Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got notified that Solterra is available and going through pre-sell checks/charging. I am in AZ.
Really confused should I take the delivery or not. I am still going to test drive before making final decision.

1. I have ARIYA reserved quite early. But not sure when it will be available and if there will be any dealer mark up.
2. AZ registration fee (VLT) going up starting January 1st.
3. Still not sure if eligible for federal tax credit or not.
4. Mix reviews of Solterra. So not sure whom to trust.
5. Dealer will be offering at MSRP initially quoted when ordered.
6. Also need to check about financing. Not sure who will be offering better rates.

Any suggestions?

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Finally got notified that Solterra is available and going through pre-sell checks/charging. I am in AZ.
Really confused should I take the delivery or not. I am still going to test drive before making final decision.

1. I have ARIYA reserved quite early. But not sure when it will be available and if there will be any dealer mark up.
6. Also need to check about financing. Not sure who will be offering better rates.

Any suggestions?
Definitely test-drive it first! For as long/far as you possibly can. If you DON'T like/love it, then all the other points are moot.

· Registered
95 Posts
Congratulations! You will likely be one of the first to get a Solterra in Arizona. I think all of the Arizona dealers just got their demo vehicles on Monday.

Like what JayEM points out -- it is really up to you. I would totally ignore what everyone else says except for info based upon facts instead of opinions. There are good and bad things about every single car, including ICE cars.

· Registered
119 Posts
test drive is one thing as it is always that new car excitement trap. but don’t forget the things that don’t show up on a test drive like the 100kw charging and an estimated 1 HOUR to get to 80%. Looks like Nissan is 40 minutes on a Bigger battery but only looked at one site. it’ll be interesting in how the Solterra holds up on resale as I think charging limits the buyers and as the public becomes more educated on evs, I think they will see 100kw as already out of date...as the reviewers have also called out. I’d also consider how committed to the ev market is the manufacturer, as this will determine how well it is supported and frequency of OTA updates. Nissan is all in. Toyota I don’t think anyone believes is committed to EVs as the future.

for financing they were offering 3.9 for 48 months. My bank was at 5.75 for 4 or 5 years.

my 2 cents is there are a lot of EVs coming on the market in the next year and you shouldn’t need to compromise this early unless you just want to be the first to have the Toyota Ev. If you love it, buy it and enjoy the heck out of it! Send pics and stories!

· Registered
2 Posts
I got a Solterra on 14 Dec 2022 in Taiwan.

After a few days of driving, it just like a Lexus SUV with Subaru logo:LOL:

With comfortable and quiet cabin, excellent handling and stability, linear power output.

When you get used to the single pedal mode and Level 2 (Partial Driving Automation), driving becomes easy and fun.

Energy efficiency:
Normal road: 15~20kWh/100km
High way: not yet tested

Choose what you really like and that fits all your needs.

Good luck!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

· Registered
88 Posts

With comfortable and quiet cabin, excellent handling and stability, linear power output.

When you get used to the single pedal mode and Level 2 (Partial Driving Automation), driving becomes easy and fun.

Energy efficiency:

Good luck!

View attachment 1457
personal preference of course but based on my experience:
If you are looking for a quiet, comfortable car that has lots of ground clearance and is Subaru-like - it’s awesome. If you are looking for a road tripping car for pavement only, there are better options (mostly because of range/charging).

· Registered
114 Posts

Energy efficiency:

Good luck!

View attachment 1457
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your Solterra!
Have you spotted any others on the road? Keep us posted on what real world range is like.

· Registered
182 Posts
Maybe too late now, but here's my view on it.

It's going to be YOUR car. I can tell you how I would feel about it, but no one can make that decision for you. The fact that you have a different vehicle on order as well suggests that you aren't sold on the Subaru. On the other hand, you will have that Subaru soon, whereas the Nissan could be a while. Is thst a factor?

Not sure why the registration fee increase would be a factor. Even if you get in at the lower rate now, you're going to pay the higher rate to renew it anyway, and when you're spending tens of thousands on a vehicle, I can't see a registration fee change being a significant factor (unless AZ is very different from other states).

Speaking of pricing, tax credits, and financing, everyone is paying MSRP. It's a high demand vehicle,so why would a dealer compromise? Many greedy dealers are charging ADM (additional dealer markup) on EV's. Subaru has told their dealers not to do it, but some still are, and many other brands are too. For tax credits and financing, you need to understand what you can afford. If your ability to pay for the car is dependent upon certain conditions, then you really can't afford it. If paying the lowest cost possible is what matters to you, then there are much cheaper alternatives out there. Again, I can't speak for you, but I know what car I want, and whether I can afford it, tax credits and financing notwithstanding.

Finally reviews. Not sure why you need to trust someone. EVERY review is someone's opinion. I've seen some here, but even more from major automobile and consumer advocacy publications, as well as several on-line car reviewers. I made note of what they liked and what they didn't, and then evaluated whether that was a significant issue for me. Besides minor (in my book) details like no rear wiper, odd driving position, small steering wheel, no glove box, and such, the two significant complaints I've seen are the range and the slow charging time. I already know these aren't a factor for me (I will charge at home, and my daily use will only be 60 to 75 miles). Are they a problem for you?

TLDR: it's your choice. If I were in your place, I'd be driving a Solterra right now.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Test drove today.
First surprising thing it showed was 309 miles range. Not sure why. The advertised is 22x miles.

Seems spacious (like our Nissan Rogue SV). Especially second row has good leg room.
Driving wise feel normal. Not much wow factor except the quick acceleration.

S Pedal was not working fine. Was told that may be because battery 100% full.

I told them that I will decide by tomorrow morning if I want to buy.

· Registered
95 Posts
I drove a demo Solterra today as well, but from the Chandler, AZ dealership. I agree that it drove and felt like a normal car. I did not like all the 'auto' settings for the climate control which controls the HVAC, heated/ventilated seats, and the heated steering wheel. While I may come to appreciate the auto setting, I asked the salesperson to turn the auto off. It did bing and bong a lot without an obvious message all the time. I'll probably figure all of that out with time. It also showed 280 miles range when we turned off the HVAC. With it on, it showed 226 miles. I don't recall the charge level. At the end of our 15 minute test drive, it showed 215 miles.

Basically, it was exactly what I wanted...a normal car that is electric.

· Registered
20 Posts

Any suggestions?
Nice problem to have - jealous here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts