Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
So, are you a confirmed no buyer of the Solterra?
I'm leaning towards cancelling.

My original reason for signing up for this car was to tell Subaru that, yes, they need EVs in their stable. (Recall that Subaru said that their entry into the EV market was dependent on how the Solterra was received.) Subaru appears to be getting with the program.

My only other reason for an EV is because I hate paying the Iowa Corn Cartel an ethanol subsidy.

Thanks to cycling, I drive less than 1000 miles a year. So, I don't really need an EV. (I just sold an Crosstrek that means, after the federal incentive, I'll be out less than $20k for the Solterra.)

The only reason my toe is still in the water is because I'm wondering about the automotive supply chain going forward, particularly after the '24 election. An EV in the hand, even a lackluster one like the Solterra, is better than two EVs on order that might arrive late next year.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
266 Posts
If you just want an EV, and right now, there are other choices available. The Bolt EUV is much cheaper, better range, and same charging speed (also 400V). And it has some pretty good feature specs, too. Just not good for off-road.

OR, if you want the ultimate trip car (which the Solterra is not), get the Ioniq 5 (800V). Best bang for the buck out there. Feature rich, roomy and luxury car ride.

You obviously don't like the Solterra, so why just keep trying to talk yourself out of it. It is what it is, and won't get any better by complaining about it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree that the Solterra appears to be a lackluster vehicle. It seems most appropriate for old fogies smoking their stogies. (Eg, retired boomers with time on their hands who don't care about DC fast charging speeds.) For the last few years Consumer Reports has been advocating the Outback as the perfect car for seniors, given the wide opening doors and high seats. The Solterra is simply the perfect car for retired boomers with no care in the world. Millennials: seek elsewhere for a car to take into the hinterlands.
Not true at all. I’m not a boomer. I am a millennial. The Solterra is excellent. A lot of people will never DC fast charge. And majority will probably only fast charge it 5-10 times per year. People are making a bigger deal out of the charging speed than needed. I agree if you road trip a lot, look elsewhere. The Ioniq 5 is great for that. But everything other than the top trim has the worst interior I have ever seen in a car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not true at all. I’m not a boomer. I am a millennial. The Solterra is excellent. A lot of people will never DC fast charge. And majority will probably only fast charge it 5-10 times per year. People are making a bigger deal out of the charging speed than needed. I agree if you road trip a lot, look elsewhere. The Ioniq 5 is great for that. But everything other than the top trim has the worst interior I have ever seen in a car.
I'm with @Ducatista. I'm not an old fogey and I don't smoke stogies. I won't need a fast charge except maybe a couple times a year on a road trip. I don't do deep back-country camping and I don't tow anything. The Solterra is more than ideal for me. Yes, it's the first production year and Subaru will iron-out any glitches for future builds and maybe even change the body style (remember the first generation Prius that looked like a Corolla?)

I don't plan to keep the car for more than a few years after getting my federal tax credit. And I may be wrong, but the resale value on the 2023 Solterra will be great...at least for me in the Pacific Northwest: Subaru + EV = consumer wet dream.

And about the wheels falling off? Give me a break. The issue will get resolved and we'll get our vehicles soon. Maybe not the month the dealership "promised" us but my dealer told me early that the delivery date wasn't set in stone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My sales rep friend is at the solterra live training in Austin today. What questions would you like me to ask him?
Your friend is probably back from Austin by now, though he probably can answer my questions from memory:
1. Does the Touring have auto-down windows for all four? Looks like the Subaru.com photos show only auto-down on the driver's window.
2. Does the Touring have auto folding sideview mirrors? We love that on our 2020 Outback since we can easily tell if it is locked or not. Oh the little things that make us happy :)
3. Do the rear seats recline a little like the Outback does?
4. Are there seat position memory buttons? It vaguely looks like there are Set-1-2 buttons on some of the subaru.com photos.
5. Does the Solterra need premium unleaded? OK, obviously a joke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your friend is probably back from Austin by now, though he probably can answer my questions from memory:
1. Does the Touring have auto-down windows for all four? Looks like the Subaru.com photos show only auto-down on the driver's window.
2. Does the Touring have auto folding sideview mirrors? We love that on our 2020 Outback since we can easily tell if it is locked or not. Oh the little things that make us happy :)
3. Do the rear seats recline a little like the Outback does?
4. Are there seat position memory buttons? It vaguely looks like there are Set-1-2 buttons on some of the subaru.com photos.
5. Does the Solterra need premium unleaded? OK, obviously a joke.
6. Does the Solterra have power passenger seat?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts