Subaru Solterra Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steven H et al, here it is....it is ALL good for us and hoping the same for all of you....
Last leg is an industrial freeway(ports etc) that gets out of Berkeley thro a traffic maze(called McArthur) and back on traffic bound highway..except for 3 miles all were highway with speeds 60 to 70 miles...We had the A/C on ECO mode with A/C turned on only to the front passenger seat(there is selector button as well which does that which was on) so the segment was 47 miles...57 minutes and A/C on it was 3.6mi/KWh....... tho' for most of the trip it was showing 3.7mi/KWh(active indicator folks that Steven H got me on is a life saver)....So my engineering kid calculated that for every 5 miles A/C used 1 mile and we recalibrated the car is 285 to 290 mile range car and so if you account for 20% AC the range drops to EPA 229miles (Voila).....
One more thing:

This morning was bit drag...had used EVgo(all issues resolved with free bee) from 50% to 85 % it took me 51 miles where much of the charge was accelerated first 50 to 70.....so will see what time it takes from 20% to 60%(as Steven H had suggested and report back)......With all these stats we are getting closer to being 100% comfortable with 2 DCFC charge from San Jose to San Diego 425 miles

·
Registered
378 Posts
Steven H et al, here it is....it is ALL good for us and hoping the same for all of you....
Last leg is an industrial freeway(ports etc) that gets out of Berkeley thro a traffic maze(called McArthur) and back on traffic bound highway..except for 3 miles all were highway with speeds 60 to 70 miles...We had the A/C on ECO mode with A/C turned on only to the front passenger seat(there is selector button as well which does that which was on) so the segment was 47 miles...57 minutes and A/C on it was 3.6mi/KWh....... tho' for most of the trip it was showing 3.7mi/KWh(active indicator folks that Steven H got me on is a life saver)....So my engineering kid calculated that for every 5 miles A/C used 1 mile and we recalibrated the car is 285 to 290 mile range car and so if you account for 20% AC the range drops to EPA 229miles (Voila).....
Awesome! Efficiency looks really good! And that puts a better light on the charging speed in terms of miles recovered per minute charging instead of kWh per minute charging. Thanks for your efforts!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome! Efficiency looks really good! And that puts a better light on the charging speed in terms of miles recovered per minute charging instead of kWh per minute charging. Thanks for your efforts!
Thank you StevenH....it was really fun to capture these data for ourselves and fulfilling that the data is meaningful for all you!!
BTW, EVGo station started at 35KW and dropped to 14KW(78% mark) so... will need to Toyota and EVgo where is these stations they claim take 10 to 85% in 30 minutes... EVGo customer service so far is really good... and so is Toyota customer support team both of them respond and try hard to get answers :)

SO all of us who are interested in the bottom line.....We started this morning with 245miles(85% charged) and after 110 miles of drive we are left with 117 miles with 41% charge remaining so that nets around 285 miles of range with out A/C.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So to keep people from having to look back too far in the thread, "thiru420!" was driving a US-spec bZ4X XLE AWD, which is a 4,332 lb. similar weight to the US-spec Solterra Premium at 4,365 lb. And at this point, the consensus is that they both share the same CATL brand cells in the battery pack and probably both have the 18" wheels.

Great job!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks thiru420! for posting the above. This confirms nicely the others tests I've seen thus far, but with a more real-world twist adding in shorter distance hops, traffic, A/C on/off, etc. The real-world driving provides a bump in range vs the prescribed highway tests done by others as the differences you saw (eg congestion) actually improves range, which is a bit counter intuitive compared to gas cars. Near perfect weather of CA helps too :)

I assume this was a typo: "from 50% to 85% it took me 51 miles (?minutes?) where much of the charge was accelerated first 50 to 70." >> That is exactly the same behavior and time that Kyle @ OOS saw.

The consistency between all these reports is great to see -- particularly because day-to-day driving will be more like what you were doing than the straight 75mph range test that Car & Driver did (~167 miles). Long road-trips still suck...but we know that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So to keep people from having to look back too far in the thread, "thiru420!" was driving a US-spec bZ4X XLE AWD, which is a 4,332 lb. similar weight to the US-spec Solterra Premium at 4,365 lb. And at this point, the consensus is that they both share the same CATL brand cells in the battery pack and probably both have the 18" wheels.

Great job!
I am still (in denial) in belief that the car I driving has Panasonic batteries...I know this is Subaru forum( as an old younger me then owner of WRX buggy wagon) Toyota is not fair older brother...they release the car ahead of Subbie...etc so hoping these are Panasonic(my old company) battery and 20% of component are China so....unless Toyota squeezed $6K for this car battery from CATL .....rest of the spec please check I have a pending order with Solterra Limited with 20" wheel....but do know Solterra Premium is not the same as BZ4X AWD XLE

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks thiru420! for posting the above. This confirms nicely the others tests I've seen thus far, but with a more real-world twist adding in shorter distance hops, traffic, A/C on/off, etc. The real-world driving provides a bump in range vs the prescribed highway tests done by others as the differences you saw (eg congestion) actually improves range, which is a bit counter intuitive compared to gas cars. Near perfect weather of CA helps too :)

I assume this was a typo: "from 50% to 85% it took me 51 miles (?minutes?) where much of the charge was accelerated first 50 to 70." >> That is exactly the same behavior and time that Kyle @ OOS saw.

The consistency between all these reports is great to see -- particularly because day-to-day driving will be more like what you were doing than the straight 75mph range test that Car & Driver did (~167 miles). Long road-trips still suck...but we know that.
Thank Loki...we should thank StevenH for the nudges... 2 weeks back I had no clue what we did...lol.
First correction is 51minutes...I will report back time it takes from 20 to 60(still will give me 115 miles to 120 miles) only caveat you cannot panic....

On the highway... 425 miles from where i live to San Diego I am more optimistic...my wife is easier driver than my fat legs(LOL) and also after this mornings trip BZ4X efficiency is beginning to tick up now 3.8mi/kWh....my younger who drives our Prius observed that gas mpg on prius fluctuates after reset and goes up and steadies. Just another POV...time will tell. But Hopeful

Cheers all! Happy Cruising:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Edmunds "standard" test of bZ4X Limited AWD falls short of EPA estimate, for what that comparison of apples to kumquats is worth:

Their 227 miles (achieved) at avg. 65F, was a calculated consumption rate of 285Wh/mi.

While they bitched (complaining is telling someone who can do something about it, bitching is telling everyone else, and qualifying it with "this class of EVs", to have something seemingly important to say to attract readers (advertizing eyes) with a negative headline):

This falls short of its EPA range estimate by 15 miles or 6.2%, which is rare for this class of EVs.
If you look at their EV Range Leaderboard for other examples, you'll find plenty which fall short.

I should take a pass through Edmunds data and see if it is primarily the class of EVs with plenty of excess power and torque which do well under what I suspect is a heavy footed test driver, but that's just my speculation at this point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Edmunds "standard" test of bZ4X Limited AWD falls short of EPA estimate, for what that comparison of apples to kumquats is worth:

Their 227 miles (achieved) at avg. 65F, was a calculated consumption rate of 285Wh/mi.

While they bitched (complaining is telling someone who can do something about it, bitching is telling everyone else, and qualifying it with "this class of EVs", to have something seemingly important to say to attract readers (advertizing eyes) with a negative headline):

If you look at their EV Range Leaderboard for other examples, you'll find plenty which fall short.

I should take a pass through Edmunds data and see if it is primarily the class of EVs with plenty of excess power and torque which do well under what I suspect is a heavy footed test driver, but that's just my speculation at this point.
Few differences with my car
One it FWD(should have done better but capacity is 71or kW) and 20 " wheel....... AWD XLE is 18" and ~74KW....I am driving real world 711 miles on it already....and need to go to San diego(LOL) our only criterion and I am engineer would not play with data........

Dunno...this is the same edmunds who has been rating Mercedes much better performer if I recall..... dunno what they are smoking I do not need it for sure

·
Registered
14 Posts
bZ4X battery is about 65kwh (net) and there is 8% buffer in GOM. So GOM will display 0km when there is actually 5kw energy left in the battery. bZ4X GOM shows 300km range if previous consumption is 20kwh/100km?

Is there a way to check the real battery % (from Subaru or third party OBD app.)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last ser of updates on DCFC. Took the battery capacity down to 22% with 63 miles (est) remaining . At WF 50 KWh dc fast charger…..100 miles added at 60% capacity in 30 minutes…… this is great news for us to go across the state…. Hope it helps… i am still baffled with all car test data… have postwd pictures on the above charging and my toyota app screen shot( vin was cropped out)
Computer Output device Gadget Computer monitor accessory Flat panel display
Rectangle Font Display device Gas Electronic device
Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Output device Rectangle Television set Computer monitor accessory Gadget

·
Registered
378 Posts
Last ser of updates on DCFC. Took the battery capacity down to 22% with 63 miles (est) remaining . At WF 50 KWh dc fast charger…..100 miles added at 60% capacity in 30 minutes…… this is great news for us to go across the state…. Hope it helps… i am still baffled with all car test data… have postwd pictures on the above charging and my toyota app screen shot( vin was cropped out) View attachment 887 View attachment 889 View attachment 890
View attachment 888
Thanks a lot for the info! Those range estimates are great! Are you seeing the estimated ranges turning out to be accurate?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info! Those range estimates are great! Are you seeing the estimated ranges turning out to be accurate?
Anytime StevenH, thanks again! Range estimate within +/- 10miles of 280 miles is getting be norm for now with close to 750 miles on the car.
But not underline enough....efficiency will be the key indicator of whether one or the car can sustain...for my driving(which 90% of the miles) it is gotten to be 3.8mi/kWh as baseline since last reset.

Of course all of you know first 30 minutes at Whole Foods can go fast at least and they have 50 KW DCFC(need to pay attention other places I thought I saw 35KW) food and restrooms so until we get fast charging network like Tesla....WF could be a great pit stop.

Thanks again....unless I have anything new to update will be listen mode.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Anytime StevenH, thanks again! Range estimate within +/- 10miles of 280 miles is getting be norm for now with close to 750 miles on the car.
But not underline enough....efficiency will be the key indicator of whether one or the car can sustain...for my driving(which 90% of the miles) it is gotten to be 3.8mi/kWh as baseline since last reset.

Of course all of you know first 30 minutes at Whole Foods can go fast at least and they have 50 KW DCFC(need to pay attention other places I thought I saw 35KW) food and restrooms so until we get fast charging network like Tesla....WF could be a great pit stop.

Thanks again....unless I have anything new to update will be listen mode.
30 minutes to add 90 minutes of highway driving (100 miles) starting a bit high (22% SOC) using a 50kW charger is not bad. Starting lower (5-10%) may have stepped it up, but hard to tell on just a 50 kW charger. I'd look for 100-150 kW chargers and start at a lower SOC. But I understand getting that free EVgo juice.⚡

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd look for 100-150 kW chargers and start at a lower SOC. But I understand getting that free EVgo juice.⚡
[Reposted to correct thread]
Although there are, by some counts, many 150 and 350 kW DC chargers, there are also many places that are not close to said fast, fast chargers. For many EV drivers, the most convenient fast charger IS a 50 kW unit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
30 minutes to add 90 minutes of highway driving (100 miles) starting a bit high (22% SOC) using a 50kW charger is not bad. Starting lower (5-10%) may have stepped it up, but hard to tell on just a 50 kW charger. I'd look for 100-150 kW chargers and start at a lower SOC. But I understand getting that free EVgo juice.⚡
🙏🏽👍👍
Found 2 EVGo 100KW chargers 20 miles radius. Will go check them out... Low fuel indicator(redbar) shows up at just tad below 30% capacity....so it does get bit unnerving as you get closer to 20%.....and also had to push on speed and A/C to get closer to 20%...so will need a bit more scar wounds before we get to 5 or 10% lol.

BTW, have any of you checked charge retention of these EV cars especially if you are off on vacation say week or 10 days?

·
Registered
77 Posts
🙏🏽👍👍
Found 2 EVGo 100KW chargers 20 miles radius. Will go check them out... Low fuel indicator(redbar) shows up at just tad below 30% capacity....so it does get bit unnerving as you get closer to 20%.....and also had to push on speed and A/C to get closer to 20%...so will need a bit more scar wounds before we get to 5 or 10% lol.

BTW, have any of you checked charge retention of these EV cars especially if you are off on vacation say week or 10 days?
apologies if I missed it. Any reviews or comments on safety sense 3.0/ eyesight? Can you drive hands free on the highway? I Can start a new thread as probably off topic but haven’t been able to find much for review or comments on the system.

·
Registered
109 Posts
apologies if I missed it. Any reviews or comments on safety sense 3.0/ eyesight? Can you drive hands free on the highway? I Can start a new thread as probably off topic but haven’t been able to find much for review or comments on the system.
There's a series of fun videos on page 6 of this brochure from Hungary. I assume they'll be similar to what the rest of the world gets. I'll repost (or you can) if you start a new thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My car is AWD XLE toyota that does not have safety sense 3.0/ eyesight.....it does have some auto cruise features and functions(but that is not where my focus is for now) ....to get best feedback yup a NEW thread will get you more pertinent feedback, good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My car is AWD XLE toyota that does not have safety sense 3.0/ eyesight.....it does have some auto cruise features and functions(but that is not where my focus is for now) ....to get best feedback yup a NEW thread will get you more pertinent feedback, good luck!
I’m almost positive that your model is going to have all the same SS 3.0 features of the Solterra, which comes standard on every model.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts