Subaru Solterra Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't forget about slowing down with the paddle shifters. I think Subaru went to great extents to ensure drivers that are used to downshifting (I do almost every time I slow down and stop in my Outback and Forester, along with every other vehicle I've had with a manual transmission) can use the paddle shifters to activate regen and slow down in a familiar way. So S-Pedal isn't the only way to proactively use regenerative braking. I much prefer "coasting" when I let off the accelerator.
bZ4X doesn't have the "paddle shifters"....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don't forget about slowing down with the paddle shifters. I think Subaru went to great extents to ensure drivers that are used to downshifting (I do almost every time I slow down and stop in my Outback and Forester, along with every other vehicle I've had with a manual transmission) can use the paddle shifters to activate regen and slow down in a familiar way. So S-Pedal isn't the only way to proactively use regenerative braking. I much prefer "coasting" when I let off the accelerator.

I also had a 2001 Prius and after 330,000 miles I still had the original brake pads. Once you learn how to use regenerative braking is easy to only tap the brakes at a slow roll to stop and hold the vehicle.
I don't think the paddle shifters work that way. They just let you set the brake intensity of regen (when letting off of the accelerator) to one of four different levels. This will help to limit how much your passengers get jerked forward. The most intense level is the same as having S-Pedal turned on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's not uncommon for legacy/ICE auto makers. It takes a few years/few EV models for the dealership folks (especially sales) to figure out EVs (it helps if at least one of them actually owns/DRIVES one on a regular basis).
Could not agree more...but I fully fault Toyota in my case had no clue and let BZ4x roll out.....at Sunnyvale dealer have a demo and we both are learning sometimes fun but more times frustrating...part of any learning I guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was just reading about a test of the bZ by Gareth Herincx and how is it the bZ gets better range than the Solterra. Apples to apples, the AWD bZ according to the article gets 286 miles! Solterra only 225- Why?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was just reading about a test of the bZ by Gareth Herincx and how is it the bZ gets better range than the Solterra. Apples to apples, the AWD bZ according to the article gets 286 miles! Solterra only 225- Why?
That’s a UK test (and car). Therefore, different method for calculating range. Also, as the article states, it has the 71.4kwh Panasonic battery and the 150kw charger. So even if the range estimates were calculated the same, the batteries are different

·
Registered
378 Posts
Solterra is rated the exact same 286 mile range on the European WLTP driving cycle. Apples to apples.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Quick update...Have driven ~50 miles + city with regen braking mode on (can I have Regen ON all the time or is there any issues) 4.5mile/kWh......that is compelling but would like to ask is there any down side..... I cannot see you one...unlike in the ICE engine the start & stop can detrimental affect engine/drive train.....regen is simly kinetic energy harnessed back to the car...correct
Thiru, have you noticed the real-time efficiency number (mi/kWh) on the instrument display while driving on the highway?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thiru, have you noticed the real-time efficiency number (mi/kWh) on the instrument display while driving on the highway?
mi/KWh even at the end of trip read out has been tricky and quirky(3 out 5 times I missed when i was really trying to monitor if Regen added extra or not).....bcoz you need hit park button and then turn off power and wait for SoC to calculate....10s or so....else you will miss it.....now my son and I plan a longer ride tomorrow...to see impact of AC, dcfc and of course if real efficiency can be monitored.

BTW, I have strong hunch first releases are Panasonic battery(I used for them on consumer electronic that aside) range is 290ish past week(without A/C in my case) and also checked overall % of component only 20% from China and 80% from Japan(unlike ID4 50+% China = CATL battery) .....dunno for sure just my 2bits

·
Registered
378 Posts
mi/KWh even at the end of trip read out has been tricky and quirky(3 out 5 times I missed when i was really trying to monitor if Regen added extra or not).....bcoz you need hit park button and then turn off power and wait for SoC to calculate....10s or so....else you will miss it.....now my son and I plan a longer ride tomorrow...to see impact of AC, dcfc and of course if real efficiency can be monitored.

BTW, I have strong hunch first releases are Panasonic battery(I used for them on consumer electronic that aside) range is 290ish past week(without A/C in my case) and also checked overall % of component only 20% from China and 80% from Japan(unlike ID4 50+% China = CATL battery) .....dunno for sure just my 2bits
The multi-information display (directly in front of the driver) has an option to view the driving information display. In that view, the Current Power Consumption bar (which is above the total or trip average bar) shows the instantaneous current power consumption in miles/kWh. I'd be interested in what that says while you are cruising steady on the highway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The multi-information display (directly in front of the driver) has an option to view the driving information display. In that view, the Current Power Consumption bar (which is above the total or trip average bar) shows the instantaneous current power consumption in miles/kWh. I'd be interested in what that says while you are cruising steady on the highway.
Yes found it.... took a short trip average 3.6mi/kWh but ended with higher number like 6....this was 5 miles...will definitely reset(there is an option) and will monitor the entire ~120 miles 2 ways tomorrow on freeway...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes found it.... took a short trip average 3.6mi/kWh but ended with higher number like 6....this was 5 miles...will definitely reset(there is an option) and will monitor the entire ~120 miles 2 ways tomorrow on freeway...
Thanks, 3.6 is very good. The instantaneous read-out will change abruptly with speed. The average/trip read-out is a different number. But, I'm encouraged by the 3.6 if it's all steady highway miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, 3.6 is very good. The instantaneous read-out will change abruptly with speed. The average/trip read-out is a different number. But, I'm encouraged by the 3.6 if it's all steady highway miles.
Thank you for proding me to look at this readout....was a struggle past week (with static version) but now very intuitive!!

Hope tomorrow will be telling because we might try no A/C no regen on the way in and way back A/C and regen....will going up and down elevations. Or just A/C on one way and off the other with regen on(maybe this option)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thank you for proding me to look at this readout....was a struggle past week (with static version) but now very intuitive!!

Hope tomorrow will be telling because we might try no A/C no regen on the way in and way back A/C and regen....will going up and down elevations. Or just A/C on one way and off the other with regen on(maybe this option)
Have you been driving in ECO mode? I think the AC will limit itself to conditioning locations where occupants are sitting to save energy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you been driving in ECO mode? I think the AC will limit itself to conditioning locations where occupants are sitting to save energy.
There are 2 ECO Modes...one for driving and the other that is associated with A/C...so far we have not turned ECO A/C on and only drive mode ECO.....will definitely do as you suggest ECO A/C given just two of us....will monitor to see if rear A/C is off etc and mileage impact as well. Best

·
Registered
378 Posts
There are 2 ECO Modes...one for driving and the other that is associated with A/C...so far we have not turned ECO A/C on and only drive mode ECO.....will definitely do as you suggest ECO A/C given just two of us....will monitor to see if rear A/C is off etc and mileage impact as well. Best
Great. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
52 Posts
First leg highway 49 miles (65mph to 75mph) ups and down through hill with regen in ECO drive mode and no A/C 3.5 mi/KWh was the final leg… now in Berkely same as above on elevated highway 15 miles 4mi/kWh chose when to turn on regen…
Laat leg in a hour so when we get back home
Steven H et al, here it is....it is ALL good for us and hoping the same for all of you....
Last leg is an industrial freeway(ports etc) that gets out of Berkeley thro a traffic maze(called McArthur) and back on traffic bound highway..except for 3 miles all were highway with speeds 60 to 70 miles...We had the A/C on ECO mode with A/C turned on only to the front passenger seat(there is selector button as well which does that which was on) so the segment was 47 miles...57 minutes and A/C on it was 3.6mi/KWh....... tho' for most of the trip it was showing 3.7mi/KWh(active indicator folks that Steven H got me on is a life saver)....So my engineering kid calculated that for every 5 miles A/C used 1 mile and we recalibrated the car is 285 to 290 mile range car and so if you account for 20% AC the range drops to EPA 229miles (Voila).....

61 - 80 of 103 Posts