Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I was gonna plug in my Soltera and let it charge overnight (as I used to do with the Crosstrek), but decided to do a day charge so that I could monitor and review the status on the Solterra app.

Started my charge this morning, the Solterra app popped a status showing 35% on the battery at the start of charging and estimated charging time of 6 hrs 50 minutes. The charger and car are outside and the temp is 30 degrees F.

Plugged it into my Autel level 2 charger with a maximum 40 amp capacity. The Autel app provides more info regarding energy usage and reflects the power flow over the last few hours, the average is 31amp 7.2 Kw.

In the Autel setup, you can include your power cost from the utility, so you see easily your cost per charge (summarizing by month in your charge history).

I’m not concerned about the speed of charge, as long as I can fully charge the vehicle overnight. I expect that the collaboration between Toyota and Subaru has resulted in an intelligent charging system that is managing the battery for me (set it and forget it). The manuals I have read have no information about battery conditioning in the power, charging, and EV system sections.

Based upon the start time, and remaining charge time shown in the app, I am anticipating that the battery will take closer to 6 hrs.

The attached photos are a mix of the Solterra and Autel apps.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Electronic device
Font Parallel Logo Brand Electric blue

Font Parallel Logo Rectangle Circle

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yesterday, the lovely Washington weather meant driving in freezing conditions up on the mountain, then dropping downhill to freezing rain, haze, and strong winds.

I pushed my first full charge to 2 days, 2 trips down and back up the foothills, a visit to my Mom, and several stops for groceries and supplies on the 2nd day.

I was disappointed that the charging stations nearest me were not working. This created a bit of battery anxiety, as I knew I was going to be pushing my battery and I am driving home uphill for 20 miles with no nearby chargers.

I dropped one errand and got home with 30 miles left on my battery. If the weather had been worse, I expect the battery would have been closer to 20 miles remaining.

It appears that I turned off Eco mode at some point, and realized it when I was down to about 100 miles left on the battery. I also needed to turn on regenerative braking, but also did this late on the battery. The learning curve is Real.

I’m headed out again today (2nd charge) to do my last errand for the weekend. I’m not gonna do any efficiency efforts today…it is just one drive of about 100 miles round trip and I’m going to enjoy all the comforts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts