basically forcing USB-C to these small rechargeable stuff like mobile, tablet, wireless headphones, ... and their reasoning is to reduce waste - why have 10 different cable with different charging bricks to charge it when almost never you need to charge everything at one time.
Somebody was doing some kind of test, in comments I read that the test was not made the best but the idea should stand.
Different manufacturers use different communication protocols to determine maximum power due to some limitations of other protocols, also cables are sometimes the issue as they can't deliver the power (not issue here).
So for me it makes sense that maximum power delivery communication fail and it use some fallback values like these terrible ones...

· Registered
65 Posts
So for me it makes sense that maximum power delivery communication fail and it use some fallback values like these terrible ones...
Same here - IDK if there's any industry/Open Source/ISSO for a communications protocol between a car and a charging station. Fortunately though all of it should be at a software level for the most part...
In the USA, since it looks like SoA partnered with evGO maybe that will work better?
Unless they just picked a charging network semi-at random....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts