Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
They HAVEN'T announced that it DIDN'T restart (and that's the kind of thing they would announce).

BUT...

It's unknown if that assembly line is currently building bZ4X and Solterra, or just Crown (and possibly Mirai).

The growing number of delivery dates being pushed back to December 30 isn't a good sign.

It doesn't appear any new VINs have been assigned lately.
I wouldn't read too much in to the pushing back of delivery dates. This is probably expectation management on Subaru's part, and not an indication that there won't be any deliveries before then. My order was placed on 4/27; at the time, the sales manager told me Subaru's official delivery date was Sept 25th, but it could arrive as early as Memorial Day (that was before the recall, obviously). I think, at this point, they'd rather underpromise and overdeliver.

Same story with VIN assignment; assuming that there is a fix and it requires parts, you don't know what allocation of those parts is going to fix vehicles already produced as opposed to stocking for future production.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't read too much in to the pushing back of delivery dates. This is probably expectation management on Subaru's part, and not an indication that there won't be any deliveries before then. My order was placed on 4/27; at the time, the sales manager told me Subaru's official delivery date was Sept 25th, but it could arrive as early as Memorial Day (that was before the recall, obviously). I think, at this point, they'd rather underpromise and overdeliver.

Same story with VIN assignment; assuming that there is a fix and it requires parts, you don't know what allocation of those parts is going to fix vehicles already produced as opposed to stocking for future production.
To echo - my order was also confirmed on 4/27 and my delivery date was July/August pre recall. Decmeber might or might not mean anything v0v.

·
Registered
167 Posts
To echo - my order was also confirmed on 4/27 and my delivery date was July/August pre recall. Decmeber might or might not mean anything v0v.
I got email from my sales guy saying that my October delivery date has been pushed back to late December.

I was originally OK with the October delivery date because that would give me two months to hear the reviews of real owners. But if everyone is getting a Solterra delivered in December, then I won't be able to hear the reviews of real owners. Time to cancel and wait to see what Subaru produces on its own manufacturing line in 2026.

(BTW, did anyone else see that the Ford Raptor is getting recalled because the lug tightening robot on their manufacturing line wasn't properly tightening the Raptor's lug nuts? ... Stupid robots...)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another article on the Motomachi plant. They have hired 600 new people for line #1 (bZ4X, Solterra, Crown and Mirai) and now have 1,000 people on that line. 60% new workers on the line? Hmmmm?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd also question what makes you sure it's a Solterra, not a Buzzforks. The parts that differentiate the two models haven't been added yet.

And to address an earlier comment on the new employees, you don't add 600 newbies to a line that employs 400 people. What that means is that BECAUSE of the increased staffing requirements caused by line #1, they are hiring 600 people, who will be distributed throughout the plant and experienced folks reassigned accordingly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It’s awful glossy for a primer coat.
Maybe, but there's an awful lot of extra light on that chasis, too. And the camera captures more light than the eye does. I've photographed models that look really glossy in the pix, but not so under normal lighting. Not saying it Isn't paint color and the original statement is wrong, just that I'm not sure it's definitive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe, but there's an awful lot of extra light on that chasis, too. And the camera captures more light than the eye does. I've photographed models that look really glossy in the pix, but not so under normal lighting. Not saying it Isn't paint color and the original statement is wrong, just that I'm not sure it's definitive.
The primer, if you can call it that, is not shiny at all. Those cars are dipped into sealer bath and run through an oven, a primer is applied (dull - final paint will not adhere to glossy primer) and then run through an oven. They are painted then by robots (base coat and clear coat at same time for adhesion) and then run through an oven again. That's final paint in that photo. The primer and paint process are probably electrostatic to get them to lay down into a nice, even flat layer. The ovens are around 400 degrees and the cars run through them for at least 30 minutes (just a FYI as I've worked in and around those lines and the cars are hot, hot, hot when they come out lol). Also, there are other prep steps between the coats but not listed here for simplicity.

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
Just to highlight that the gray isn't a primer, here's a red Solterra and white vehicle (could be either EV) from the same article.
I think that red one is a BZ4X. Notice the charging door. It appears to have the 'electric' badge that Toyota uses vs the EV badge that Subaru uses. Both the BZ and the Solterra come in the red colour (not sure if the red is identical though)

Toyota
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Subaru
Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think that red one is a BZ4X. Notice the charging door. It appears to have the 'electric' badge that Toyota uses vs the EV badge that Subaru uses. Both the BZ and the Solterra come in the red colour (not sure if the red is identical though)

Toyota
View attachment 1131

Subaru
View attachment 1132
Side note: I don't think the US gets either badge. I really like them both and would be happy to have one of them but nope...not here...lol!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts